For Shame

By JackofHearts, in Star Wars: Destiny

What does the fact that Asmodee is French have to do with anything? I have seen this mentioned in some of the other threads, like it has some import on this issue. If Asmodee put pressure on FFG to have a collectible game (not that I am terribly convinced they did), the fact they are French is irrelevant.

What does the fact that Asmodee is French have to do with anything? I have seen this mentioned in some of the other threads, like it has some import on this issue. If Asmodee put pressure on FFG to have a collectible game (not that I am terribly convinced they did), the fact they are French is irrelevant.

Because French banker=evil. The conclusion is inescapable. :P

Because French banker=evil. The conclusion is inescapable. :P

They are clearly satanists! Asmodee = Asmodius! :D

witchsmellerface.jpg

CONFESSION!!!

While I could care less about a CCG, I'm quite happy that FFG is testing the prequels water. Sure, the original trilogy was my favorite, probably because I watched them as they came out when I was growing up But these are three more movies that have more content to offer for some great games. I like X-Wing and Armada, and both have some ships from the prequel era I wouldn't mind seeing. The ARC-170 was perhaps a toe dip into that realm, but it was carefully packaged in a "This isn't your prequel's version of this ship" package. Also, puling a few Sourcebooks into the RPG would be nice too. Especially since all these things would be optional, and those that want to continue to pretend the prequels didn't happen could elect to continue doing so by not purchasing these expansions.

I think it's really fun to open random packs and see what you get!

I think it's really fun to open random packs and see what you get!

Two months ago, I would have agreed with you. I had been yearning for the feel of boosters, and would have welcomed this game. Then I bought Millennium Blades. Scratches the itch for $50, way less then I'd spend on a TCG.

What's next, a collectable Game of thrones dice game?

giphy.gif

;)

YES PLEASE!!!!!! That aside, They did the ccg thing for awhile and now with both the exp of there ccg days and there currnt exp in LCGs Im sure FFG will do right by the genre

;)

YES PLEASE!!!!!! That aside, They did the ccg thing for awhile and now with both the exp of there ccg days and there currnt exp in LCGs Im sure FFG will do right by the genre

Plus they are working on a reskin/retool of cosmic encounters for aGoT. That seems prommesing.

Now I also want a reskin of imperial assault for aGoT. (and can we please have a playable House Bolton faction?)

Edited by Robin Graves

;)

Plus they are working on a reskin/retool of cosmic encounters for aGoT. That seems prommesing.

Now I also want a reskin of imperial assault for aGoT. (and can we please have a playable House Bolton faction?)

Roose Bolton is Supreme Leader Snoke CONFIRMED!

**** sakes folks relax. Don't want it, don't get it.

This doesn't impact LCGs or vice versa. Separate games and models. Both can exist and have their own audiences.

problem that many of us in this mindset are facing is that it looks like an amazing game, but the randomization factors with games such as M:tG, end up being a HUGE money pit to play on a competitive level. As such, our amazement in this game turns to ash in our mouths. Playing casually can be much harder to do when you are the only person in your group of friends that's actually interested in the game, so just to play it many of us will need to find a competitive scene, which requires deep pockets

;)

Roose Bolton is Supreme Leader Snoke CONFIRMED!

Might aswell...I've heard just about everyone in the SW universe being Snoke: Plagueis, Palpatine, Vader, Ezra, Jarjar, Luke, the list goes on...

I don't understand all the hate. Around my area in Nebraska back during Star Wars Miniatures from WoTC we never had a real issue with cost pricing people out of competitive play.

Also, can we just say that "competitive play" is a relative term? It's relative to where you play and the people you play with, and even then you can create counter decks surely. My strategy for most games is to buy a booster box and then fill in the blanks of what I want through occasional random packs, trading, and singles purchasing. There is nothing unreasonable about playing a couple tournaments in your local area after putting together your best deck, seeing what is winning and building a counter. This really shouldn't be too expensive when compared to other games?

The cost of the LCG isn't cheap for competitive play either. The Hoth packs cost $15 each, and with 6 of them you are looking at $90 but you need two of each to be fully competitive right? So how is $180 cheap compared to buying one or two booster cases in this game? Worse is you almost have to fork over that money every time with the LCG because there isn't that randomization so people know exactly what they need to buy to build the exact meta competitive decks.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off rude, I just feel like I have a huge mental block or am really missing something that causes all this backlash against the CCG format.

i love the random blind buys , helps people interact by trading and not just playing and will make a worldwide trading community for a star wars ccg again

If you dont like it then dont buy it , that way i will have one less whinny moany sad t***er to deal with when i come to trading and playing .

ffg , gaming and star wars fans will be better without you

The cost of the LCG isn't cheap for competitive play either. The Hoth packs cost $15 each, and with 6 of them you are looking at $90 but you need two of each to be fully competitive right? So how is $180 cheap compared to buying one or two booster cases in this game? Worse is you almost have to fork over that money every time with the LCG because there isn't that randomization so people know exactly what they need to buy to build the exact meta competitive decks.

