Throwing away WQACG with GW ?? No, give us more instead

By Gendalm, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Following GENCON2016, I would like to collect our thoughts about how good and enthusiast we would be to get another expansion for WQACG. Maybe FFG will listen to our prayers (or suggestions) and provide us something before Christmas.

First, in case you are not aware of it, I would like to highlight that no WQACG news came out from GENCON 2016. Furthermore it seems no news came out for any GW related games and the upcoming Runewars painting miniature games appears as an open battle sign between FFG and GW.

This is why there is a big concern also on bgg about the fact that the game will not receive any additional attention from FFG. I would like FFG to put a little more effort instead and bring us at least one monster and campaign expansion since:

- the game really needs it. In the delve quest no tier 2 monster are left after the setting and the replayability is not high having to face always the same monsters and nemesis.
- I will buy for sure, no matter the price
- as loyal customer (FFG is my favourite games company now) I would feel betrayed to see that a game clearly made for expansions didn't get any (I don't consider POD characters as a serious expansion). Rune Age got at least one.

- There are already so many translations of the game upcoming. From a foreign player pespective I would not buy at all the game thinking that even the English version won't get an expansion. [added 07/08/16]

I would like you to share also your feelings and thoughts, hoping FFG will find enough reasoning to continue support the game. Even just a bit would be enough (but the more, the better). ;)

Edited by Gendalm

Id love and buy an exp but it may not be FFGs decision if they are in talks with/againt GW.

If GW parts company with FFG they might only have a short time to clear stock, so producing an exp now to sell for a short time would not make financial sense.

If they release it ill buy it. Preferably a big box containing monsters, quests etc, as much as possible to make it well rounded

WQACG is a great game and I was really looking forward to a campaign expansion. FFG doesn't offer the game or any character expansions on their website anymore, and I take this as a clear sign that the game is dead, at least in its current setting.

Of course, I'll never know the details of the business arrangements between FFG and GW, and maybe GW wanted the IP back anyway. But as far as I'm concerned, as someone who doesn't care one bit about minis games and the minis hobbys, I'm really disheartened seeing FFG going toes to toes against GW on their own turf, and dropping ongoing support for great games such as WQACG and FS in the process.

I don't expect new Warhammer related content from FFG at this point. But I hope FFG will recognize WQACG is a great system and is worth transposing in the Terrinoth setting (or any other setting FFG owns), as long as contractual arrangements with GW allow it of course.

Dont forget, FFG may have gotten into miniature wargaming *because* GW took away the licence, not as a cause.

We just dont know. It may well be 100% out of FFG control and thus not *choosing* to ignore supporting those games.

The way I see it, GW started working on a line of new boardgames some months ago and pulled the rug under FFG's feet, preventing them from developing their released games any further, and as such leaving them in a delicate position (no expansions for FS and WQACG, W40k Conquest dead in the water).

At that point, FFG/Asmodée thought "eff it". They have the financial and logistic might and a strong enough setting (Terrinoth) to take GW head on, so maybe it's the time to make an enemy and go after a share of that fat minis market, before Cool Mini Or Not takes all ;)

Very possibly yes, we will probably never know.

Right. Not that it changes anything about WQ anyway.

Right. Not that it changes anything about WQ anyway.

True. But in the end they can reskin this game on Terrinoth. It'd be an instabuy for me, especially because, not being licence-dependant, we know they could develop it properly (Forbidden Stars at zero expansions anyone?)

RuneWars looks like a declaration of war for me, and I honestly welcome that, the market needs variety, not control.

*opening popcorn and prepping to witness what's next*

FFG doesn't offer the game or any character expansions on their website anymore, and I take this as a clear sign that the game is dead, at least in its current setting.

It is listed here:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/#/universe/warhammer

And I just ordered both expansion packs myself from them directly.

Hmmm... I agree that the news is not looking good... and I think that FF is moving away from the GW games. Oh well... FS was excellent... but it can stand on its own without expansions. WQACG can not...

As to FF entering the miniature market... go for it. They already wield significant weight... but I wonder if they can truly battle GW's base.

Aren't the fancy-looking Showcase Page sections of the website pretty new? Not all games get a Showcase Page but

WQACG has one. Or has it been there all along and I just recently stumbled onto the Showcase Pages?

