Runewars Miniatures Game end of Battlelore?

By magicrealm, in BattleLore

Here is my opinion. It is hard without any respect for failures as always.

First of all : look around in gaming industry. it all belong to big banks. You can be sure of that. See the quality. Individual Game Design was yesterday.

Video and Boardgames both lacking the quality of individuality. They are just like bread from industry compared to that from the baker. (if you find one)

Runewars miniature game is indeed a war : a war with game workshop. FFG will loose. Because GW has a dozen of races and armies, FFG two. Again.

They never learn. Runewars Board game ended without dwarves and orcs, Battlelore ended without elves, RWMG will end even without Demons.

This product will end like all newer ffg fantasy games wiith some smaller unit addons and thats it.

FFG is not able to produce a sucessful Gameseries anymore !

Because they do not invest the necessary Quantity and keep a poor Quality ! Nobody has fun with that and regrets every cent he wasted with it.

I am not a Troll, but the new FFG Products look very Trollish ! Why should anybody spend 99 bucks for a system that cant match the existing GW product

Why shall you spend money on a new system that will stop being developed before it reaches the line of interest like Rune Wars, Battle Lore , Runebound,.

You have to draw the consequences and dont spend money on games you dont play !

Edited by magicrealm

WTF???

Game design in the industry has never been better, we are living in a golden age of board games.

Nobody has said that Battlelore is ended, or runewars for that matter.

How can you say FFG cannot produce a successful game series, have you not heard of descent, imperial assault, x-wing, LCG's etc.

We don't know what will be available day 1 for this game or how soon other races will appear, we do know models were shown at gencon that are not part of the core set.

FFG can handle the quantity having boosted their app and plastic development, just look at how mean plastic heavy games have been announced.

I see your critic. But honestly I don't see it as war against GW since the battle mode is similar to this new mice&mystic game.

Besides that - I play ffg games since Descent 1.0. And believe me - the quality of miniatures is higher than ever before.

Your point with not finishing lines is sth I support you. BL without a fourth army is indeed a bit unsatisfactory.

Also a starting price of 100 bucks is a bit to much to enter the market or to open it for younger ones which should be considered on a long-term view.

Mullet, don't feed the trolls...

Well, if this is a war, then GW has already lost. They axed Warhammer Fantasy Battles and replaced it with Age of Sigmar, which is a silly excuse for a game.

Everybody in my gaming club quit WFB. All my friends. These are serious gamers, who will invest in something new as their old WFB-armies gather dust.

I sincerely hope that FFG will not forget Battlelore! It is such an elegant game. I hope there will be new expansions. Battlelore and RWMG do not exclude each other.

Runewars kill it? no

Time? yes.

Well, if this is a war, then GW has already lost. They axed Warhammer Fantasy Battles and replaced it with Age of Sigmar, which is a silly excuse for a game.

Everybody in my gaming club quit WFB. All my friends. These are serious gamers, who will invest in something new as their old WFB-armies gather dust.

I sincerely hope that FFG will not forget Battlelore! It is such an elegant game. I hope there will be new expansions. Battlelore and RWMG do not exclude each other.

My friends are now playing Kings of War and Warmachine/Hordes.

How can anyone say that Rune Wars Miniature Game does not spell doom for BattleLore? They are essentially the same game with different mechanics on movement and actions... Why would FFG invest in both of these titles when one has the potential to pull from the other?

Xwing is Star Wars - Rune Wars Mini Game is Terrinoth they don't compete and have similar feels.

BattleLore is Terrinoth war gaming lite - Rune Wars Mini Game is Terrinoth War Gaming - they compete...

BattleLore is over guys, I understand the denial because I am a BattleLore fan as well, but it's time to accept the writing on the wall.

How can anyone say that Rune Wars Miniature Game does not spell doom for BattleLore? They are essentially the same game with different mechanics on movement and actions... Why would FFG invest in both of these titles when one has the potential to pull from the other?

