What does this mean for LCGs?

By DakkaDakka, in Star Wars: Destiny

Anyone that could explain me what an SKU is? You keep mentioning it, but it's pitch balck here folks...

Stock keeping unit. Identification code for each product.

Something tells me that FFG will whine down its Games Workshop products and will probably not renew its license. This is taken from how poorly GW has been doing since it decided to "relaunch" Warhammer Fantasy into the dreaded version it is now and rumors of the same happening with 40k.

Anyone that could explain me what an SKU is? You keep mentioning it, but it's pitch balck here folks...

The UPC or more commonly know, the barcode.

Something tells me that FFG will whine down its Games Workshop products and will probably not renew its license. This is taken from how poorly GW has been doing since it decided to "relaunch" Warhammer Fantasy into the dreaded version it is now and rumors of the same happening with 40k.

Makes me wonder if I would buy an age of sigmar LCG...

Considering they have announced noting new for months for their GW games I'd say it's already started.

You do realize that the recent Age of Sigmar releases have been selling better than anything released for Warhammer Fantasy in that game's final year, right? They sold out of the last tree-people release in pre-order and needed to scramble to make more for store shelves. If anything, FFG would make good to renegotiate for their license to include Age of Sigmar.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

Thanks guys for the explanation. Makes a lot more sense now!

Yeah, I think something wonky is going on with the Warhammer license. It already is kind of weird, because I hear it is only a 1-year license.

You do realize that the recent Age of Sigmar releases have been selling better than anything released for Warhammer Fantasy in that game's final year, right? They sold out of the last tree-people release in pre-order and needed to scramble to make more for store shelves. If anything, FFG would make good to renegotiate for their license to include Age of Sigmar.

You do realize that the last few years of Warhammer Fantasy release were awful? GW was releasing expensive books about a game that ending. Looking at the older (pre-Sigmar) tree people, then yes, people wouldn't have bought them. Why would I or any fan of the Wood Elves (because the faction was called that) want a treeman who wears high heels? Yes, the model has high heels.

While an initial, and short, success, Age of Sigmar hasn't really been the huge money maker it was supposed to be. The starter set seemed to have sold well, but that's the likely case for many starter sets for many miniature games. What about successive releases? Those don't seem to be doing very well.

I can only go by several local game stores and no one plays the game. People played Fantasy and there even a recent Mordheim campaign. At least one shop got rid of everything GW and another is thinking about it. GW is pretty much on the way out so there's no real reason to keep a license like that when you can just print money with Star Wars products.

You do realize that the last few years of Warhammer Fantasy release were awful? GW was releasing expensive books about a game that ending. Looking at the older (pre-Sigmar) tree people, then yes, people wouldn't have bought them. Why would I or any fan of the Wood Elves (because the faction was called that) want a treeman who wears high heels? Yes, the model has high heels.

While an initial, and short, success, Age of Sigmar hasn't really been the huge money maker it was supposed to be. The starter set seemed to have sold well, but that's the likely case for many starter sets for many miniature games. What about successive releases? Those don't seem to be doing very well.

I can only go by several local game stores and no one plays the game. People played Fantasy and there even a recent Mordheim campaign. At least one shop got rid of everything GW and another is thinking about it. GW is pretty much on the way out so there's no real reason to keep a license like that when you can just print money with Star Wars products.

High heels? Ok I'm not gonna poke fun at the wardancers (because after 4th they actually looked badass) Have you seen the new woad aelves or dryads or what are they called now? The Sylvaneth?

There's a boobalicious dryad spirit in tree-power armor with honeycombs that shoot insects!

99120204017_DrycaHamadreth01.jpg

What in the name of Evangelion...?

So GW get's rid of slaanesh because of "le sex" and now we get half naked tree spirits? Dafuq?

You do realize that the last few years of Warhammer Fantasy release were awful?

Yes, and that's exactly the point. Geedub has put on their big boy pants and made the hard decision to axe a struggling product line that was bleeding money and replaced it with a fresh new product that is already doing better.

Okay, I get it, you don't like the game and you want it to be failing miserably as a way to legitimize you not liking it. But this is simply and objectively not true, as evidenced by the previous big new model release (Ironjawz) having some specific character models selling out at the preorder stage and the next one after that (Sylvaneth) having almost everything selling out at the preorder stage, with retailers having trouble to get it in stock.

I can only go by several local game stores and no one plays the game. People played Fantasy and there even a recent Mordheim campaign. At least one shop got rid of everything GW and another is thinking about it.

If that's the situation in your area, than yeah, that's pretty rough. It's not representative of the global market though. Down in my neck of the woods, there's one or two stores that are struggling to move Magic, but I know better than to jump to the conclusion that Magic in its entirety is going the way of the dodo.

GW is pretty much on the way out so there's no real reason to keep a license like that when you can just print money with Star Wars products.

I have been continuously hearing/reading armchair experts claiming that Geedub is ten seconds away from a nuclear meltdown since the day I first got into gaming. That's close to twenty years now, so you'll have to excuse me if I'm a bit sceptical.

Yes, and that's exactly the point. Geedub has put on their big boy pants and made the hard decision to axe a struggling product line that was bleeding money and replaced it with a fresh new product that is already doing better.

Okay, I get it, you don't like the game and you want it to be failing miserably as a way to legitimize you not liking it. But this is simply and objectively not true, as evidenced by the previous big new model release (Ironjawz) having some specific character models selling out at the preorder stage and the next one after that (Sylvaneth) having almost everything selling out at the preorder stage, with retailers having trouble to get it in stock.

I can only go by several local game stores and no one plays the game. People played Fantasy and there even a recent Mordheim campaign. At least one shop got rid of everything GW and another is thinking about it.

