The hidden encounter number of gold...

By Filippo, in Talisman Rules Questions

... is 5.

Maybe this is obvious, maybe I'm missing something...
But I think it's too much complicated to say you must encounter Events, Enemies and Strangers before gold, like in the Rules Clarifications. It's easier to say: " Even if gold isn't a card, treat it like an Encounter Number 5".

Do you think this wording can work without consequences in the game?

So... What about Cat Burglar's first ability?
How do you usually play her when there are golds in a space?

In the rule book: Resolving Cards Without An Encounter Number Cards that are placed on spaces and do not have an encounter number (such as the Hex Spell) must be resolved before the character encounters any other character, cards, or the instructions on the space itself.

The gold coin technically has no encounter number so it could be played as it would be encountered first; kind of silly though.

We have always played it as something that can be picked up in any order once all cards with encounter numbers(battles, events, enemies, etc.) are resolved and you are deciding which items or things you would like to pack up...

Talisman Revised 4th Edition FAQ and Errata, v1.1

Encounter Sequence
When characters choose to encounter a space, they must
resolve the encounter in the order listed below. If a character
is moved to a different space any time during the encounter,
he continues with a new encounter in the new space. Exception:
If a character is defeated during a battle or psychic
combat and is forced to move to a new space, he cannot
encounter the new space and his turn immediately ends.

1. If the space has instructions to draw cards (see “Encountering
A Space – Draw Cards Spaces” on page 9 in the
main game’s rulebook), the character must follow the
instructions on the space first.
2. Any cards in the space without an encounter number (such
as the Hex Spell) must be encountered.
3. Any Events in the space must be encountered. Note that an
Event that lasts more than one turn remains on the space
as a reminder, and still counts as a card on that space. If
a character encounters the Event again, the effect does not
“reset” and last for additional turns.
4. Any Enemies in the space with an encounter number of
1 must be encountered. If all of the Enemies are killed or
evaded the character continues to the next step, otherwise
his turn ends.
5. Any Enemies in the space with an encounter number of
2 must be encountered. If all of the Enemies are killed or
his turn ends.
6. Any Enemies in the space with an encounter number of
3 must be encountered. If all of the Enemies are killed or
his turn ends.
7. Any Strangers must be visited.
8. Any gold, Followers, and Objects may be taken.
9. Any Places must be visited.
10. If the space does not have instructions to draw cards, the
character must follow the instructions for the space.

Cat Burglar

Special Ability

Whenever you encounter a space with 2 or more cards, you may encounter the cards in any order you wish, instead of the order of their encounter number. If 2 or more Enemies have the same encounter number, they still fight together in the battle or psychic combat as normal.

Answer:

Gold at a space is not a card so it can't be encountered early with the Cat Burglars special ability instead its encountered as normal with when Followers and Objects are Normally Encountered .

Uvatha what you're saying goes against your assertion That gold is not to be treated as an object. If you encounter it at the same time as objects, why wouldn't you be able to freely ditch it?

Uvatha what you're saying goes against your assertion That gold is not to be treated as an object. If you encounter it at the same time as objects, why wouldn't you be able to freely ditch it?

What Uvatha has shown are two rules that are not mutually exclusive from each other, they are separate sentiments.

1) The rules state that Gold is not to be treated as an Object.

2) The FAQ Encounter Sequence shows that Gold is encountered at the same time as Objects and Followers normally are.

To put another way, if I say "I had a hamburger and french fries for lunch" it shows I ate both during the same time frame, but it does not make my hamburger a pile of french fries, nor my french fries a hamburger.

What Uvatha has shown are two rules that are not mutually exclusive from each other, they are separate sentiments.

1) The rules state that Gold is not to be treated as an Object.

2) The FAQ Encounter Sequence shows that Gold is encountered at the same time as Objects and Followers normally are.

To put another way, if I say "I had a hamburger and french fries for lunch" it shows I ate both during the same time frame, but it does not make my hamburger a pile of french fries, nor my french fries a hamburger.

Edited by Uvatha

Why would you assume they cannot be ditched because it says objects and followers but doesn't mention gold? You can't say treat it like an object in one way but not another arbitrarily. It's asinine to say you can't ditch gold it makes no sense.

Why would you assume they cannot be ditched because it says objects and followers but doesn't mention gold? You can't say treat it like an object in one way but not another arbitrarily. It's asinine to say you can't ditch gold it makes no sense.

Who said gold tokens/coins are treated as objects? Gold is not a object.

They (when on spaces) are encountered when other cards like objects and followers (or cards with a encounter number of 5) but this does not mean they are cards, objects or they have a encounter number of 5.

Plus it says that players can ditch followers and objects but because gold clearly says they are not treated as objects why can players ditch them?

They (when on spaces) are encountered when other cards like objects and followers (or cards with a encounter number of 5) but this does not mean they are cards, objects or they have a encounter number of 5.

Exactly.

It's like saying enemies with encounter number 1 should be events in addition to being enemies because they are e.n.1.

Plus it says that players can ditch followers and objects but because gold clearly says they are not treated as objects why can players ditch them?

Gold is left on a space when a character dies. Gold is a tangible thing, it's ot like fate, or strength, it's not cursed, it's not the hag, it can absolutely be ditched, just because they didn't specifically say so in the rules doesn't mean anything, you can get a lot of gold so they give you counters, and additionally they don't want you rolling for every bag of gold when gust of wind gets cast on you etc, it is utterly ridiculous to say you cant drop it.

Gold is left on a space when a character dies. Gold is a tangible thing, it's ot like fate, or strength, it's not cursed, it's not the hag, it can absolutely be ditched, just because they didn't specifically say so in the rules doesn't mean anything, you can get a lot of gold so they give you counters, and additionally they don't want you rolling for every bag of gold when gust of wind gets cast on you etc, it is utterly ridiculous to say you cant drop it.

Can you voluntarily drop strength or craft counters? ;-)

Just because gold is not something, it doesn't mean it is something else. Basic laws of logic send their regards ;)