woah woah woah

By Supertoe, in Runewars Miniatures Game

21 hours ago, Hidatom said:

Warlords of Erewhon will be out in late January.

$45 rulebook with rules based on Bolt Action. Model neutral...bot RW and AoS can be in the same army.

My Waiqar, nighthaunts, and Flesh-Eater courts have found a home.

Can I ask what the draw of the Bolt Action-based rules is? I have no experience with it and have difficulty with the idea that I would ever like anything as much as I like the Runewars dial system...

Bolt action has this awesome dice-based initiative system. You blindly pick a die from a bag, it could be an opponent's die or yours, and then roll it to see which action can be made. You then choose the unit.

13 minutes ago, King Cheesecake said:

Bolt action has this awesome dice-based initiative system. You blindly pick a die from a bag, it could be an opponent's die or yours, and then roll it to see which action can be made. You then choose the unit.

In other words, it plays backwards from the way Runewars does.

Glad you enjoy it, hope you understand if I don't join you.

5 hours ago, King Cheesecake said:

This sounds terribly random...

6 hours ago, QuickWhit said:

This sounds terrible

ftfy :D

On 12/17/2018 at 2:00 PM, King Cheesecake said:

You do not roll to pick the action. You pull dice from the bag as an initiative system, then use the die as a reminder token.

Edited by Hidatom
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, Hidatom said:

You do not roll to pick the action. You pull dice from the bag as an initiative system, then use the die as a reminder token.

Remind me not to play this.

I had been looking into getting into bolt action or flames of war, now I am content to not waste time and money, sounds like a worse legion activation system.

On 12/19/2018 at 2:29 PM, Curlycross said:

Remind me not to play this.

Same. I would Gibbs-smack someone that suggested this for 40K...

On 12/19/2018 at 4:35 PM, Jukey said:

I had been looking into getting into bolt action or flames of war, now I am content to not waste  time and money, sounds like a worse legion activation system.

It's less restrictive while adding a Fog of War element. Bolt Action is bigger than RW so I guess it works :)

I recommend you play a demo of BA or Antares to check out the order dice system.

no idea what Flames of War has to do with the conversation.

1 hour ago, Hidatom said:

It's less restrictive while adding a Fog of War element. Bolt Action is bigger than RW so I guess it works :)

I recommend you play a demo of BA or Antares to check out the order dice system.

no idea what Flames of War has to do with the conversation.

Didn't want to judge it too harshly without really understanding it more, so I watched a few gameplay videos on Bolt Action today...

I hated the initiative system about as much as I thought I would. One of my favorite elements of Runewars is the ability to predict initiative. Not only can I reasonably predict the initiative at which my opponent's units will activate at, I can reasonably plan three rounds ahead. There is no random draw that could cause me to lose an initiative race. Runewars is the Texas Hold 'em of Miniature games. It gives me more information to use in my decision making than anything else I've seen to this point.

Also not a fan of any games that has me rolling hand fulls of d6s and counting out the results. Big fan of the Runewars dice system. I think the most dice I've ever had to roll in one interaction is 5, and that is rare.

As for the size of the game... I don't think popularity is a reasonable indicator of how good a system is in miniature gaming. There are a lot of people that play miniature games for beautiful miniatures and scenic diorama-like battlefields. Some people want fantasy. Some people want sci fi. Some people just like historic war stuff. Some people just like Star Wars stuff. My honest opinion is that if gameplay was the most important factor in these games then Warhammer would just not be popular (biased opinion... I think that ruleset is just... bad).

For me there is no rule set that does wargaming better than Runewars. I do wish it was more popular. However, I didn't have a hard time convincing several of my friends to start playing it once I introduced them to it. We will likely be playing it for the next several years, even if they don't release another thing.

Should have clarified, been looking at ww2 era games, so bolt action and flames of war were on the table. Bolt action sounds like a bummer, dunno about flames of war, but the more I look at other games activation systems, the more I feel like runewars has one of the best.

Hopefully when it's been on the market for as long as some of the other rank and files, it will have an equally large following.

