Acquiring Basic Actions after chargen

By mac40k, in WFRP House Rules

A character that starts with Agility 2 cannot start with Dodge. I'm considering letting them have it for free if/when they raise their Agility to 3. It's not that they don't know how to Dodge, it's just that they are no good at it until they raise the associated Characteristic up enough to become proficient. The same for Parry and Block,so a character would start with all of these, just be unable to use any that they don't meet the requirements for. Notice that Block specifically has a requirement to be shield equipped, but only Toughness 3+ is required to start with the card, so the precedent for having a card that you can't use because you don't meet all of the requirements has already been set. Since the player who starts with Agility 2 spent his creation points elsewhere, whereas the player who had to spend the creation points to raise theirs to 3 gave up something else to do so, it might be a bit unbalancing. Thoughts?

The FAQ states that PCs who become Initiates later in the game must acquire the basic action cards Curry Favour, Blessing of Health, Minor Blessing, and Minor Ward separately. An Initiate can take one fixed slot action card and two others besides while in that career, so he can't even purchase all of the basic actions cards that another Initiate starts with let alone any other blessings. I assume the same is true of PCs entering the Apprentice Wizard career who also can only purchase 3 action cards while in that career as well even though the FAQ does not address this. This makes becoming a Priest or Wizard much harder to do once adventuring starts. I'm considering a house rule to let characters who enter these careers later in the game acquire the starting basic action cards for free as part of their initial training in that career. Since characters who start in those careers get them for free and don't have to spend any creation points on them, I see this as being even less unbalancing than the other basic action cards, but wanted to see what others thought since it definitely goes against the FAQ.

I believe the restriction is clearly, and only, due to the character's limited ability. If the character improves that ability, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to use the basic actions.

I would agree, am thinking how I will handle it - maybe the pc must spend 1 "action advance" to get curry favour and all 3 basics.

I was going to make them pay for dodge/parry/block but you might be right and maybe they should get it for free, that certainly reduces the automatic must put 3 in each physical stat feelings that can occur.

I do allow my PCs to pick up the basic combat action cards once they meet the requirements.

I do not allow my PCs to pick up the magic related action cards without purchasing them first (including new Apprentices - though in this case I allow them to buy both for 1 advance as part of their education).