For Shame

By JackofHearts, in Star Wars: Destiny

And to say that it is done out of "greed" is a little silly. We live in a capitalistic society. People create products to make money to support themselves (

last time i checked, FFG appeared to be doing very well for themselves. why switch it up now?

Because maybe they want a product that appeals to people who enjoy the collectible model? Companies don't grow and stay profitable by simply doing the same thing for the same markets over and over again.

And seriously, if this kind of game doesn't appeal to you, don't buy it . FFG will still keep making the kinds of games you do like. They're not going to show up one day and take all your X-Wing miniatures or all your Arkham expansions because you're not buying enough Destiny. Have your fun and let other people have theirs.

FFG hasn't really had a good track record for good balance in the early stages of their new games due to them either not giving enough time for play testing, not enough play testers or a combination of the two

Interesting considering Netrunner, (same designer as Destiny) has so little errata done i can count it on one hand....considering MTG updates 1-2 times a year sometimes more, if you look at their online database a significant portion of their cards have rules clarifications attached to them. Seems to me like he knows what hes doing. Also speaks volumes in terms of good track record and playtesting.

FFG hasn't really had a good track record for good balance in the early stages of their new games due to them either not giving enough time for play testing, not enough play testers or a combination of the two

Interesting considering Netrunner, (same designer as Destiny) has so little errata done i can count it on one hand....considering MTG updates 1-2 times a year sometimes more, if you look at their online database a significant portion of their cards have rules clarifications attached to them. Seems to me like he knows what hes doing. Also speaks volumes in terms of good track record and playtesting.

Netrunner had a small selection of its Core Set become overly meta defining. To the point that they had to introduce the Most Wanted List to break up what was a stagnant meta. They could have utilized errata, but went with a different option to accomplish the same goal.

Additionally, they were forced to introduce Jackson Howard to fix both an intrinsic issue with the game engine and to remedy a non-interactive deck type. At release there was no ability to deal with agenda flooding as the Corp, if it happened you just lost and really didn't play the game. Additionally Noise provided an avenue for attack in which the Runner never had to really play the game, just mill and then finally check the discard, as the Corp had no ability to combat the mill.

FFG does have an issue with balance concerns within their initial offerings. But so does every single major producer. None of them playtest for long enough, doing so isn't realistic, nor can an playtest group substitute for the general public's ability to pull a game apart.

Edited by ScottieATF

What a self-righteous, absurd turd-pile this is from the OP.

We have choice, to play what we desire. We enjoy Fantasy Flight and what they offer.

As stated numerous times above, simply don't buy it.

And Lego your ego.

And seriously, if this kind of game doesn't appeal to you, don't buy it . FFG will still keep making the kinds of games you do like. They're not going to show up one day and take all your X-Wing miniatures or all your Arkham expansions because you're not buying enough Destiny. Have your fun and let other people have theirs.

Wait. Wait. Wait. You mean to tell my if I don't like ONE product out of the hundred plus that a company produces, I am not forced to buy it? Furthermore I am free to still enjoy the products I already bought, and also free to continue buy the products the company makes that I do like? And I can do all this, you say, without making an inflammatory post on the interwebs?

What a world we live in.

This is a joke, right? Dude, Netrunner FAQ has 20 pages. And Destiny currently is unplayable without FAQ.

This is a joke, right? Dude, Netrunner FAQ has 20 pages. And Destiny currently is unplayable without FAQ.

Out of curiosity, what makes Destiny unplayable without a faq (besides, you know, not being released for several more months)?

I played already more than 10 games with real decks (build from 30% spoiled cards) and without establishing some rulings it's no use playing.

Can you resolve more than one die with special ability during one action?

What is zero philosophy in this game? Can you reroll zero ("any number") dice? Can you discard a card to reroll zero dice? Can you play an event just for playing? E.g. Dodge zero dice?

Can you replace an upgrade even if a character has less than three upgrades?

What restrictions are valid during redeploy?

Timing during resolving focus for another focus.

Awakening - can other modifiers apply to this one die?

Let the wookie win - what if opponent has only one die? Zero dice?

How max works: can Qui-Gon use his ability if he has 3 shields?

BB-8 special - can I use it if there is no other die?

Is Luke drawing mandatory?

Yes, I know that some are less important, some are "quasi answered" by rules, and some are just doubts. If you like to discuss please do so in a new thread.

(besides, you know, not being released for several more months)?

So do you believe FAQ will be ready for the release? You are optimist.

(besides, you know, not being released for several more months)?

So do you believe FAQ will be ready for the release? You are optimist.

I was talking about the game, not the faq. The faq will likely be one to three months after the game's release.

The starter pack rules leaflet we saw is exactly that: a startr rules leaflet. I'm 100% sure we'll see an expanded and extended .pdf rulebook once the game comes out.

Physical dead tree intro rules in the product, downloadable rules reference for all the wonky interactions, terminology definitions and timing issues. Not unlike what Magic, or indeed any CCG, does.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

I'm 100% sure we'll see an expanded and extended .pdf rulebook once the game comes out.

Why the hell would you describe discard a card to reroll zero dice unless your a moron

I'm 100% sure we'll see an expanded and extended .pdf rulebook once the game comes out.

I don't think so. Remember that it must come with the starter pack.

Why the hell would you describe discard a card to reroll zero dice unless your a moron

It's now FFG standard procedure to release a Rules Reference Guide with their games. Download that and you are good to go.

To stall without passing

You can already do that. It's called Passing. You only claim the battlefield if you choose to. It's in the rules inserts pictures you posted.

You can already do that. It's called Passing. You only claim the battlefield if you choose to. It's in the rules inserts pictures you posted.

Yes but it is still an option. And a risk. But could be worth the risk depending on what you have planned.

You're*

To stall without passing

I agree, and had this thought during demos too: I want to take an action that would effectively be passing, but not actual passing, to gauge opponent's reaction.

Edited by clique84

Yes but it is still an option. And a risk. But could be worth the risk depending on what you have planned.

Right but I was answering a question on why you would want to discard a card and reroll 0. I know that passing is an option and it has a risk, which is why you might be willing to discard a card to reroll 0 instead (if it is a legal move). I honestly hope it isnt a legal move though, rules lawering like this is something I hope we can mostly avoid in this game.

Edited by Darksbane

There are plenty of cases in X-Wing where you can spend something to modify zero things, just to trigger effects that happen when you spend that something. Wouldn't be surprised to see FFG do something similar here.

There are plenty of cases in X-Wing where you can spend something to modify zero things, just to trigger effects that happen when you spend that something. Wouldn't be surprised to see FFG do something similar here.

That's because in those instances the spending of those tokens changes all of of a certain result to another. All naturally includes zero.

In this game the action says to discard a card to reroll "one or more dice". That can't include zero. So I'm really unsure as to why that is somehow unclear to some.