Using Tachankas

By PiratesWrath, in Only War Game Masters

Hello. I was hoping for some help on using Tachankas in Only War. For reference on what those are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachanka

Long story short one of my players thinks Tachankas are the coolest thing ever so I'd like to make his day by having them be used by the PC's regiment. I was hoping people here might have some ideas on how to run a horse-drawn vehicle like the Tachanka as they only seem to have rules for either riding horses or piloting regular vehicles, nothing in between.

I suppose the only thing I'm hung up on is how to handle it's movement. Give it a tactile speed like other vehicles or use the movement of the horses (or whatever beast we use) pulling it? The other stats seem simple enough after I figure that out.

Any thoughts?

I would look at giving it speed of the horses

I'm guessing a rough rider force? They will mix well, and provide a heavy slot.

I have to admit that those are kinda of interesting idea, and I will be stealing them for another game I'm playing in.

Hmmm. I'd suggest lifting chariot movement rules from WHFB, especially the ones relating to losses in number of creatures pulling.

Otherwise: Light, 4-wheeled, lightly or unarmored, mounting infantry grade heavy weapon (possibly twin-linked)on 360 degree mount...

Yeah, you've just reinvented the Warbuggy!

mounting infantry grade heavy weapon (possibly twin-linked)on 360 degree mount...

360? Shooting your own horses is a bad idea :)

mounting infantry grade heavy weapon (possibly twin-linked)on 360 degree mount...

360? Shooting your own horses is a bad idea :)

It retains some limitations of both a horse (generally not armored) and a wheeled vehicle.

Heavy cavalry not dependent on fuel may sometimes be a good idea. But chariot types lose advantages over plain dragoons when there's much wider and better choice of tough mounts.

Normally a 2 to 4 horse cart can carry more and/or heavier weapons and supplies than the mightiest breed of a horse, yes… but in 40k you may have fun options like cyber-grox dragoons (that would downgrade to "mere" common grox if cut off from their bases for too long, and after a while may even have bred/engineered variant groxes). Which also allows new possibilities.