The End of Talisman

By chemical22, in Talisman

Yupp, knew this for a week now.

Sadness is unnecessary. 4th edition grew as much as it could, and if anyone says it needs more expansions is lying :)

With this development we at least now have a change at getting another edition in, say, 2 years.

Having said all that, I'm a little sad we didn't get expert characters from second edition city (archmage etc.).

I'm wondering if FFG's announcement to start Runewars miniatures would be in direct conflict with Games Workshop's table top miniatures lines and has either affected the companies relationship that they couldn't agree on a way forward or whether FFG felt they can go it alone and simply concentrate on Terrinoth as a setting rather than paying for a different fantasy licence.

Personally I Love Terrinoth and Talisman but I feel Cataclysm is a fitting final expansion and a good point to end. I guess (hopefully) FFG will replace the fantasy Games Workshop lines with Terrinoth setting lines. So Decent LCG... Awesome... Terrinoth RPG... Awesome... Terrinoth table top miniatures game.... Already being made.

If they are going to concentrate and expand on Terrinoth as an IP then I totally get it. Why wouldn't they.

I have faith in you FFG.

With the rumours already circulating this isn't at all surprising. I am doubtful we will see another edition for many years, unless it's something drastically different, though I would be happy to be proven wrong. I am still a little bit sad, I was one of the few who would have loved a 4th edition Timescape :) Though we have tons of material to play with for years to come, more exciting for me personally; I have finally started painting my miniatures :)

I really need to take a trip to a local printer and see if I can print quality cards. Then I'm making homebrew expansions mwahahaha

Here's a question, did FFG terminate the license or did Games Workshop? Or was it a mutual agreement? I wonder if the negotiations to renew the license weren't working out, so FFG realized this and that's why they started to come out with their own minis line. I also wonder whether the purchase by Asmodee had anything to do with it.

On the Talisman end, though, realize that all the 4th edition stuff will be going like hotcakes and the prices will shoot up when no longer available. 4th Edition is now officially a collector's edition.

Here's a question, did FFG terminate the license or did Games Workshop? Or was it a mutual agreement? I wonder if the negotiations to renew the license weren't working out, so FFG realized this and that's why they started to come out with their own minis line. I also wonder whether the purchase by Asmodee had anything to do with it.

Unlikely we will know for sure any time soon.

I really need to take a trip to a local printer and see if I can print quality cards. Then I'm making homebrew expansions mwahahaha

That's the reason I have stayed away from homebrews, no idea where to get it done, finding somewhere in the UK that does too quality printing

Sadness is unnecessary. 4th edition grew as much as it could, and if anyone says it needs more expansions is lying :)

With this development we at least now have a change at getting another edition in, say, 2 years.

I'm very sad about the Relic and about the reprints.

I was also hoping that the next edition will also be made by FFG, with everything they have learned along way considered during the design.

Well, maybe the Portal will do the fifth one. B-)

You never know, they might make a talisman-like game set in one of their other franchises (Game of Thrones, Star Wars etc.).

My only regret: No expansion to connect the Highlands and Woodland. Orherwise I'm quite satisfied!

remember people FFG restarted Runebound. Also I don't think that Talisman would collide with anything but new Runebound. Hope I wiil menage to get all expansions before the prices skyrocket lol.

I wouldn't expect any Talisman-like game for a while from FFG.

I can only speculate that there is some form of non-compete agreement in their contract and at the very least, it would be a tip-toe around to make sure there weren't any infringements.

I hope I am mistaken - but I think if this is not the final resting place, then it may be a very long time before we see anything resembling a 5th edition coming out.

Edited by chemical22

The news of the GW, FF partnership ending saddens me. I just this year rediscovered my joy of Talisman after not having played it in many years. I guess I will try to get all I can of the 4th edition expansions before I am no longer able. :(

Here's a question, did FFG terminate the license or did Games Workshop?

More likely it was GW. GW have a very bad rep here in Australia but not regarding that can't see FFG just pulling the plug.

But we knew this was on the cards maybe back when the Cataclysm was released.

Yupp, knew this for a week now.

Having said all that, I'm a little sad we didn't get expert characters from second edition city (archmage etc.).

It doesn't "need" another expansion, but could use 2 more: Timescape and a mini board for the other side.

On the Talisman end, though, realize that all the 4th edition stuff will be going like hotcakes and the prices will shoot up when no longer available. 4th Edition is now officially a collector's edition.

Reported on BGG: Except for limited titles stock is already gone from Miniature Market, CSI, Cardhaus and Funagain...

Ya the only thing that pisses me off about this is no fill in to be the counterpart of the deep realms.

Ya the only thing that pisses me off about this is no fill in to be the counterpart of the deep realms.

Agreed, surely in the time since cataclysm release they could have made that small expansion to tie up that final part between woodlands and Highlands. Oh well.

Agreed, surely in the time since cataclysm release they could have made that small expansion to tie up that final part between woodlands and Highlands. Oh well.

Lets do it ourselves, pool our resources and make a homebrew. Better than just getting "pissed off".

Lets do it ourselves, pool our resources and make a homebrew. Better than just getting "pissed off".

Well what would you create? i think it'd be cool to make that seas expansion everyone wanted

That's brilliant, and typical of you. No homebrew will have the same clout or feel as an official expansion. Unless Jon New.

Edited by Joker2016

I've already 'commissioned' some board art for something and have sourced a number of CC art pieces for one half.

I'd be quite happy if it became a community project.

I've already 'commissioned' some board art for something and have sourced a number of CC art pieces for one half.

That's fantastic Jon. I'm happy to allow you to organise or if you want me to start something that's fine too (or anyone else for that matter) Have you gotten anything lease commissioned or do you think we should just grab artwork?

That's brilliant, and typical of you.

I do not know what's that supposed to mean?

Edited by Rigmaster