What does this mean for LCGs?

By DakkaDakka, in Star Wars: Destiny

I can tell you for certain that this was not on their minisite yesterday:

What does this mean for Living Card Games?

Star Wars : Destiny exists in a completely separate space from our Living Card GamesĀ®. Our LCG model has been extremely successful, and we are looking forward to continuing to support it, both now and in the future.

We absolutely believe that collectible games and non-collectible games like LCGs can exist side-by-side, appealing to different segments of the greater gaming community. We want to offer strong options for fans of collectible games and fans of non-collectible games, while taking nothing away from either one. We look forward to supporting fans of both categories in years to come.

Yes it was.

Yeah, I definitely saw that. I kept missing the pulldown 'read more' thing on the one page, that had a lot of info, and it's spread out weird between the video, splash page, and the other pages, but that was in there along with quite a bit of other decent info if you keep looking.

Sorry. I meant it wasn't there Friday. I posted this on Saturday, but for some reason it didn't go through until today.

Edited by DakkaDakka

No, it was there on Friday as well.

I think I saw it there. You must have just missed it. No worries, I missed it first time too.

"Difficult to see, Always in motion is the product page."

The dark side clouds everything, impossible to see, the full rules are."

Review_YodaTBS6_still.jpg

LCGs are aimed at gamers - sure they have FFG's usual slickness and ease of entry - but let's face it their target audience is primarily established gamers. As such the target market is FLGS. They are the kind of stores that can support the multiple SKUs of an LCG - ie 1 for a core, 6 for every cycle, plus the deluxe boxes. They're also the places that support and run events and help to build the community around the game.

Destiny is aimed towards the mass market crowd - this game is primarily aimed at your Walmarts, Targets, Tesco etc - and that's why it needs to be collectible - it's all about the SKUs. Those mass market stores will never stock LCG levels of SKUs. 'Awakenings' has at least 170 cards (and it's probably more around the 200 mark). With an LCG like model, or non random products - you're looking at tons of SKUs. With it being collectible, you've got 3 SKUs to start with, and depending on if they do the $15 dollar starters for each 'set' or only a booster box for each, you've got between 1-3 SKUs for each set.

Of course there will be overlap - gamers will play Destiny and FLGS will stock it, but muggles don't play LCGs and mass market stores don't stock them - they're different games with primarily different markets - therefore both can co-exist and neither threatens the other.

Considering they just announced a new LCG and we know that L5R is coming next year, I'd say the LCGs are here to stay.

Well, there goes my 6 LCG theory.

Who knows, maybe LotR is on its way out. (Disclaimer: I really have no idea how any of the LCGs are doing these days.)

Well, if those Conquest rumors are true.

Well, if those Conquest rumors are true.

By the emperor I hope not!

So how many LCG are active?

Star Wars

Netrunner

GOT v2

LOTR

Upcoming Arkam Horror

What am I forgetting?

Star Wars

Netrunner

GOT v2

LOTR

Upcoming Arkam Horror

What am I forgetting?

Warhammer 40,000 Conquest

Legend of the Five Rings (coming soon)

Yeah:

SW

ANR

AGoT2E

LotR

40K Conquest

Incoming:

Arkham

L5R

Shelved:

AGoT1E

Cthulu

Warhammer Fantasy: Invasion

My early guess is that Arkham will make it 6. Then the Conquest rumors will probably be true and L5R will take it's place in the 6. Then SWLCG will sadly probably be about done by the time FFG has another one incoming.

The other 3 (AGoT, ANR, & LotR) all are pretty popular and should be around for a while yet.

Edited by Mattr0polis

What is going on with conquest? I've been on reduced internet time for most of this year so I'm out of the loop.

Edited by Darksbane

Star Wars

Netrunner

GOT v2

LOTR

Upcoming Arkam Horror

What am I forgetting?

Warhammer 40,000 Conquest

Legend of the Five Rings (coming soon)

Edit: Thank you Matt for your list :)

Edited by JediGeekGirl

What is going on with conquest? I've been on reduced internet time for most of this year so I'm out of the loop.

I'm not in the know, as I don't play Conquest, but I've seen overlap players talking about it in forums for my LCGs saying that according to Conquest playtesters there is nothing else coming down the pipeline and that Games Workshop has ideas of making their own card game for Warhammer 40K and so might've told FFG to discontinue.

A lot of hearsay, but I've seen that being said a lot.

Wow. By the sounds of it, none of their games are going to last long enough for rotation to even matter.

Wow. By the sounds of it, none of their games are going to last long enough for rotation to even matter.

I think Netrunner will

I think Netrunner will

Netrunner, AGOT 2, SW In order of survival. LOTR and Conquest are in slight trouble, but I hope to get a few more xpansions out of conquest.

I'm not in the know, as I don't play Conquest, but I've seen overlap players talking about it in forums for my LCGs saying that according to Conquest playtesters there is nothing else coming down the pipeline and that Games Workshop has ideas of making their own card game for Warhammer 40K and so might've told FFG to discontinue.

Huh, that sucks if true. Gameplay wise I loved Conquest, I actually think it could have been themed as a SW card game with great success if there wasn't already a SWLCG.

Anyone that could explain me what an SKU is? You keep mentioning it, but it's pitch balck here folks...

I've heard that too, but again, all heresay.