What The Future Holds >> A Downloadable Preview for WFRP

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

Allavandrel said:

One thing that bothers me about the bestiary theory is that the text doesn't make any references to greenskins. To me this strenghtens the proposal of a Tome of Corruption kind-of-supplement, and it may indirectly suggests that there will be a greenskin sourcebook...

The reference to 'a night that would not end' leads thoughts to the situation in the Empire in IC 2522 during the Storm of Chaos - maybe a scenario is included in the fourth book.

Possibly you're right. Keep in mind, though, that they didn't mention a LOT of other beasts too. I would be surprised if FFG ever puts out a single-beast/monster book given the tie in with cards and components. You're more likely to get a broader swath of coverage in each book, though with something like a dedicated bestiary you might see a lot more content delivered on each included entry.

And to be honest, single-beast/monster stuff doesn't typically sell as well as the blended stuff that more people want and need.

Most likely either beast box or chaos/skaven/vampire counts then another box later for orcs, gobbos, giants, trolls and so on. Makes sense to me to split it up like that.

Allavandrel said:

One thing that bothers me about the bestiary theory is that the text doesn't make any references to greenskins. To me this strenghtens the proposal of a Tome of Corruption kind-of-supplement, and it may indirectly suggests that there will be a greenskin sourcebook...

The reference to 'a night that would not end' leads thoughts to the situation in the Empire in IC 2522 during the Storm of Chaos - maybe a scenario is included in the fourth book.

Also interesting, the introduction teases the alternate Age of Reckoning timeline ("host of ravens").

Given GW's current move away from timelines and advancing meta-plots, I'd find it surprising to see either the Storm of Chaos or Age of Reckoning be represented. Or, in a completely unique move, maybe the last item is a combination campaign/bestiary/story development tool that will allow GMs to run either, or their own version of the end of the world.

Considering I've got a few doomsday scenarios floating around that I'd always thought would be better than the SoC or AoR, that's a pretty appealing idea.

Ferozstein said:

Ravenheart87 said:

Foreword: a Druidess? Will they maybe make a return? Or the rest of the priests?

"Druid" is just another name for a Jade Wizard, according to Realms of Sorcery v2.

True, but in v3 Jade Wizards are called "Elementalists," not "Druids."

The plans for the future are looking really good. I can't wait to see some more preview of whats comming up.

But I have a wish, now I don't know if You all will agre with me but I would like to see a new suplemment every two months. it would be great if FFG would publish a new supplement every two months. That would give us 6 supoplements a year so the game would be so big like her old version.

O and Merry Christmas every one!

ffgfan said:

The plans for the future are looking really good. I can't wait to see some more preview of whats comming up.

But I have a wish, now I don't know if You all will agre with me but I would like to see a new suplemment every two months. it would be great if FFG would publish a new supplement every two months. That would give us 6 supoplements a year so the game would be so big like her old version.

FFG promised 6 supplements for Dark Heresy this year and only delivered 3, sliding the remaining into next year. While they've only promised 4 supps for WFRP next year and I too would love to have more, I'll settle for them being able to deliver the 4 they've shown us.

Paulus Maximus said:

Ferozstein said:

Ravenheart87 said:

Foreword: a Druidess? Will they maybe make a return? Or the rest of the priests?

"Druid" is just another name for a Jade Wizard, according to Realms of Sorcery v2.

True, but in v3 Jade Wizards are called "Elementalists," not "Druids."

They are called druids. But it can be confusing since they are NOT druids of the old faith. on p 99 Realms of Sorcery Qoute: " Within one hundred years of the founding of the Colleges of Magi, sightings of Druids were reported...But though they seemed to fit the description of the legendary Druids of old, these new druids belonged to the Order of Life and were Magisters of the Green wind of magic."

So my take on the whole druid thing, is that they mean the jade college. But on the other hand if they are going back to the basic. That can mean a revival of the whole Old Faith. But I think that would be a too bold a leap.

ffgfan said:

I would be happy with with just one (no - not really but for argument's sake) that would describe what kind of elements there will be. It's quite frustrating to be in complete shadow about what is to come. And I mean this from a fan-material point of view. Currently WFRP is lacking two most distinctive elements: diseases and mutations. I'm positive they'll be there in the future but it's bad move that they aren't here yet. Mostly all other elements are there already if in a minor detail but still they are there. That means that it's easier to come up with new thing along the lines of material that's already given.

As much as I appreciate the downloadable preview.. I get the impression that it was meant to tie us over for awhile. Unfortunately it only raises questions without answering many.

Morteigan said:

I follow your lead on this, getting rid of magic, gm toolkit and bestiary this year would be great news. The basics would be dealt with and they could bring some more goodies on chaos, other species and part of the world :) .

All of these sound great, and reasonable on my reading of the teaser (from my very limited Warhammer knowledge). Bring it on!!

As a soon to be GM with new to rpg players I am keen to see stuff we will use in our initial campaigns - but hope the more experienced folk also get support for advanced careers etc.

I think it wouldbe good to consider what the game needs over the coming year to survive and then work from that.

Given that only one level of advanced wizard/priest/witch hunter is provided, I think the second supplement is going to have to contain some more advanced careers for those paths, along with additional actions etc. A kind of advanced tool kit if you like.

I think the nemesis stuff refers directly to GM rules for creating full NPCs that act rules wise the same way that PCs do (i.e. burning stress/fatigue etc)

The third supplement is certainly magic related, possibly completing the other colleges (which from a strictly game survival point of view is LESS important than giving more advanced wizard careers generally, which is why i think the careers themselves will appear in the second supplement). not sure whether it will contain anything on the extra faiths? The great change could possibly refer to chaos magic being included, a not very cryptical reference to the Changer of the Ways, perhaps?

final supplement is the one that is least clear, but i think from a game survival point of view, mutations and chaos, along with demonology and necromancy are the things the game is well known for and therefore needs to be included in the first year.

It could also include stuff on skaven, BUT as they are already covered in a minor way, the game could survive without it. I'm not sure it could survive getting no rules on demonology or necromancy until next year, possibly one could be delayed, but not both....

Has anyone seen that The gathering Storm is at the printers? maybe we will see it on March/April? Hmm that would be nice.

My favourite game store's webpage lists the campaign available march, 10th.

Products page preview has the GM Kit up on it now.