Because not everyone is willing to invest 500 EUR in one single game? There's an interview with Anton Torres at GenCon where he said that 2 core sets grant quite a few options to RuneWars. This means 200 EUR / $ without considering expansions, additional units coming in blisters, new armies and so on. For a little higher than that price (230 or so) you can get everything they relased for BattleLore (excluding the three neutral units)

The target public couldn't be more different, BT is a different game, plays fast, it's relatively cheap (at least, cheaper than that), and so on.

And for me, at least, it's not that I think BattleLore will continue for years to come, but I definitely think they can and will make Elves happen before they cut support to BattleLore.

Because not everyone is willing to invest 500 EUR in one single game? There's an interview with Anton Torres at GenCon where he said that 2 core sets grant quite a few options to RuneWars. This means 200 EUR / $ without considering expansions, additional units coming in blisters, new armies and so on. For a little higher than that price (230 or so) you can get everything they relased for BattleLore (excluding the three neutral units)

The target public couldn't be more different, BT is a different game, plays fast, it's relatively cheap (at least, cheaper than that), and so on.

In addition, basically Runewars is WFB. WFB and Battlelore are very different games for different markets.

i told you my opinion ok mabe i have forgotten the word Fantasy in the sentence ffg cannot make a sucessful game series. but how can you make an unsucessful star wars product ? pack an already chewed chewing gum in a plastic box, write Luke skywalkers favour chewing gum on it and earn incredible amount of money !

the poor quality does not mean the material, though that too, but the game design. if those who shout against that ever played a good game from the 80s they would keep silence. material from descent 2 : play some secenarios and see your map tiles loosing their shape, look at the different scales of the miniatures, thats what ffg produces !

gw put warhammer down, thats true and a big shame, but the selling numbers increase with the sigmar series rapidly.

if you say that runewars miniature game and battlelore are two very different games for different clients i can say : omg. same models from same races in same world,, same warbattle, yes some other numbers on the dice and cards, movement schedules instead of hexes, but you call this a difference ?

i see it is not possible to tell you whats going on because you dont want to see it. i tell you again : runewars miniature game will be no sucess and it will prevent ffg to produce anything more for battlelore. runewars boardgame is dead sionce three years, the new runebound is a desaster of game design and not a golden age of boardgames and will never get one single bigbox addon, while the 2ed had 5 of them, plus 36 card addons.

take the wood in front of your eyes away and see what is happening. otherwise i have nothing more to say here, payed cheerboys.

why is it that bad grammar makes a post seem more troll-like?

I thought it was the lack of a reasoned argument.

I found the question on Elves during the FFG In-Flight Report. I've cued it up here .

After listening to this, I got the impression that Elves are coming. He didn't flat out say, "We don't comment on unreleased products," he started by saying that they are obviously very excited about fantasy at the moment and they love elves. I think BattleLore is safe for now.

I mostly got the impression they might consider producing the units. "Coming" seems pretty strong, something related to a nearby future. But yeah, Chris didn't say anything about the line being shut down or the possibility of Elves being too far away in time. Possibly they will release RuneWars and then announce the Elves, or something like that

I thought it was the lack of a reasoned argument.

That too. :P

I found the question on Elves during the FFG In-Flight Report. I've cued it up here .

After listening to this, I got the impression that Elves are coming. He didn't flat out say, "We don't comment on unreleased products," he started by saying that they are obviously very excited about fantasy at the moment and they love elves. I think BattleLore is safe for now.

Hey, that seems like good news! Either that or he had no idea what Battlelore was and was just trying to get out of the question. :P

Hey, that seems like good news! Either that or he had no idea what Battlelore was and was just trying to get out of the question. :P

:P

But he's mentioned BattleLore before in the In-Flight Reports (especially when BattleLore: Command came out) and he seemed excited about it.

As long as Battlelore is able to support itself financially they would be nuts to cut it off for RWMG. Is there the possibility of some overlap, sure. But, not to where they are cannibalizing each other, if anything having both only strengthens the brand of the universe.