It is listed here:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/#/universe/warhammer

And I just ordered both expansion packs myself from them directly.

Cool. They were marked as unavailable yesterday (on my phone at least).

@Julia: Exactly. I don't care much for the Warhammer setting myself. What I'm interested in is the great cooperative, non-collectible dungeon delving card game.

@Julia: Exactly. I don't care much for the Warhammer setting myself. What I'm interested in is the great cooperative, non-collectible dungeon delving card game.

100% agreed. Something offering variety, being difficult to win and possibly being expanded at a reasonable pace.

I'm sure something will come: if we consider the marketing strategies, WHQ was created to offer an alternative to Pathfinder ACG; if this line stops, then they have nothing to counter Pathfinder. So logic implies they will try another way. If we look at the marketing strategies of FFG in the last few months, it's pretty evident they are trying to impose in ways never tried before:

- the Road to Legend app brings dungeon crawling to coop level, entering a territory where other companies already were (Shadows of Brimstone, for example) but FFG was absent

- the SW: Destiny game allows FFG to enter the collectible sector, an area they didn't consider in the last decade or so

- the RuneWars miniature game allows FFG to enter the fantasy miniature sector, an area where we had mostly only GW so far

so, it seems evident after the merge with Asmodee that they all want to have the company growing in new territories to become an even bigger reality of the sector. At their advantage, they have a CV of many years of top notch games, they have the coolest graphic artists of the whole hobby (probably), they usually deliver games with high quality components, and as part of Asmodee they now have a very solid "background" (distribution, and so on) so that they have the numbers to do well in each and every of these fields. It's inevitable they will give ACG a la WHQ another shot in quite a short term, in case this line is destined to be closed

I must admit, with this one I really did buy it for the IP.

I own Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest but missed out on the third incarnation, Warhammer Quest and with its reputation wanted something that had an aspect of it.

And since then silver tower appears. With GW policy, if they expand silver tower it may run into biiiig money, if that happened Id rather bite the bullet and buy all of decent, i think id get better value and a more trustworthy company.

I must admit, with this one I really did buy it for the IP.

I own Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest but missed out on the third incarnation, Warhammer Quest and with its reputation wanted something that had an aspect of it.

Similar situation here. I enjoyed a lot Heroquest and Warhammer Quest in the past and, as former Warhammer Fantasy player, I really like the idea of living again similar feelings with my friends, playing characters (Hello Gotrek Gurnisson !!) and killing monsters (bye bye jezzail, I am so happy that you are killing yourself and you are not in my army !! :D ) we loved.

I am not so much interested in having a Terrinoth clone since my group will always choose Road to Legend instead. For me Runebound universe is nice but it doesn't have enough background behind to be "just" a card game. As Descent (or even Runewars) is great because these games give enough deepness to build your own story but, as WQACG clone it won't give me the same feeling.

Edited by Gendalm

The new arkham horror LCG seems to be FFG's answer to pathfinder ACG.

FFG are certainly aiming high since their ANA merger and with their boost in plastic and app production they may hit their targets.

I am not so much interested in having a Terrinoth clone since my group will always choose Road to Legend instead. For me Runebound universe is nice but it doesn't have enough background behind to be "just" a card game. As Descent (or even Runewars) is great because these games give enough deepness to build your own story but, as WQACG clone it won't give me the same feeling.

I think there's room for both Descent/Road to Legend and a new game in the same format as WQ:ACG. It really hit a sweet spot for me and my wife in affordability, accessibility and duration. As you said, it's just a card game and that's exactly why I like it. Pulling out Road to Legend with all the figures, terrain tiles and complexity is a completely different experience, and not one I can play on the go (my wife and I have been playing WQ all week while on vacation).

As for the new Arkham Horror LCG, well, it's an LCG. It's a much bigger money and time investment, and I don't care much about deckbuilding. We tried the Lord of the Rings LCG and it didn't work out for us. I prefer my game experience to be entirely contained in the game itself, without having to spend hours building and trying out decks, looking up new cards online, etc.

I didn't play much Warhammer as a kid (played a bit of Heroquest and Space Crusade and that's it), so I'm not too invested in GW universe. On the other hand, I played a lot of Runebound, Descent 1st and 2nd edition, Runewars and Rune Age, and even though the setting is certainly less developed and weaker than Warhammer, there are quite a few interesting characters that could easily substitute WQ characters.

