Runewars Miniatures Game end of Battlelore?

By magicrealm, in BattleLore

The xwing armada comparision doesn't work because it is Star Wars.

There really is no ideal comparision. But if battlelore is dead, it is not due to Runewars.

There really is no ideal comparision. But if battlelore is dead, it is not due to Runewars.

If BL2 has no more support, it's [only] because the released stuff didn't sell as they calculated. Simple but true...

If BL2 has no more support, it's [only] because the released stuff didn't sell as they calculated. Simple but true...

Sad story, yeah.

But BL is in my opinion the nicer version of chess combined with MtG. To do some more adv would have been an idea.

I've heard this kind of statements before and fairly often actually, but I've always wondered on what data they are based.

I can see however how, if it's true that this game didn't sell enough, all we would be left with on the expansions front would be some wishful thinking. My personal one is that FFG would try to shake things up for this game by releasing a big box stand-alone expansion (something like the base game, but with Elves vs Orcs) that could both serve as an entry point for new players and as an expansion for the old fans. I wish so much this could happen!

Edited by AlasDemigod

I've heard this kind of statements before and fairly often actually, but I've always wondered on what data they are based.

I can see however how, if it's true that this game didn't sell enough, all we would be left with on the expansions front would be some wishful thinking. My personal one is that FFG would try to shake things up for this game by releasing a big box stand-alone expansion (something like the base game, but with Elves vs Orcs) that could both serve as an entry point for new players and as an expansion for the old fans. I wish so much this could happen!

I have no idea how much they sold and what may have been the calculation of FFG. But, like we're living in capitalism... it's finally the only thing that matters for the Support of BL2. It would feel even worse if it sold ok and loses its support anyway (Focus on iron throne or something).

Imho, no way with the "second base-game". I'm quite sure they won't lance a high-cost (as the base-game) Expansion. New Players will buy the basegame, existing players don't want to spend so much money on one time... but i would like it a lot

Edited by phalgast

Yep but why stuff didn't sell as they calculated ? Perhaps because FFG released the game then stop to communicate about it then released a bunch of extensions and then stop to communicate about it.

I think that many players did not buy the game because they thought that the support would not be good enough from FFG.

Yep but why stuff didn't sell as they calculated ? Perhaps because FFG released the game then stop to communicate about it then released a bunch of extensions and then stop to communicate about it.

I think that many players did not buy the game because they thought that the support would not be good enough from FFG.

Good point about support. They let the first edition die under their control, then they did Westeros and it didn't seem to do so well. So when they released the second edition, maybe they weren't thinking about how cautious people would be. I wonder how many people would have purchased it i it had a faster release schedule. But then, that might be just as likely to scare some people off.

Still, I do think there were quite a few players who dropped the game when no expansions had been released because they saw no new content on the horizon. I'm especially thinking of Grubman (sp?) on the BGG forums. He played the core set to death. If anyone had played every combination of core scenarios, it's him. I remember how sad I was when he announced he was putting BattleLore away because after playing it weekly for a year or something, it finally got stale. I suspect the rest of us who stck with it just hadn't played the core as thoroughly.

It seems to me (without any sort of data to back this up) that they should have announced tge elves closer on the heels of the Undead, to reassure people that BattleLore is not dead.

But I still hold onto my belief that BattleLore will get the elves in time.

Battlelore is a mixture of tactics, chance, and zone capturing that can be played in about an hour with two people who know what they are doing. One hour including set-up and tear down.

The movement is pretty limited, but the game is super simple to learn and to teach. I doubt that RuneWars is even attempting to compete with what Battlelore is doing.

I think ffg has reached the point of killing the game with this wait. If they release Elves now, it probably will be too late. So many people have been quitting and selling their copies.

I think ffg has reached the point of killing the game with this wait. If they release Elves now, it probably will be too late. So many people have been quitting and selling their copies.

This is something I really will never understand. The game is perfectly playable with two factions only, thus with the content of the core set. It's not like there is something missing making the game unplayable. And we don't have 2 factions only, we have 3, and each of them comes with several unit types, so, replayability is huge. Selling a game because there's no 4th faction seems rather senseless. Selling a game because it's no fun? Sure. Selling a game because it's repetitive? Sure. Selling a game because you want Elves but there are none? It's kindergarten behaviour

Anyhow, it's possibly worth saying that Jonathan Ying, who developed Undead, quit working for FFG last spring, so, it's something to take into account when complaining about no news

Anyhow, it's possibly worth saying that Jonathan Ying, who developed Undead, quit working for FFG last spring, so, it's something to take into account when complaining about no news

Should that give us slightly more hope?

Descent MoB and undead for Battlelore were announced with less than 2 months interval. I think the same could happen for elves in Terrinoth. I would wait for elves announcement in Runewars/Descent/Runebound. If I don't hear about Battlelore around that time, then I'd loose the remainder of my hope.

Should that give us slightly more hope?

Dunno. It's just something to keep into consideration. Then, I really have no clue. I don't see actual reasons for the line being interrupted (they own the IP, and they need to push it as one of their primary fantasy setting, considering that now all GW-related lines are gone), but I imagine that time will tell.

I'm keeping my hopes up until GenCon 2017: if by that time (this includes the InFlight report) we get no news about BattleLore, then I'll believe the line is dead.

I belive they will release the elfs. GW is leaving and FFG will lose a lot of titles and offers from its repertoire. They must make new titles and make more pupular the running titles and universes. Runebould a nice univers. I think the Runewars will have a 2nd Edition too.