Actually, to be competetive, you can skip the Hoth cycle entirely. There are a few key packs in the Echoes of the Force Cycle, the Rogue Squadron Cycle and the Endor Cycle. But all of those packs have a full playset, so you only need one of each pack. Really, if you want to be competitive, the "big boxes" are your best entry point, being Between the Shadows (Jedi/Scum), Imperial Entanglements (Navy/Smugglers (although the smuggler sets are pretty poor), and Galactic Ambitions (Sith/Rebels). Those you also only need one of. The core sets are the two of's (core being the actual Core and Edge of Darkness).

But your point is still valid,if you want to look at completeness.

I seriously thought this company was better than this. I never thought I'd see the day when Fantasy Flight would start releasing intentionally exploitative collectible games. FFG has always been a consumer first company, using superior quality to sell their products: it's absolutely shameful that they've decided to sell gambling to children.

I'm personally heartbroken over this choice. What happened to the company that wrote this simple, elegant take down of blind buy packs?

For shame, Fantasy Flight. You've seriously gone down in my estimation.

Haha.. Go away

Actually, to be competetive, you can skip the Hoth cycle entirely. There are a few key packs in the Echoes of the Force Cycle, the Rogue Squadron Cycle and the Endor Cycle. But all of those packs have a full playset, so you only need one of each pack. Really, if you want to be competitive, the "big boxes" are your best entry point, being Between the Shadows (Jedi/Scum), Imperial Entanglements (Navy/Smugglers (although the smuggler sets are pretty poor), and Galactic Ambitions (Sith/Rebels). Those you also only need one of. The core sets are the two of's (core being the actual Core and Edge of Darkness).

But your point is still valid,if you want to look at completeness.

Thanks for the correction. I may have misread or been misinformed (it was a while ago) when I was told you need to buy two of the cycle type packs to be completely competitive.

Well I guess I am a minority. I love the hobby side of CCG's. My favorite game of all times is Decipher's Star Wars it was like having Star Wars collectibles toy and and a great game in one package.

There are two things that bother me about the people that are upset about this format.

1) People angry its a CCG forget that there are people out there that LOVE CCGs. I love to CCGs. (Magic is a many million dollar cash cow every year...and growing) I personally cannot stand LCGs, they make me feel obligated to buy basically every expac that comes out to stay competitive, and it feels oppressive.

2) people assume we are all collectionists/completionists just because they are. The truly competitive players of this game will forego the random pack cracking almost completely and buy what they need on the secondary market. And a lot of casual players will likely dabble in both.

Disclaimer: These are opinions based off of my personal preference and are not indicative of the community as a whole.

MTG revenue claim: http://investor.hasbro.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=953697

((while they don't break down the numbers exactly MTG is their flagship game, and has been stated that it generates significant income in their games segment))

I seriously thought this company was better than this. I never thought I'd see the day when Fantasy Flight would start releasing intentionally exploitative collectible games. FFG has always been a consumer first company, using superior quality to sell their products: it's absolutely shameful that they've decided to sell gambling to children.

I'm personally heartbroken over this choice. What happened to the company that wrote this simple, elegant take down of blind buy packs?

For shame, Fantasy Flight. You've seriously gone down in my estimation.

Good, Good, let the hate flow through you.

Good, Give in to your anger.

There are two things that bother me about the people that are upset about this format.

1) People angry its a CCG forget that there are people out there that LOVE CCGs. I love to CCGs. (Magic is a many million dollar cash cow every year...and growing) I personally cannot stand LCGs, they make me feel obligated to buy basically every expac that comes out to stay competitive, and it feels oppressive.

2) people assume we are all collectionists/completionists just because they are. The truly competitive players of this game will forego the random pack cracking almost completely and buy what they need on the secondary market. And a lot of casual players will likely dabble in both.

Disclaimer: These are opinions based off of my personal preference and are not indicative of the community as a whole.

MTG revenue claim: http://investor.hasbro.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=953697

((while they don't break down the numbers exactly MTG is their flagship game, and has been stated that it generates significant income in their games segment))

33473545.jpg

The truly competitive players of this game will forego the random pack cracking almost completely and buy what they need on the secondary market. And a lot of casual players will likely dabble in both.

this is where the money really comes into play. certain competitive rares will always be played in most decks and due to their demand and randomness from the packs, the price begins to skyrocket to the point where people pay $20, $30, hell even upwards of the $50 mark per card

depending on where the market goes, i think $20-$30 for the good rares will be what we end up paying for it. where as if they released say a $40-$50 pack that includes one of each card along with the dice needed, boom, you spend $100, you get everything you need and that's that

where as the CCG route i wouldn't be surprised to see decks averaging roughly $200; and that's only for the cards included in the deck, not including all the other options available. Not to mention the huge amount of waste that comes from CCG's. That's a huge waste of plastic, paper and ink, all in the name of greed

CCG's extort people for money. The only truly good thing about CCG's is the local game stores that capitalize on the secondary market in an area that has a strong player base. Which allows them to keep the money flowing into their store and hosting large tournaments on a regular basis.