Seboss scores pretty good points here.

- Descent is huge, both in terms of money (core set costs twice as much as WHQ and expansions, having all minis, cost a fortune if compared to card expansions only) and commitment (you need time, space, and so on, on a bigger scale than a card game)

- AH LCG comes with deck building, and I'm sure is quite a challenging game both in terms of rules complexity and difficulty of the scenarios. More or less than same as LotR. And many people said they loved WHQ because there was no deck building and because it was less challenging than LotR

So, on both points, having a game like WHQ is a sort of middle ground, for non-casual players who want to keep it not too complex and not too demanding. Clearly some people would still prefer other solutions, but I think there's space for a game like this, and more variety in the market is always a good thing

As for the weaker IP of Terrinoth: true. But if you check the InFlight report of this year, Chris said loud and clear they want to make their IPs stronger (publishing books and so on) like the did for Android.

If they are able to do proper ads for their universes, this could be the beginning of something big. And the fact that they chose Terrinoth for RuneWars, well, it's an interesting omen of things to come

It really hit a sweet spot for me and my wife in affordability, accessibility and duration.

... (my wife and I have been playing WQ all week while on vacation).

We also appreciate all the above mentioned features in the game and I can understand why for some gamers, like you, a similar game in Runebound universe would be an optimal solution.

But any group has its own needs (and wishes) and, as already stated, for this game the warhammer background has its own appeal to me. We have already Descent and time is not a big issue for us since Road to Legend really deserve such effort !! :D

Thing for me is that I currently dislike GW with a passion despite years and years of monetary investment (3 editions Space Hulk, 2 large Warmaster Armies, 2 huge 40K armies, 4 huuuuge WFB armies, 3 Epic armies, 3 bloodbowl teams, Dreadfleet, heroquest, advanced heroquest, multiple rulesets) it goes into thousands and thousands of pounds. As a curiosity I checked this morning and a full set of all Descent content is about £800.

So for me after investing all that money and loving the background and flavour, it was lovelly to get something in this world manufactured by a better company than GW. I loved the idea. It was the setting more than the mechanics for me. If it re released in Terrinoth Im not sure I would buy-in.

I wanted my WHQ :(

I am not buying Silver Tower, nope sirreee

Alex, I'd love to see a few pictures of your huuuuuuge WFB armies, if you don't mind sharing those with the community :)

Alex, I'd love to see a few pictures of your huuuuuuge WFB armies, if you don't mind sharing those with the community :)

I would love to be its not really possible just now as they are packed in boxes behind a lot of other stuff in the spare room. I am planning to board out the loft for storage and get all the stuff up there, then I will get to them :) 98% unpainted though, Im a slow painter. I could post odd recent paints but not the big armies :)

Thing for me is that I currently dislike GW with a passion despite years and years of monetary investment.

So for me after investing all that money and loving the background and flavour, it was lovelly to get something in this world manufactured by a better company than GW. I loved the idea. It was the setting more than the mechanics for me. If it re released in Terrinoth Im not sure I would buy-in.

Again we are on the same line although I still have only Warhammer Fantasy and Lord of the Rings miniatures. :D

WQACG ?? Yes for sure. Recycling my Bretonnian knights and Skaven into Kings of War ?? Yes, probably.

But I will never again lose myself into GW.

If FFG would find even a small space for WQACG and my memories (well now it is so small I can barely breathe !! ), I probably would be more motivated to continue investing money in their games. ;)

Thing for me is that I currently dislike GW with a passion despite years and years of monetary investment (3 editions Space Hulk, 2 large Warmaster Armies, 2 huge 40K armies, 4 huuuuge WFB armies, 3 Epic armies, 3 bloodbowl teams, Dreadfleet, heroquest, advanced heroquest, multiple rulesets) it goes into thousands and thousands of pounds. As a curiosity I checked this morning and a full set of all Descent content is about £800.

Warmaster! I had a couple armies for that, terrific rules system - the clever guys who designed the game left GW and wrote Bolt Action.

As for Silver Tower, in Australia retail it is priced at an insane $265 (!!!) - compare that to Star Wars Rebellion which is $170.