Miniature war games are by definition not for everyone. The amount of time and effort in building and painting armies only to then find opponents and spend more time setting up a complex battlefield. Where Battlelore is a board game through and through. You can have a friend over for an afternoon who have never played, pull things out of the box and have them set and teach a game in a reasonable amount of time, and then pack it all neatly up put it back on a shelf(not have it dominate an entire room whether you are playing or not).

Many people that are drawn to the simplicity and elegance of Battlelore are not going to be willing to invest the time and money in a whole new hobby(which miniature wargaming is) and folks who are spending hundreds of dollars and massive amounts of time building an army for RWMG aren't going to give that up but there is a boardgame in the same universe.

As long as Battlelore is able to support itself financially they would be nuts to cut it off for RWMG. Is there the possibility of some overlap, sure. But, not to where they are cannibalizing each other, if anything having both only strengthens the brand of the universe.

Miniature war games are by definition not for everyone. The amount of time and effort in building and painting armies only to then find opponents and spend more time setting up a complex battlefield. Where Battlelore is a board game through and through. You can have a friend over for an afternoon who have never played, pull things out of the box and have them set and teach a game in a reasonable amount of time, and then pack it all neatly up put it back on a shelf(not have it dominate an entire room whether you are playing or not).

Many people that are drawn to the simplicity and elegance of Battlelore are not going to be willing to invest the time and money in a whole new hobby(which miniature wargaming is) and folks who are spending hundreds of dollars and massive amounts of time building an army for RWMG aren't going to give that up but there is a boardgame in the same universe.

Plus, RWMG is highly expensive and I stink at painting. And I imagine I am not alone.

No, you are not alone.

I just started painting my stormtroopers for imperial assault, turns out I can't even paint a figure white without doing a naff job.

Just make it table-top ready. It doesn't need to win any awards.

I started Runewars years ago and haven't finished, but I got all my Imperial Assault core figures done in about a month and they look way better than I thought they would. Definitely better than leaving them unpainted.

One of these days I'll finish Runewars and start BattleLore. Then maybe I'll pick up some Uthuk for RuneWars and try painting them up. Can't wait!

Xwing is Star Wars - Rune Wars Mini Game is Terrinoth they don't compete and have similar feels.

BattleLore is Terrinoth war gaming lite - Rune Wars Mini Game is Terrinoth War Gaming - they compete...

BattleLore is over guys, I understand the denial because I am a BattleLore fan as well, but it's time to accept the writing on the wall.

I'd like to point out that a better comparison would be that the relationship between BattleLore and Rune Wars Mini Game is more like the relationship between X-Wing and Armada. If X-Wing and Armada can coexist, I don't see a reason why BattleLore and Rune Wars Mini Game can't also coexist.

I'd like to point out that a better comparison would be that the relationship between BattleLore and Rune Wars Mini Game is more like the relationship between X-Wing and Armada. If X-Wing and Armada can coexist, I don't see a reason why BattleLore and Rune Wars Mini Game can't also coexist.

I don't understand why people are hung up on the X-Wing/Armada comparison in the context of Battlelore/RWM. X-Wing and Armada can coexist because, while they are both miniature games played on a mat with rulers, they are two fundamentally different games thematically and aesthetically and gameplay wise. One is strategic capital ship fleet combat, the other is a hidden movement dogfighting game. The design space is completely different, the only similarity being that they're both set in space and have lasers.

Also, X-Wing/Armada have what I'd call the most powerful branding in the history of ever and I don't think that would be much of an exaggeration. That certainly helps with keeping both going despite any similarities.

Meanwhile, Battlelore and RWM have the same basic concept (massed fantasy battles), simulate the same exact thing (medieval battlefield conditions) and have the exact same setting. There's a lot more overlap than the X-Wing/Armada consideration, and then on top of that you cannot excuse that overlap with the sheer marketing power of the IP.

A much better comparison would be another pair of conceptually similar games: Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror. How much new design and new content has Arkham Horror had since Eldritch Horror was released? What percentage of the new Eldritch Horror assets and content was ported to Arkham Horror?

Edited by Don_Silvarro