Bolt action order dice have 6 unit actions printed on them (1 on each side). They're things like run (double move); fire (no move but better shooting); advance (move and shoot); etc.

For each unit in play a colored ordered dice is placed in a bag/cup and drawn blindly, one at a time. Whoever's die is pulled activates a unit and uses the pulled die as a marker next to the unit to remind everyone which order was executed. The next die is then pulled blindly, another unit is activated and the process repeats until no dice are left to draw. That ends the turn.

Whenever a unit is shot and hit they receive a 'pin' marker. Pin markers make you have to roll a regular d6 dice test to see if your unit will complete a proposed order. Each pin marker serves as a negative modifier to getting your unit to comply (more markers means they're taking effective fire).

FoW uses a standard your turn/my turn sequence. You move all your stuff. You shoot with all your stuff. You close combat with stuff that can close combat. On my turn, I do the same.

21 hours ago, Jukey said:

Should have clarified, been looking at ww2 era games, so bolt action and flames of war were on the table. Bolt action sounds like a bummer, dunno about flames of war, but the more I look at other games activation systems, the more I feel like runewars has one of the best.

Hopefully when it's been on the market for as long as some of the other rank and files, it will have an equally large following.

For WWII, I highly recommend Crossfire, by Arty Conliffe. It's a company-level game with 1 stand representing 1 squad; whoever has initiative acts with one unit at a time until they are suppressed by reaction fire, then initiative switches. It really encourages using terrain effectively and maintaining a reserve.

Agreed. Search for lindybeige crossfire on youtube for a good overview of Crossfire. It's about 180 degrees reversed from a game as structured as RuneWars and that's actually its selling point---not that RuneWars and more structured games are bad by any means.

On the topic of RuneWars, there's discussion on BGG that the game is on the way out since it was part of this year's Christmas sale by FFG. What's the buzz?

Edited by privateer4hire

As was already noted on BGG, the FFG sale was only early stuff that was overproduced. Nothing new and nothing that was popular early.

The Miniatures Mart sale is a another question entirely.

For activation mechanics, Battletech doesn’t do so bad andncould easily get reskinned into a WW2 tank and infantry game

Jeepers, if you are that keen to play something where you can predict the initiative and without loads of dice, just play x wing, at least it's popular.

1 hour ago, Hos said:

Jeepers, if you are that keen to play something where you can predict the initiative and without loads of dice, just play x wing, at least it's popular.

Curious as to the need for something to be popular in order to play it... I love runewars. I have people to play it with. I am invested in it. Why should its popularity weigh heavily into the equation?

I like Runewars, the models, the mechanics. There are a total of 3 people incl me, who play it in my city. When the game launched, we demoed it heavily in all 3 local gaming stores, and posted on local gaming groups facebook pages. Got lots of interest, no bites. So yeh, popularity of a game means a lot to me when contemplating taking something new up. Lucky you having a local scene for Runewars :)

12 hours ago, Hos said:

I like Runewars, the models, the mechanics. There are a total of 3 people incl me, who play it in my city. When the game launched, we demoed it heavily in all 3 local gaming stores, and posted on local gaming groups facebook pages. Got lots of interest, no bites. So yeh, popularity of a game means a lot to me when contemplating taking something new up. Lucky you having a local scene for Runewars :)

Sorry you didn't get any bites. That would bum me out.

Have you thought of trying to push it one more time now that the game has 4 factions with parody? When I showed the game at launch I found a couple players that were interested but didn't take a shine to Waiqar or Daqan, or just felt the selection was too limited, so they didn't want to buy in. We've gotten 3 new players in our group in the past 8 months since all the new stuff came out.

Might be worth another try if you really like the game. Personally, as long as I have one person to play with I'll be playing Runewars.

2 minutes ago, QuickWhit said:

Sorry you didn't get any bites. That would bum me out.

Have you thought of trying to push i  t one more time now that the game has 4 factions with parody?

Parody will help. :)

1 hour ago, Vergilius said:

Parody will help. :)

Parity... I meant parity...

3 hours ago, QuickWhit said:

:)

6 hours ago, QuickWhit said:

Nope, a parody game. Based in terrinoth. I’m sold.

🤣 🤣