I honestly believe FFG has had a good thing going with their games and everything is known before you buy. it allows you to make educated decisions and spend your money wisely

This game looks great but not better than M:tG. when it really boils down to it; if i want to spend big money on a game like this, I'll buy into M:tG any day of the week, because i know Magic isn't going anywhere and if you buy smart, and protect your cards, they will only increase in value most of the time

FFG hasn't really had a good track record for good balance in the early stages of their new games due to them either not giving enough time for play testing, not enough play testers or a combination of the two

Edited by executor

this is where the money really comes into play. certain competitive rares will always be played in most decks and due to their demand and randomness from the packs, the price begins to skyrocket to the point where people pay $20, $30, hell even upwards of the $50 mark per card

depending on where the market goes, i think $20-$30 for the good rares will be what we end up paying for it.

Sure, certain cards for what people consider "top tier competitive" will initially balloon up. This is where my points about knowing what is being played at that level and counters are important. If I can look back at the other previous game I played and use it as an example again then I can show that counters to top tier competitive decks aren't always expensive.

In Star Wars Miniatures fourth set that released, two pieces were added to the game in Grand Admiral Thrawn (Very Rare (1/4 Boosters contain a VR)) and Darth Vader, Jedi Hunter(Rare (3/4 Boosters contained a standard Rare). In Star Wars Minis, each player took turns by activating two pieces at a time, going back and forth until one player ran out of activations and then the other play could finish activating all their pieces. Thrawn had an ability that allowed that player to win the initiative each round 95% of the time and on his activation he could swap the places of two characters within 6 spaces of him. This led to a lot of people getting Thrawn used as one of the last two moves for a players round where they would move him in position and swap out a cheap piece like an Ewok with Darth Vader. Then Vader would activate, bash you for a lot of damage and the round would end. Thrawn player would win initiative for the next round most of the time, activate Vader again and then swap Vader away and put the ewok back in. It was absolutely maddening because this could drop nearly every single piece in the game in an instant, as Vader could easily do 90 Damage with each activation, and only a single character in the game had 200HP at that time.

The counter wound up being what most people considered a throw away rare from the previous set named San Hill. His ability was passive, and as long as he was alive his player could only activate one piece per turn. This meant you saved up and used a late round assault to destroy the decoy pieces that Vader would swap with or make a late round push to try and drop Vader if the option was alluring enough.

I want to say San Hill cost about $5 at his prime, Thrawn $40, and Vader, Jedi Hunter roughly $20. Their cost haven't changed much by proportion since then, and here are current prices for all those pieces from Miniatures Market today-

San Hill- $2.05

Grand Admiral Thrawn- $15.25

Darth Vader, Jedi Hunter- $9.50

This is why I just can't buy this notion of $200 decks being a MUST HAVE TO BE COMPETITIVE. I played my San Hill squad well and sure enough some of the Vader/Thrawn combo disappeared from my area and counters to my counter squad started appearing, but ultimately this helped the game stay open and encourage players to try creative and different things in our area and it went fantastic. I know its nothing real new, but any top deck will have its counter, the counter isn't ALWAYS going to be expensive. Things also depend on your friend group. If you have friends who would rather play thematic decks instead of competitive then having to sink money in to a top tier competitive meta deck shouldn't be a concern even.

Sorry to anyone who didn't play Star Wars Miniatures. I tried to make it simple for my example but I can totally see where it just might sound like someone rambling. :)

CCGs are not "extorting" anyone. They are a leisure product. There are quite literally millions of ways to spend your entertainment budget. Some people enjoy collecting and hunting down "rare" items to finish their collection. Some people would rather just get their entire experience right out of the box. These are both equally valid forms of buying games. Just because you do not have that collector's mentality, does not mean that appealing to it is "extortion", it's simply catering to a different audience.

And to say that it is done out of "greed" is a little silly. We live in a capitalistic society. People create products to make money to support themselves (and if their products are good enough, to make a LOT of money and indulge in luxuries.) It is no more greedy to sell a CCG to collectors than to sell an LCG to non-collectors. The end goal is the same: make as much money as possible. If that wasn't the goal, they would sell the games at their cost, which is much lower than you are paying for LCG sets.

I have zero interest in LCGs. I have never purchased an FFG product, but the idea of a collectible card and dice game set in the Star Wars universe is intriguing to me. The dice look to be of a high quality (which gives Destiny the nod over Dice Masters, even though I'm a bigger Marvel nerd than Star Wars nerd these days), the artwork/graphic design on the cards looks top-notch, the gameplay looks interesting, and it seems fairly easy to collect (WAY easier than Magic, my main CCG). All of those things add up to FFG getting my money for the first time. Good for them. Any company that can pique my interest in the same way will get my dollars.

Edited by Runnestrand

This thread tickles me

And to say that it is done out of "greed" is a little silly. We live in a capitalistic society. People create products to make money to support themselves (

last time i checked, FFG appeared to be doing very well for themselves. why switch it up now?