This is something I really will never understand. The game is perfectly playable with two factions only, thus with the content of the core set. It's not like there is something missing making the game unplayable. And we don't have 2 factions only, we have 3, and each of them comes with several unit types, so, replayability is huge. Selling a game because there's no 4th faction seems rather senseless. Selling a game because it's no fun? Sure. Selling a game because it's repetitive? Sure. Selling a game because you want Elves but there are none? It's kindergarten behaviour

I'm not going to sell it, it's my third favorite game. But other people...

I agree in every single comment. Also I have to admit - I haven't played Battlelore a lot since I haven't that much time. So I am indeed happy that they aren't publishing every year something. I would also be happy about a two or three years cycle so that I can enjoy everything new completely in several ways. ;)

I'm not going to sell it, it's my third favorite game. But other people...

Aye, never said it was you :)

I agree. There are not much 2 player games that are so easy to play, playable in quite short time an having that kind of tabletop smell... I will not sell it for sure.

But also, the game feels a Little bit unfinished with the 3 fractions...

Edited by phalgast

Well chess just has two fractions like shogi or go/weiqi. ;)

Have owned the core set for a while, but only played twice. Like the idea of a standalone wargame, that's a bit lighter and has less waves of expansions compared to X-Wing/IA/Armada. Also it's not a lifestyle game and listbuilding is baked into the game itself.

Just managed to pick up a very good deal on all of the other expansions - just need the dragon and the giant and I've got x1 of everything. Which will do me nicely.

I agree. There are not much 2 player games that are so easy to play, playable in quite short time an having that kind of tabletop smell... I will not sell it for sure.

But also, the game feels a Little bit unfinished with the 3 factions...

I agree with this. Sure, it's totally enjoyable in its current state and has lots of options, but when I play Terrinoth war games, I expect to see the standard four factions. I've got four factions in Runewars. I've got 4 factions in the base set of Rune Age. To then look at BattleLore and see only 3 of those four ... it just leaves me feeling like things are unfinished. If BattleLore were the only game set in this fantasy setting, I could be satisfied with where it's at because there wouldn't be an expectation of receiving elves. But because we know the Latari Elves are a major faction in the world, I feel like we really need them in the game. Also, according to Runewars we have 2 good factions and 2 evil factions. Right now we have an over-representation of evil factions in the game. I'd like to get a second good faction because my wife doesn't like to play as the bad guys and I think she may be getting bored of the Daqan. She is much more of an elf fan and I think she would enjoy the Latari a lot.

Well chess just has two fractions like shogi or go/weiqi. ;)

Yeah, and chess is nowhere near the level of today's games.

This game is awesome, but I will say I wish they released an Elf faction, an Orc faction, and at least a Dwarf ally pack.

It's not a matter of playability, but players often get stuck on a particular faction etiher for the aesthetics, the fluff, or the gameplay. The Daqan don't really do it for me, they're OK, but I like to play the "good guys" or at least not blatantly evil guys, and having another option would be beyond great.

I'm hoping they release stuff for Battlelore alongside stuff for the new miniature game.

This is something I really will never understand. The game is perfectly playable with two factions only, thus with the content of the core set. It's not like there is something missing making the game unplayable. And we don't have 2 factions only, we have 3, and each of them comes with several unit types, so, replayability is huge. Selling a game because there's no 4th faction seems rather senseless. Selling a game because it's no fun? Sure. Selling a game because it's repetitive? Sure. Selling a game because you want Elves but there are none? It's kindergarten behavior

I agree with this, actually I couldn't agree with you more. The game is great as it currently is, and to sell the game because of the absence of a fourth faction, if you are already enjoying the three factions they released, is extremely ridiculous, and makes no sense.

On a side note, who actually says the Undead are bad guys? Or for that matter the Uthuk Yllan? Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Daquan Lords killing the Undead and Uthuk Yllan, to the point of hoping to exterminate all of them once and for all? Are the Undead and Uthuk Yllan not doing the same thing that the Daquan Lords are doing, albeit in there own way?

I always laugh when I see this conversation of good guys vs bad guys... if your on one side, don't you always believe your a good guy? Do you think the Uruk hai in Lord of the Rings knew they were evil? Or did they think they were fighting human monsters according to the orders of their boss and to survive? Just like Human and Elven knights fought Uruk hai according to their orders and desire for survival and to be the dominate races.

On a side note, who actually says the Undead are bad guys? Or for that matter the Uthuk Yllan? Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Daquan Lords killing the Undead and Uthuk Yllan, to the point of hoping to exterminate all of them once and for all? Are the Undead and Uthuk Yllan not doing the same thing that the Daquan Lords are doing, albeit in there own way?

I always laugh when I see this conversation of good guys vs bad guys... if your on one side, don't you always believe your a good guy? Do you think the Uruk hai in Lord of the Rings knew they were evil? Or did they think they were fighting human monsters according to the orders of their boss and to survive? Just like Human and Elven knights fought Uruk hai according to their orders and desire for survival and to be the dominate races.

The Undead are bad because the Runewars boardgame had 2 good factions and two evil factions. The Undead and Uthuk were evil while the Latari Elves and Daqan Lords were good. It's not opinion; it's symbolized right on the faction sheets. There isn't any ambiguity as the world is currently constructed. In other fantasy realms, sure, the elves can be evil. In fact, there are evil elves in Descent (same world). But I don't think those evil elves are allied with the Latari. So the named factions are split cleanly into good and evil.

Dunwarr Dwarves and Orcs of the Broken Plains appear to be neutral, but they sided with elves and humans during the 2nd Darkness.