Save DOOM - Online-Petition for the future support of a great boardgame

By Beckikaze, in Doom

SUPPORT US!!! :)

mandingoman said:

To 'save' the game, FFG would have to pony up some big cash. Since overall interest has dwindled with Doom, FFG decided to start from scratch with the Gears of War in hopes of starting a new buzz with a new base game. There's bigger money in creating a new base game rather than an expansion.

The problem with that logic is that FFG would still be paying for a license from the folks who make Gears of War, which means they'll be in the same boat a year or two after GoW is released.

I don't know what Gears of War will be, but I highly doubt it will be a reimplementation of the Doom engine. Firstly that would repeating past mistakes and secondly, a lot of people would probably lose interest when they realized it was just Doom with new art. In a lot of ways that would be even worse, int erms of profit margins, than just renewing the license with Id.

If FFG was really looking for a way to "save" the game engine without having to renew the license with Id, then they'd take the mechanics from Doom and make a new game with their own IP, so they don't have to license anything from anyone... Oh wait, that's exactly what they did when they made Descent. =P

Steve-O said:

If FFG was really looking for a way to "save" the game engine without having to renew the license with Id, then they'd take the mechanics from Doom and make a new game with their own IP, so they don't have to license anything from anyone... Oh wait, that's exactly what they did when they made Descent. =P

Except that Descent is a Fantasy game. Some people just prefer the Sci-fi Setting. So to truly make a new game with their own IP, it'd be a ship-crawler with the characters from Twilight Imperium ;)

-shnar

Remember how Games Workshop created Talisman, but then FFG took over making Talisman?

Suppose Games Workshop doesn't want to continue Space Hulk, maybe FFG will soon start recreating the Genestealer and Deathwing expansions for the latest Space Hulk? Space Hulk and Doom are very similar.

I *wish*. Space Hulk is the reason I bought Doom in the first place. I love Space Hulk and when I saw the back of the Doom box, it looked close enough I was willing to the $60USD to try it out.

However, SH is a game that uses the GW Minis, so very unlikely to see FFG get to print it. Which is a shame, considering how well it sold when the 3rd Ed came out (picked up 2 copies myself).

-shnar

I also want to sign to the petition!!

Knuckles Eki said:

Suppose Games Workshop doesn't want to continue Space Hulk, maybe FFG will soon start recreating the Genestealer and Deathwing expansions for the latest Space Hulk? Space Hulk and Doom are very similar.

Similar in theme, yes, but not at all in mechanics. Perhaps we were talking about different things earlier.

If all you want is a game with a similar theme to Doom tBG then GoW will almost certainly fulfill that desire. We already know what the theme of GoW is like from the Xbox games, and it's reasonably close (not as dark - in terms of lighting - but pretty dark in terms of violence.)

I was assuming by "save Doom" we meant save the basic game engine, perhaps with a few changes here and there, but still the same base mechanic. Not just "make another game that involves space marines fighting monsters."

Considering GW just released SH 3e, I doubt they have any plans to relinquish that particular title to a third party. The fact that they pumped out Talisman 4e through Black Industries shows they weren't all that confident in a revival of the franchise anyway, but SH is still labeled with GW's primary corporate logo. Perhaps we'd have better luck hoping for FFG to take something like Tyranid Attack, but even then I remain skeptical since it does use official 40k minis.

HH was originally a token game, which apparently gives it more freedom in the deal between GW and FFG. I was a little surprised by that one myself.

shnar said:

HH?

Horus Heresy

Oh, that new, not yet on the market, game?

-shnar

Some people (pre-orders?) already have it.

shnar said:

HH?

Sorry, guess I got carried away with the abbreviations. Yeah I meant Horus Heresy. It may not be on shelves yet, but it is coming soon, so obviously it doesn't count as using "official GW minis" for the purposes of their contract. Even though it's set in the 40K universe in every respect and just happens to have used tokens because it was one of GW's earliest games in the franchise. That's all I was saying on that point. I wasn't really expecting to see any 40K minis coming out of FFG for any reason, even just as peices in this limited board game setting.

Not a big chance to save that title. :/

Who can I contact from FFG to "present" the petition and ask about the possibility of future support for DOOM?

Get 1000 supporters, it won't help. Unless ID suddenly allows FFG to continue for free as much as they want.

I am crying here...

Beckikaze said:

I am crying here...

