"Long-term" Fatigue/Stress - need input

By Kaptain O, in WFRP House Rules

I am thinking of adding "Long Term" Fatigue/Stress to my game as a house rule, the concept is pretty much as it sounds, rather than being temporarily winded and catching your breath "Long Term" Fatigue comes from extended activity and requires a full night's rest to get rid of it.

I would grant LTF when a player is forced marching, or getting less sleep than he needs - It would have an effect equal to one point of regular fatigue, but would not be removable except by a full nights sleep (and only 1 per night).

I am also considering making it so if you have fatigue/stress more than your TOU/WILL then you replace one of your regular fatigue/stress with a long term version of the same - this seems like it may be a little harsh however, and really punishes fatigue, especially as once you start to have LTF points it makes it easier to add more...

Maybe add the long term points when you have short-term f/s equal to your tou/will? that way having 1/2 points of lt f/s wont snowball into more points. Or maybe you need to have passed out from too much f/s to convert one to LT f/s, that seems too long to wait before the LT kicks in to me though...

I don't have any specific rules suggestion, but just wanted to say I've used the same thing in one of my campaigns, and will do so if/when it comes up in the other.

I had a couple of players who went on half water rations. I gave each of them a fatigue and stress which was removed after they found a plentiful fresh water source. It was easy enough to remember which fatigue was normal fatigue, and which was thirst induced fatigue and remove the proper number due to rest or replenishment.

Anyway, I think your on the right track. Fatigue and/or Stress make more sense than do inflicting wounds for these types of situations.

I guess its fairly simple to state to the players that they will have a minimum of 1 fatigue/stress untill they get the proper rest. it should be easy to handle.

This is really funny.

I wrote some up and was coming here to 'publish' them here.

I'm a big fan of trying to keep it very simple so:

Gaining Linger Fatigue/Stress

When a stat becomes fatigued or distressed , it is marked appropriately with a Lingering Fatigue or Stress.
This Lingering Fatigue or Stress point does not go away by normal resting or even magic
A stat can only having one Lingering Fatigue or Stress on it at any one time. Thus a character will only EVER have 3 Lingering Fatigue and/or Stress.

Curing Lingering Stress/Fatigue

Lingering Stress and Fatigue represents the body's tension. This tension needs to be released by a little something call recreation. Quite simply, the character must take time out of their busy monster killing, dungeon crawling schedule, to go do something that reminds them that they are human (or demi-human). Whatever that something is, it should be relaxing and indulgent. I typically invite my players to spend their hard earned cash on things of extravagance. Buying a huge meal, taking a private bath or visiting the ladies at the local public house. Whatever floats their boat.

I would say one day of recreation to remove 1 Lingering Stress or Fatigue is appropriate.