Elves as Wizards

By Magic Pink, in WFRP House Rules

Is there any reason not to allow High Elf characters to take the apprentice wizard career other then setting peculiarities? I'd like my Elf characters to be able to use magic and until we get the rules for it I see no reason not to let them.

If you disregard what you called "setting peculiarities", then you could definetly just make both the wizard and priest careers availible to High Elves, Wood Elves and Dwarves, following the same rules as for humans.

HOWEVER I think you actually could make a High Elf become a wizard without disregarding the entire warhammer setting:

You could for example make up a special background for the High Elf why he is using magic like a human and not the way High Elves usually do. Some kind of powerful "curse/touch by chaos/previously unknown phenomena" or whatever... effectively making the Elf a "freak" from the other Elves perspective (and perhaps even an outcast or perhaps shunned by other High Elves out of fear that whatever he has will spread to them).

A major life goal of his, might be to find a way to break this curse that not even the high magic at home was able to break. This might even be his motivation and reason why he is adventuring. Later, when eventually the real High Elf magic rules are released... it could even make up a big story thingy how he finally manages to lift the curse somehow. I'd say its alot better than changing the entire setting.

‘Among the Mages of Ulthuan, there are a few who spurn their training at the White Tower.’ – Bel-Hathor the Sage, Tenth Phoenix King of Ulthuan

I'm not talking about changing the setting; I'm nore interested if High Elves are too powerful as wizards or anything rules-specific like that. I'm more then capable of finding a setting-happy reason for them doing it. But your suggestions are really good, thanks!

I just don't like that the most magical race in the game has no way to actually use magic right now.

Magic Pink said:

I just don't like that the most magical race in the game has no way to actually use magic right now.

Yeah, i know what you mean. It's like if none of the melee-oriented careers could be played by Dwarves and none of the ranged-weapon-career could be played by Wood-elves. But I kinda' understand why. Making a whole extra magic rule system for the High elves, with extra spells and what-not is pretty much to add to the base game... it is already quite full of cards/rules as it is...

Actually, it makes sense given the batch of PC backgrounds assumed by the game. A PC elf is a sea elf, one of the elves that goes out into the world on their own or as part of a smallish band. Specifically, he's assumed to be an elf that currently lives in the Empire. For the most part, high elf wizards remain on Ulthuan, or else go out into the world at the head of an expeditionary force.

Remember that while the most powerful wizards, next to the slann, are elves, the vast majority of elves aren't particularly magical. As expansions come out that focus on areas of the world besides Reikland, it will make more sense to flesh out elvish spellcasting.