If that's the situation in your area, than yeah, that's pretty rough. It's not representative of the global market though. Down in my neck of the woods, there's one or two stores that are struggling to move Magic, but I know better than to jump to the conclusion that Magic in its entirety is going the way of the dodo.

GW is pretty much on the way out so there's no real reason to keep a license like that when you can just print money with Star Wars products.

I have been continuously hearing/reading armchair experts claiming that Geedub is ten seconds away from a nuclear meltdown since the day I first got into gaming. That's close to twenty years now, so you'll have to excuse me if I'm a bit sceptical.

Reference? Can I get actual sales figures? I just see poor sales figures from stuff like this .

Edited by Kubernes

Reference? Can I get actual sales figures? I just see poor sales figures from stuff like this .

No, because they do not publish sales figures for individual product lines. Also, I find it quite possible that May and June 2016 releases that I continue to reference and you continue to ignore as examples of Age of Sigmar doing better are not taken into account in a November 2015 financial report. Also, while it is true that their numbers have been declining the last few years after the LotR bubble burst, we might have some differing definitions of things. A gaming company having 16 million GBP yearly profits ( http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/07/games-workshop-2015-16-annual-financials.html , 2% increase over the previous year in fact) isn't what I would call "being on the way out".

Edited by Don_Silvarro

OY! Back of the class and no lunchtime for suggesting such ridiculousness ;)

AWW c'mon! It has chaos, and boob-dryads, and sigmarines and...

OK I just realised that if they gonna base the rules on the tabletop game, then the cards will have no costs and you can just play the most OP stuff in your hand on the first turn... oh and "riding an invisble horse" and "having the best mustache" will be actual rules.

Yeah, gimme my dunce cap, I'll go sit in the corner now. :)

AWW c'mon! It has chaos, and boob-dryads, and sigmarines and...

OK I just realised that if they gonna base the rules on the tabletop game, then the cards will have no costs and you can just play the most OP stuff in your hand on the first turn... oh and "riding an invisble horse" and "having the best mustache" will be actual rules.

Yeah, gimme my dunce cap, I'll go sit in the corner now. :)

Dont forget that after 12 months your first cards will all be useless as the rules get re-written and all the races, unit sizes, abilities and fundamental constants of the universe are changed... Ooops its getting political again, apologies for de-railing the thread.

Can create another GW-Hate thread or take to PM if you like :)

For the record, I love GW products, just not happy with the company choices the last 10 years or so.

Sorry

Dont forget that after 12 months your first cards will all be useless as the rules get re-written and all the races, unit sizes, abilities and fundamental constants of the universe are changed... Ooops its getting political again, apologies for de-railing the thread.

Can create another GW-Hate thread or take to PM if you like :)

For the record, I love GW products, just not happy with the company choices the last 10 years or so.

Sorry

40k is still fine with me. Mostly. OP eldar D weapons jetbikespam grumble grumble...

But Knights, Admech, harlequins and flippin' genestealer cult are to, awesome not to like.

Eh I never got into AoS as I'm an old world fan. (big on Mordheim and the Black Library novels like Archaon, Malus Darkblade, Brunner and the Bretonnia trilogy) but why i thought AoS was dead in the water i'm actually seeing a slow rise.
The wargaming hobby is nearly dead over here. (me and my buddy dabble in many systems and play Mordheim with a few friends but the traditionals seemed dead) But AoS is actually on the rise.

And in a way I do appreciate the system... somewhat. Not my thing but people are having fun with it. And they're buying kits which is good for local activity and the local store.
So... i'm looking at it more positive than before.

As for ending the current LCG lines. I've been collecting the LCG Lotr game (i already stopped with the SW one as well... i loved the art but it lacked something). If they announced tomorrow they're ending the Lotr LCG I will not even mind. They got tons of quests and options and frankly they're pulling plenty of stuff out of their (beep) as is trying to squeeze more content out of it.

Also LCG's and CCGs are and stay playable if you enjoy casual play. Make some decks bring em out... have fun with a buddy.

Edited by Darthvegeta800

I shouldnt de-rail sorry, but wanted to add a +1 for old world fan.

For faves,

WFB 3rd ed or alternatively 4th/5th

W40K 2nd Ed

Its the models, sculpts and IP I love, rules for me tailed off some years ago though I still collected them.

Sorry back to original topic. In a sense, the fact they have just announced AH-LCG and everybody knows L5R-LCG is on the horizon, I think this means the future of LCG's is indeed being honoured, even if the stopped Conquest and/or LotR tomorrow.

I think thats positive at least :)

Age of sigmar is utter trash. And I didn't even like the old Warhammer world!

No, because they do not publish sales figures for individual product lines. Also, I find it quite possible that May and June 2016 releases that I continue to reference and you continue to ignore as examples of Age of Sigmar doing better are not taken into account in a November 2015 financial report. Also, while it is true that their numbers have been declining the last few years after the LotR bubble burst, we might have some differing definitions of things. A gaming company having 16 million GBP yearly profits ( http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/07/games-workshop-2015-16-annual-financials.html , 2% increase over the previous year in fact) isn't what I would call "being on the way out".

Except that the numbers are showing no real increase in the company. Consistently, GW is flat and/or underperforming. Retail profits went down, for instance. General operating profits went down (combined report) which is pretty awful for the company, with royalties being the only thing to keep them going through the period. It seems that they've been spending money on things like "intangible assets" rather than anything physical, have less over all cash on hand, numerous areas are down, and so on. That's absolutely troubling for the company.

The overall report pretty much shows that Age of Sigmar really didn't do anything for the company, despite people constantly saying it was a great release. Unless things turn around in the year of "Age of Sigmar", the overall new system was a failure.