Moving the Reaper in the City

By Osbo25, in Talisman Rules Questions

This discussion (on page 6) over on the Steam forum raises an interesting question about moving the Reaper in the City. One person is claiming that the Reaper moves in the City according to the same rules as players, meaning that you can move the Reaper into a shop without having the exact die roll. The person making this claim cites a rule from the Reaper expansion, albeit he cites the rule incorrectly. He says, "The rules on the Grim Reaper say that it moves like a character except for passing through the Sentinel and it doesn't need to use the Boatman at the Tavern to cross the River from the Tavern space, and also the Grim Reaper cannot enter the Inner Region."

That's not quite accurate. The rule actually states, "[. . .] move the Grim Reaper according to the normal rules for moving a character, with the following exceptions [. . .]".

It would appear that the key word in the rule is "normal." Do the movement rules established in the City expansion count as "normal"? I would think not, seeing as they are exceptional rules that apply only in the City map. As such it would be necessary for the Reaper to move the exact die roll because that would constitute a normal movement.

However, because the normal movement in the City expansion is to allow characters to "enter a shop as long as they have sufficient movement to enter the shop," it would perhaps seem permissible to allow the Reaper to move in such a way as well. After all, that is what is normal in the City.

So which is it? Can you move the Reaper into a shop without using the full movement according to normal movement in the City? Or does the Reaper need to use all of his movement points according to normal movement for the rest of the game?

(For the record, the DE requires you to use all of the movement points. I'm only bringing this up because a number of you don't like references to the DE when discussing these matters. :) )

Edited by Osbo25

Do the movement rules established in the City expansion count as "normal"?

Yes, for the City board movement rules from the city expansion are normal.

Well does it say anything in the "following exceptions" that goes against the City movement:

Because it is difficult for both the Boatman and the Sentinel to refuse anything to the Reaper, he may freely cross the Storm River at the Sentinel, or from the Temple to the Tavern (or vice versa), at the cost of a single movement point for either.

The Grim Reaper will not cross the Portal of Power, as he is already present in the Inner Region.

No.. So the Grim Reaper is allowed, But there is this from the City rules:

Encounters in Shops
If a character enters a shop, he must either encounter the shop or a character in that space. If a character encounters the shop, he must follow the instructions on the space, such as purchasing a card or performing an action. Characters cannot enter a shop and “do nothing.”

Now the Grim Reaper moves according to the normal rules for moving a character and these are normal movement rules for characters for the city region. So the Grim Reaper cannot enter a shop and "do nothing" thus Rrimmy cannot buy stuff or do stuff characters do so the only way the Good' old Rimmy can enter a shop is if a character is there too "do something with" .

Mind you it would be funny to have the Reaper buy all the flails and then bog off "laughing" with delight :) .

The Reaper Expansion came way before the City Expansion, so it cannot be claimed that the Reaper may stop without moving his full movement. The normal move mentioned in the Reaper Rulesheet refers to standard character movement according to the core Rulebook - you roll the die and must move the full movement as indicated by the die roll. Movement in the City is NOT normal movement according to the core Rulebook and is special movement given by the City Rulebook. Therefore the Reaper must still roll the die and move the full distance as indicated by the die roll. The Jail cannot be voluntarily entered by characters, but the Reaper can because the Jailers could not refuse entry to the Reaper.

The Reaper Expansion came way before the City Expansion, so it cannot be claimed that the Reaper may stop without moving his full movement. The normal move mentioned in the Reaper Rulesheet refers to standard character movement according to the core Rulebook - you roll the die and must move the full movement as indicated by the die roll. Movement in the City is NOT normal movement according to the core Rulebook and is special movement given by the City Rulebook. Therefore the Reaper must still roll the die and move the full distance as indicated by the die roll. The Jail cannot be voluntarily entered by characters, but the Reaper can because the Jailers could not refuse entry to the Reaper.

I know what you are saying here dude. But in all seriousness you cannot state that set release is a claim against the Reaper moves like a character in the City Region, given too there is no mention of normal move to the cities move being any different or special (unless I missed something of course :) ). All it says is this:

Movement in the City: To move in the City, Characters roll one die as normal and move the indicated number of spaces. However etc etc.

So characters move in the City Region like this "as written in the City Rulebook" and so does the Reaper. Not characters have a special movement in the City Region "as written in the City Rulebook" but the Reaper moves like "normal" because he only moves normally "as written in the Reaper Rules".

But I do use your Grim Reaper HQ pdf (that I recommend for all players in this regards) when I "we" play because I do not like the Reaper doing this in the City Region. And I think it desperately needs to be FAQ'ed or updated for these Region boards.

Edited by Uvatha

Do the movement rules established in the City expansion count as "normal"?

Yes, for the City board movement rules from the city expansion are normal.

Now the Grim Reaper moves according to the normal rules for moving a character and these are normal movement rules for characters for the city region. So the Grim Reaper cannot enter a shop and "do nothing" thus Rrimmy cannot buy stuff or do stuff characters do so the only way the Good' old Rimmy can enter a shop is if a character is there too "do something with" .

Movement in the City: To move in the City, Characters roll one die as normal and move the indicated number of spaces. However etc etc.

So if the Reaper moves in the City according to the normal movement of characters according to the rules of the City expansion, then that would mean that the Reaper cannot move in the opposite direction down the street. He must move in the same direction as the characters. After all, there are no exceptions written into the rules that permit him to do otherwise. (That's your standard, Uvatha--whether or not there's an exception written into the rules.)

So if the Reaper moves in the City according to the normal movement of characters according to the rules of the City expansion, then that would mean that the Reaper cannot move in the opposite direction down the street. He must move in the same direction as the characters. After all, there are no exceptions written into the rules that permit him to do otherwise. (That's your standard, Uvatha--whether or not there's an exception written into the rules.)

Yep that's right, there is nothing saying the movement in the city region is "special movement" its classed as "normal movement" but... Like I said before I, we use the Grim Reaper HQ pdf Talismanamsilat made because I, we all agree it is a lot better if the Reaper and Werewolf move like this in the City Region.

Link https://www.dropbox.com/s/n53u8nngozhaw6p/Grim%20Reaper%20HQ.pdf?dl=0

And I think Nomad also agree that's why the Reaper, Werewolf move like that in the DE.

Mind you I do not understand the "That's your standard, Uvatha--whether or not there's an exception written into the rules" part. Because if there was a exception written in the rules for it then the Reaper would move that way instead?

Edited by Uvatha