For Shame

By JackofHearts, in Star Wars: Destiny

I seriously thought this company was better than this. I never thought I'd see the day when Fantasy Flight would start releasing intentionally exploitative collectible games. FFG has always been a consumer first company, using superior quality to sell their products: it's absolutely shameful that they've decided to sell gambling to children.

I'm personally heartbroken over this choice. What happened to the company that wrote this simple, elegant take down of blind buy packs?

For shame, Fantasy Flight. You've seriously gone down in my estimation.

What happened? They were purchased.

That said, not every game they make will be for everyone but some people love the collectible aspect.

You understand that this isn't their first randomized product, right? Before the conversion/creation of the LCG, A Game of Thrones and Call of Cthulthlu were both CCGs made by FFG.

And frankly, they are looking at a different market. The LCG model can't be supported by big box retailers. The model for this game is prime for getting into Walmart or Toys R Us or Target. Which has been a goal of Asmodee for a while.

I said this in the other thread, but I'll reiterate it here. I am less discouraged by the choice of distribution method than I am by the fact that they still haven't done anything purely cooperative with the license. I was really disappointed when the co-op was scrapped and redesigned as pvp (I know many feel just the opposite--that's cool, different strokes and all). To hear that they have developed a new dice/card game and then to look it up and learn that it is yet another two player competitive game is quite disappointing. Add this to the fact that Descent has gotten an app for pure co-op, and IA may not due to licensing restrictions, and it feels like gamers looking for a cooperative Star Wars experience have been teased and let down quite a bit.

Prequel characters? Blind buys?

**** off FFG. And while you're at it tell your French owners to **** off too.

It's not their first random product but their CCGs were many years ago. They are the ones who invented the fixed-content LCG format and did away with random products and they haven't looked back, until now (which you're right may just be because of Asmodee). They continued to improve that model over the years too. They got rid of the old 40 card packs with 3xCommons + 1xRares. They've kept working on improving the mix of cards in their Core sets. This is the model that other card games try to emulate because they've got it DOWN.

Anyway, I agree that this looks like a game aimed at kids. It's got a kiddie packaging scheme, and appears to be light enough for kids to play (i.e. - lacking in enough depth to interest LCG players).

For pure co-op, Imperial Assault app? I'm sure it's got to be coming.

**** sakes folks relax. Don't want it, don't get it.

This doesn't impact LCGs or vice versa. Separate games and models. Both can exist and have their own audiences.

Edited by Toqtamish

I for one am excited by this announcement.

For shame on you for shaming them before we even have all the details.

Oh, get over it everyone. There are a lot of people that like the CCG model, and they already said the LCG isn't going anywhere.

Support what you like and don't act like a baby because they release a product you don't like.

Prequel characters? Finally. So sick of the prequel hate. It's canon, it happened, and that era has been greatly improved upon by media that came after.

Blind buys? Whatever. Sometimes its fun to test your luck.

Prequel characters? Finally. So sick of the prequel hate. It's canon, it happened, and that era has been greatly improved upon by media that came after.

The whole game is luck based though, why add another level? A level that adds competitive advantage? It's a stupid call.

The whole game is luck based though, why add another level? A level that adds competitive advantage? It's a stupid call.

Stupid in the same way the only other successful collectible dice game also has this, or stupid in the way that you don't like it?

I doubt the entire game is luck based. Heck rolling dice is not luck based there's a lot of probability and calculations that can go into it, deciding what to re-roll etc.

That's like saying the entire game of X-wing or IA is luck based and skill has no place.

How do you know this game is luck based? Have you played it? How is packs being random a competitive advantage? If you spend more on MTG does it make you a better player and win more? The answer is no. Not only that, this is a chance to bring in a whole new player base for FFG/Asmodee. MTG is a CCG and has been around for almost 25 years. If this game is even 1/4 as successful as that game then it is a homerun for FFG/Asmodee. How is that a stupid call?

I agree. The prequels get an extraordinary amount of hate and don't deserve it. They introduced some of the better characters in the Star Wars Saga.

I actually prefer the prequels over the new movie. But ye know what... given all the reboots/retcons over the years SW lore wise (not to mention the current huge one). Just take what movies, novels and stuff ye like and stick to those. It is what i'll do.

As for the business model.
I did the LCG for a bit but stopped it didn't spark with me for some reason.
I may give this one a chance if the business model isn't going to **** me over...

I'll probably mod it for darkside vs darkside and all affiliation team up chaos. Not like we have a competitive scene over here for anything whatsoever...

Why do you hate this game? Just don't play it, good grief! Here let me help, close your eyes and pretend it's yesterday. Now pretend you never heard about this game and go away. Problem solved for everyone!

As a side note, keep at it FFG! You haven't let me down yet and don't look to do so anywhere in the near future!

I seriously thought this company was better than this. I never thought I'd see the day when Fantasy Flight would start releasing intentionally exploitative collectible games. FFG has always been a consumer first company, using superior quality to sell their products: it's absolutely shameful that they've decided to sell gambling to children.

I'm personally heartbroken over this choice. What happened to the company that wrote this simple, elegant take down of blind buy packs?

For shame, Fantasy Flight. You've seriously gone down in my estimation.

Yeah, I've lost faith in them. This is just pathetic that they are going backwards.

**** sakes folks relax. Don't want it, don't get it.

This doesn't impact LCGs or vice versa. Separate games and models. Both can exist and have their own audiences.

Are you sure? It doesn't impact existing ones, but what about future ones?

You understand that this isn't their first randomized product, right? Before the conversion/creation of the LCG, A Game of Thrones and Call of Cthulthlu were both CCGs made by FFG.

They got better. ;)

Judging by some of the responses I've read FFG became a rallying point for people who were fed up with collectable games. And now they feel that rallying point has been compromised.

Perosnally I'm not that bothered with it.

What's next, a collectable Game of thrones dice game?

giphy.gif

;)

Edited by Robin Graves

They got better. ;)

Judging by some of the responses I've read FFG became a rallying point for people who were fed up with collectable games. And now they feel that rallying point has been compromised.

Perosnally I'm not that bothered with it.

Exactly.

How do you know this game is luck based? Have you played it? How is packs being random a competitive advantage? If you spend more on MTG does it make you a better player and win more? The answer is no. Not only that, this is a chance to bring in a whole new player base for FFG/Asmodee. MTG is a CCG and has been around for almost 25 years. If this game is even 1/4 as successful as that game then it is a homerun for FFG/Asmodee. How is that a stupid call?

I was gonna say dice are inheritatly luck based, but if playing DM has tought me anything, then it's that you make your own luck (making sure you get rer rolls, dice management etc.)

I'm fairly sure the "no Prequels" thing was coming down from Disney in the run-up to The Force Awakens because they didn't want people looking backward, and didn't want to remind people of the disappointment in the run-up to the film's release. Now that they've established their bona fides, they probably feel a little more comfortable acknowledging the CGI elephant in the room. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Old Repubilc-era sourcebooks for the various RPGs soon.

Things is there never was a no prequels thing. People just assumed that. They have the Star Wars license. This includes all Star Wars.

Things is there never was a no prequels thing. People just assumed that. They have the Star Wars license. This includes all Star Wars.

Well, I don't think there was ever any external force preventing them from doing prequel stuff, but there was certainly a heavy trend of avoiding prequels until now. I've seen many interviews where FFG personnel were asked about prequels and the response was basically that it's possible but they don't see a need for it. So regardless of whether there was a compulsion other than money that caused them to avoid prequels, they were still clearly avoiding it until now.