I can sympathise with your desire to see this game continue. It is a great game mechanically, artistically and thematically. It's a **** shame that legal complications have effectively killed it off.

Instead of fighting an uphill and almost certainly futile battle to get the game back in print, you might be better off turning to the fan community for new material. There are a bunch of pretty cool fan-made scenarios out there, and you could even make your own! There was one project I remember that basically mapped out all the levels from Knee Deep in the Dead as scenarios in Doom TBG. That was pretty cool, and the maps were surprisingly accurate considering.

You might even get into the modeling hobby to make new monsters, if you like. Lost Souls are easy enough with a few random skulls from various miniature game lines. I'm considering the pros and cons of trying to make a spider mastermind fig myself right now. FFG's support of the game may be forcibly idle, but that doesn't mean your gaming experience has to die too. =)

About Spider Mastermind, Tibs made it as a 3x3 piece, which can be avoided by running to a corridor. I reckon it should be a 3x2 piece (similar to Dragons in Descent).

We should compile every scenario we've made and create a compendium out of it. Some of us made new props, new campaigns, new ways to play. If FFG quits, we'll take over, aye?

I would gladly see a compilation of fan made scenarios.

Knuckles Eki said:

About Spider Mastermind, Tibs made it as a 3x3 piece, which can be avoided by running to a corridor. I reckon it should be a 3x2 piece (similar to Dragons in Descent).

Yep, I was looking at pics of his model, as well as reference art from Doom 3 (apparently there was a Spider Mastermind style demon on the drawing board that never got put in the game - and it looks creepy as all get out.) I figure a big wad of Fimo with some wavy lines would cover the bulk of the "brain matter" part of the mini, so it's really just about figuring out how to do the face and legs.

I don't know about making it 3x2. I suppose whatever floats your boat if you're making your own mini, but imho, the SM seems a bit too "evenly rounded" to have an oblong base, if you see what I mean.

Edit: +1 for the idea of a big zip file with all the popular fan-made stuff.

The unfortunate thing about fan made scenarios is it's difficult to tell if the scenario is good or not until you've invested a lot of playtime with your friends. If a compendium is made, I'd love to see it full of the best-of-the-best, i.e. *good* fan made scenarios (even a campaign or two, which is more than one scenario tied together). The beauty of a compendium though would be creating a document that had the same look & feel throughout (as opposed to just a zip file with a bunch of txt+jpgs and letting the reader try to sort them out).

I'd love to tackle this project, but I think I'm currently over-extended :/

-shnar

shnar said:

The unfortunate thing about fan made scenarios is it's difficult to tell if the scenario is good or not until you've invested a lot of playtime with your friends. If a compendium is made, I'd love to see it full of the best-of-the-best, i.e. *good* fan made scenarios (even a campaign or two, which is more than one scenario tied together). The beauty of a compendium though would be creating a document that had the same look & feel throughout (as opposed to just a zip file with a bunch of txt+jpgs and letting the reader try to sort them out).

Well, Tibs' aforementioned camapign with the spider mastermind does sort of fulfill this request. It's about five or six scenarios IIRC, and seems to have received generally positive feedback in terms of playability and balance.

If there are other *decidedly good* scenarios out there (as in, ones the community has played and widely agree on) I am sadly unfamiliar with them. That's really why I'd like a compendium like this. Even if it's just a text file listing scenarios and the URLs to get them from. Whether they're one shots or campaigns I'm sure I'd enjoy them all. =)

Sorry that I'm late to the party, but I've been playing doom for a week now and I was thouroughly surprised to get on these forums and see that it has been discontinued from FFG development for some time now. Considering I bought it new at a local retailer of FFG products, it came as a bit of a shock (What? I paid 60 bucks for a game that has no future for expansion or development?)

The problem for me isn't so much new rules or scenarios... I can make my own mods and scenarios. What bothers me is that there will be no more future expansions that have more miniatures! I love the miniatures that were included in the box set, and am currently scrounging to get a copy of the expansion before they disappear. I am sad that no more miniatures are going to come out now.

It makes me sad to see Doom get discontinued, especially since the sides of my dice have rubbed almost entirely off. It was such a fun game.

Keggy said:

It makes me sad to see Doom get discontinued, especially since the sides of my dice have rubbed almost entirely off. It was such a fun game.

The game might be out of print, but you might still be able to get replacement (engraved) dice to fix that issue. I'd suggest contacting FFG's customer support and see what they say.