Save DOOM - Online-Petition for the future support of a great boardgame

By Beckikaze, in Doom

I think it is all said. It is a great game, FFG does not work on any future expansions for it and the time has finally come to change that. :)

Join the petition, tell your friends about it and lets set a sign!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/sdoombg/petition.html

No offense man, but I think you're a few years too late for something like this. =P

Yeah, Doom is long gone (hence the recent Christmas Sale trying to clear out their warehouses). Only us fans can keep it alive. Love the new levels, and I really want to finish this Advanced Campaign (I'm soooo close). That will breath some nice life into the game :)

-shnar

Though I know it is pointless, I signed it anyway. I just love this game so much.

Better late than never. :D

You are right, the chances are not big, but it is just a last try, so that I can say to myself: "Hey, you tried everything." :)

FFG seems to care more about its customers than a lot of other gaming companies but they are still a for-profit business. I suspect voting with your wallet is the best way to get their attention. I cast my vote during the sale by buying both Doom and the expansion as Christmas gifts for my nephew.

I bought TWO copies of Doom but only one of the expansion (I first bought Doom + Expansion just as backup copies, then after the Expansion sold out, I decided to pick up a second copy of the base game).

-shnar

Being a HUGE fan of DOOM, I also had to sign the petition. I'm very curious about Gears of war, but even if it's cool, it doesn't have the Heritage that DOOM has. I, personally, want to see them pick it up again when/if DOOM 4 surfaces.

Shnar, we're on the edge of our seats about your Campaign system. Talk about a DOOM Ressurrection.... this'll be Awesome!

I agree...

I had never played DOOM before basically because I'm a Descent player, and I thought that DOOM was like Descent's little brother, so why should I bother...?

Then the holiday special came...and with it DOOM arrived to my place (I answered the question mentioned before with a: why not? It's only $20 bucks! and I got the expansion too)... I read the "instruction manual" and I was SO excited...... I mean, I'm not saying that DOOM is better than Descent or viceversa, they're just 2 great games... But I sincerely LOVED DOOM. I've played only once, but it's just great...

So please FFG, I'm sure there are others like me out there....don't deal the killing blow to this game!!

amadou, Doom is Descent's BIG brother. Doom was created first and then Descent used Doom's mechanics (thief!) In any rate, Doom is superior to Descent in every way.

Hehe, that's true actually, but by little brother I was thinking more about the "size, components, expansions, etc" of both games rather than "older" brother, hihi...

However, they're both by Kevin Wilson, aren't they? So it's not stealing, just re-using, hehe... And btw, I just love both games, even though I had to use houserules favoring the heroes/marines, but I think that's just because of how MY group is playing, so I'm not saying that the game is unbalanced or anything like that... Besides, DOOM expansion comes with its own "difficulty levels" so I just had to use those and combine them with some of the "game-mods" also included in the expansion....

So, great job FFG gui%C3%B1o.gif

How may expansions does doom need?

Really they just need to keep it in print. But if they have to pay yearly licensing to keep it in print and it isnt making any profit, then it may just be time to let it go.

Its not like the games you own will spontaneously combust from lack of a dozen expansions. They are still fun and thats all that matters.

Expansions are awesome, and I would love to see more for Doom.

It won't happen, unless there was a way to put one out that could also be used for another game. I have no worth suggestions, but I believe it would be the only way to expand Doom.

They don't really need "expansions" as much as they need more missions. Something like the Quest Compendium for Descent, a book of 10+ more missions would be great!

-shnar

heh Shnar, just pile up every homebrew maps in BGG, and you'll have yourself a compendium. If FFG won't give us anymore scenarios, we can all create our own and trade, give away, have more fun and give feedback to each other so we can improve our new maps even more.

True, but if it's not from an "official" source, 1) a lot of players might consider it dubious (i.e. will it play well, balanced, etc), 2) a lot of players won't know about it and think the game is abandoned. I have no problem with our fan-content and really love it. Maybe we should compile the best of the best fan levels into a fan compendium?

-shnar

Good on you for making this petition (should have thought of this years ago)

Doom needs another expansion just even to use all of the left over content. (Z-Secs, Ticks, Hunters, Bruisers, Grabber, Anachrotron etc)

At least Doom hasn't bogged down like Descent (4 expansions looks nice on the shelf....)

Personally I would like to see a Doom: Road to Legend Expansion (like shnar has been working on).

Hah, more like Road to Hell, Gallagen. There is no legend future for the marines.

shnar said:

True, but if it's not from an "official" source, 1) a lot of players might consider it dubious (i.e. will it play well, balanced, etc), 2) a lot of players won't know about it and think the game is abandoned. I have no problem with our fan-content and really love it. Maybe we should compile the best of the best fan levels into a fan compendium?

-shnar

Yes, that is the way to go. I would do it if I wasn't making a modification for Doom (no, I won't spill any secrets). cool.gif

Does anybody know, what did happen with the online petition? Did it have any result?

Hey.

I am just waiting for more subscribers. But it seems that there aren`t a lot of fans out there to save this game. It`s a shame. sad.gif

I think I read somewhere that FFG's licence with ID, who created the Doom computer game, ran out and this prevents any reprints.

To 'save' the game, FFG would have to pony up some big cash. Since overall interest has dwindled with Doom, FFG decided to start from scratch with the Gears of War in hopes of starting a new buzz with a new base game. There's bigger money in creating a new base game rather than an expansion.

I keep hearing that Gears of Wars is going to be a new "version" of Doom. Where did this rumor come from? Does anyone have any evidence that GoW is going to play even remotely similar to Doom/Descent? Why isn't Gears of Wars just going to be a new game, like most of FFGs games?

-shnar

Shnar,

I believe that was mostly just wishful thinking. As in "Wow, my Gears of War tiles just 'happen' to align correctly with my Doom tiles! Nifty!".

Ya have to say thought that it would be wiked