Throwing away WQACG with GW ?? No, give us more instead

By Gendalm, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Thing for me is that I currently dislike GW with a passion despite years and years of monetary investment (3 editions Space Hulk, 2 large Warmaster Armies, 2 huge 40K armies, 4 huuuuge WFB armies, 3 Epic armies, 3 bloodbowl teams, Dreadfleet, heroquest, advanced heroquest, multiple rulesets) it goes into thousands and thousands of pounds. As a curiosity I checked this morning and a full set of all Descent content is about £800.

So for me after investing all that money and loving the background and flavour, it was lovelly to get something in this world manufactured by a better company than GW. I loved the idea. It was the setting more than the mechanics for me. If it re released in Terrinoth Im not sure I would buy-in.

I wanted my WHQ :(

I am not buying Silver Tower, nope sirreee

Warmaster! I had a couple armies for that, terrific rules system - the clever guys who designed the game left GW and wrote Bolt Action.

As for Silver Tower, in Australia retail it is priced at an insane $265 (!!!) - compare that to Star Wars Rebellion which is $170.

So its true then that AUS has terrible game prices then? Because Rebellion is only 80-100 USD over here, compared to your 130 USD (converted from AUSD)

Thing for me is that I currently dislike GW with a passion despite years and years of monetary investment (3 editions Space Hulk, 2 large Warmaster Armies, 2 huge 40K armies, 4 huuuuge WFB armies, 3 Epic armies, 3 bloodbowl teams, Dreadfleet, heroquest, advanced heroquest, multiple rulesets) it goes into thousands and thousands of pounds. As a curiosity I checked this morning and a full set of all Descent content is about £800.

So for me after investing all that money and loving the background and flavour, it was lovelly to get something in this world manufactured by a better company than GW. I loved the idea. It was the setting more than the mechanics for me. If it re released in Terrinoth Im not sure I would buy-in.

I wanted my WHQ :(

I am not buying Silver Tower, nope sirreee

Warmaster! I had a couple armies for that, terrific rules system - the clever guys who designed the game left GW and wrote Bolt Action.

As for Silver Tower, in Australia retail it is priced at an insane $265 (!!!) - compare that to Star Wars Rebellion which is $170.

My Warmaster armies are High Elf and Lizardmen. I wanted to go for armies that I didnt have in standard 25/30mm scale.... then a year after I put together a big Lizardman 25/30mm army as well lol

I'm disappointed that it appears WQ:ACG is dead--it filled a great niche for me. I think we could see a Descent Quest Adventure Card Game in the future, though :) I would love that, and we'd *never* have to worry about expansions if the game was even moderately successful. Even though I like the WH fantasy setting, it's not gonna make or break the game for me...I'd be all in for a Descent themed re-tooling.

I don't know if I would be able to stomach the Terrinoth setting, should FFG remake the game with it. It's as average and bland as you can get.

Can't argue against it being average and bland too much, but it's not the worst. I'd say it's just a little paper thin, which it kind of has to be to have all the characters playable and all the villains reusable.

But to be honest I'm a little sick of the same theme and characters and creatures and world being slapped onto all these new games. A bit of variety would be nice sometimes which is why I liked WQ:ACG. A game with great mechanics but in a different setting.

Nothing really against the Terrinoth setting, I just think I've seen too much of it and it just doesn't really excite me that much anymore.

But to be honest I'm a little sick of the same theme and characters and creatures and world being slapped onto all these new games. A bit of variety would be nice sometimes which is why I liked WQ:ACG. A game with great mechanics but in a different setting.

Nothing really against the Terrinoth setting, I just think I've seen too much of it and it just doesn't really excite me that much anymore.

That's another good point. ;) We are playing Descent and Runewars and I like the possibility of using Runewars miniatures in Descent, but it is nice to play in different (also deeper) settings like Warhammer universe.

I won't probably buy Runebound (we are fine with Mage Knight although somebody could argue that these games are quite different) but, as fans of R.A.Salvatore's novels, we have bought Legend of Drizzt Board Game also because of the theme behind (and the delusion after WQACG I would say... :( ).

Another reason why we would probably continue with Mage Knight and never buy Runebound.

I am going the opposite way and am expanding Runebound with a likely sale of Mage Knight. Over time i have found i cant bring Make Knight onto the table due to its game length and brain sapping complexity over how the monsters block and attack (especially fire and ice). When i do have time to play i prefer the storyline rather than puzzle option. I also quite like the cross over that Runebound gives me into Descent and the similar artwork style and want to expand this instead. Its good have the choice though. If they bought out a Warhamer Quest ACG set in Terrinoth i would probably get it.

Over time i have found i cant bring Make Knight onto the table due to its game length and brain sapping complexity over how the monsters block and attack (especially fire and ice).

That's really interesting but I suppose the perception of the game really depends on the number of players and their experience.

As two-players game is great and goes smoothly for us. A blitz conquest requires about 90-120 minutes to be played, while the short adventure from Shades of Tezla requires even less time.

For more players I would rather play other types of games (like WQACG). ;)

Edited by Gendalm

i think you need to play Mage Knight a lot to get the rules embedded. i have large gaps between games so when i do get the box out and think about going through the rules again i often then decide to do another game instead. Probably more perception than reality but usually i play a game after working, chores, sorting out kids etc and then i am bit drained mentally to try and make sure i don't miss one of the rules out. I still have trouble getting my head around some of the block and damage stuff when fire, ice, magic damage are involved. When i do play it i like it, but i still feel its fairly complex especially as you build up a number of allies and skills. At the moment Runebound is filling the adventuring gap better for me. I probably should hold onto Mage Knight for when i retire and have more time or energy to devote to it.