Called shot half action?

By Derelius, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

It's a silly question, but me and some friends just started playing Deathwatch, and one of them swears they read somewhere that there's a starting talent, or something in their Armour or just plain being a Space Marine... that knocked Called Shot down to a half action.

I can't find it anywhere, and I don't want to just be like "you're crazy let's just move on".

I figured I'd bother strangers and give my friend the benefit of the doubt than just letting it go without at least trying to track it down. We're still learning all that DW has in it.

Thanks in advance!

I had not seen any Action-reducing abilities like that for Called Shot; only Talents that reduce the negative modifiers (Deadeye Shot, Sharpshooter), nor anything with inherent Space Marine nature or Power Armor.

It is possible that your friend may be thinking of one of the concurrent FFG WH40K RPG (1st edition) series. While I have never played either, the Desperado and the Vindicare Assassin from Dark Heresy (1st Ed.): Ascension can do some rule-bending shots.

GM-wise, I would not say, "You're crazy, let's just move on". Better to say, "If (or when) you find it, show me. Then we can implement it." This route, you have the Player do the work, if he really wants it; and also not being negative towards him.

Remember, GM-wise: if a Player wants something, it is as much their Burden of Proof to do the work for it, NOT just the GM handing things out or (metaphorically &/or literally) slapping their hand.

Hope this helps.

Edited by pendrake71

I had not seen any Action-reducing abilities like that for Called Shot; only Talents that reduce the negative modifiers (Deadeye Shot, Sharpshooter), nor anything with inherent Space Marine nature or Power Armor.

It is possible that your friend may be thinking of one of the concurrent FFG WH40K RPG series. I have never played either, but the Desperado and Vindicare Assassin from Dark Heresy: Ascension can do some rule-bending shots.

GM-wise, I would not say, "You're crazy, let's just move on". Better to say, "If (or when) you find it, show me. Then we can implement it." This route, you have the Player do the work, if he really wants it; and also not being negative towards him.

Remember, GM-wise: if a Player wants something, it is as much their Burden of Proof to do the work for it, NOT just the GM handing things out or (metaphorically &/or literally) slapping their hand.

Hope this helps.

Much appreciated

Edited by Derelius

Here is the rule the player was referring to. On a side note, this applies to all Space Marine Power Armor, including those worn by Chaos Space Marines.

ddd466922f56454c90a97d5384ac5030.jpg

Here is the rule the player was referring to. On a side note, this applies to all Space Marine Power Armor, including those worn by Chaos Space Marines.

ddd466922f56454c90a97d5384ac5030.jpg

Welp that solves that mystery... Thank you!

There's seriously so much to this system.... I remember when we played Dark Heresy years ago when it first came out, and playing DW now is overwhelming in comparison.

Maybe it's just because missing one sentence in the mass of the book means missing a pretty important mechanic.

Or maybe I need to learn to read. :)

Thanks again guys!

Good reading eye by SCKoNi :) , I certainly missed that myself.

Though the counter-point of defense is that the FFG WH40K books are often lacking in clarity. :mellow:

@ Derelius ...

However... I still would have your Player try to find it himself, rather than you (the GM) just giving it to him. If/when if he finds it, you will be ready to accept it (meaning you will not have to argue the point, since you know it is already there), can congratulate him on his hard work (making him feel good about himself), and thus cleanly allow the mechanic with both sides (GM & Player) content.

Conversely, if he chooses not to do the research work, then let him flounder with Full Action Called Shots.

This way, you teach your Player to do the research work himself, rather than making you (or others) do it for him. The former promotes Good Players, the latter foments Bad/Lazy Players.

Edited by pendrake71

I do see why it's there and it does mean you are limited to single shot with called shot or half action aim and single shot. It would defeat the purpose for called shot to be a full action since it would leave nothing for that round to do. If you were going to waste a full round doing nothing you would be better off full action aiming for next round bonus.

I'd add that this should apply ONLY to marines wearing their dang helmets. The guys who are going for the dramatic look by going without a helmet can't use it.

I'd add that this should apply ONLY to marines wearing their dang helmets. The guys who are going for the dramatic look by going without a helmet can't use it.

That goes without saying, the bonus comes from the helmet after all.