Large Monsters in RTL

By Chaoticus, in Road to Legend

I have the impression that large monster groups behave kind of stupid in RTL. With my playgroup it happens very often that a large monster is blocked either by its other group member or by small monsters on the map. It is wired when a (supposed) heavy hitter can't attack because a zombie is in the way. This is mostly because the app often calls for engaging a certain hero and that leads to a huge mess in narrow corridors.

I guess it is up to the players to help the non-existent OL out and place monsters smarter right?

maybe it's just me?

The app does tend to lead to having monsters acting dumb, but the app compensates by giving them small boosts, larger numbers and gimping crowd control powers like Blast.

The important thing is to follow the rules when placing monster groups that don't have specific placement.

Master goes first, on the target square, then minions as close to adjacent as you can. You can "adjust" the quest difficulty by placing them intelligently, or not. (so they block each other or not, have line of sight, etc.)

Thanks for the answer. I can understand that an automated OL can never be truly intelligent. Since the app doesn't know the position of the figures it is impossible anyway. I really like RTL and the dump monsters are my only issue.

However I realized that I made one mistake:

Monsters with 'reach' engage in the following way: they move towards their target, but stop as soon as they can attack.

(I took this rule from the Dark Elements expansion and assume it applies for RTL as well.)

I guess my Ettins will hit a little harder next time. :)

Thanks for the answer. I can understand that an automated OL can never be truly intelligent. Since the app doesn't know the position of the figures it is impossible anyway. I really like RTL and the dump monsters are my only issue.

However I realized that I made one mistake:

Monsters with 'reach' engage in the following way: they move towards their target, but stop as soon as they can attack.

(I took this rule from the Dark Elements expansion and assume it applies for RTL as well.)

I guess my Ettins will hit a little harder next time. :)

Not always true in RTL, because some monsters have special activations that need to be engaged with the heroes in the consecutive turns, like Ettins throw, or have a better damage potential if engaged with more heroes, like the sweep attack from giants.

I have the impression that large monster groups behave kind of stupid in RTL. With my playgroup it happens very often that a large monster is blocked either by its other group member or by small monsters on the map. It is wired when a (supposed) heavy hitter can't attack because a zombie is in the way. This is mostly because the app often calls for engaging a certain hero and that leads to a huge mess in narrow corridors.

I guess it is up to the players to help the non-existent OL out and place monsters smarter right?

maybe it's just me?

Totally fine, its part of the game ;)

RTL rules:

DECISION-MAKING

When resolving app instructions, players frequently have multiple

options. When this happens, it is up to the players to decide how to

resolve it within the confines of the provided instructions.

How the decision-making is approached is largely up to the play group.

New players or players looking for a easier experience are free to steer the monsters toward choices that favor the heroes. Players looking for a true test of skill should steer the monsters toward the tactical maneuvers that a skilled overlord would employ.

Also keep in mind that if the monster's action is Engage, it does have to move until it's adjacent or out of MP if you go "by the book" but nothing stops you from stopping short, as per kraisto 's posting of the RTL rules about decision making

Thank you all. It is true that engage means that the monster tries to be adjacent to the target hero, but I kind of like the 'Dark Elements' variant where the Monsters are happy to get within 'Reach'-range. Makes a better challenge.

Thank you all. It is true that engage means that the monster tries to be adjacent to the target hero, but I kind of like the 'Dark Elements' variant where the Monsters are happy to get within 'Reach'-range. Makes a better challenge.

Yep, I always take the better decisions for monsters. Love the challenge.

We ran into something like this, when starting up the campaign. "By the book" each instance of Engage is only one action of movement. You could consider allowing the monsters to 'double-move', especially if nothing else makes sense for them, in order to achieve the Engage. I think we'll do that next time, to avoid two Giant and two Dragons making a weird dance in a crossway as the Giants try to engage while the Dragons try to shoot and retreat :)

We ran into something like this, when starting up the campaign. "By the book" each instance of Engage is only one action of movement. You could consider allowing the monsters to 'double-move', especially if nothing else makes sense for them, in order to achieve the Engage. I think we'll do that next time, to avoid two Giant and two Dragons making a weird dance in a crossway as the Giants try to engage while the Dragons try to shoot and retreat :)

This is why you need circle the options (in the rules). If the first instruction tell to engage, and cannot meet the requeriments for the next actions, like a attack action, you need circle back to the first instruction (or second, third, etc) and try to engage again, until you get two valids choices.

This is why you need circle the options (in the rules). If the first instruction tell to engage, and cannot meet the requeriments for the next actions, like a attack action, you need circle back to the first instruction (or second, third, etc) and try to engage again, until you get two valids choices.

Yes, I know that. But with large monsters there is a risk the corridor is so clumped up that you cannot engage with just one action, and you cannot do anything else either (like attacking or some special action that requires you to be near enough), so you cycle back to engage, which you still cannot do - unless you allow it to double engage (ie. run) without pause.

Yes, I know that. But with large monsters there is a risk the corridor is so clumped up that you cannot engage with just one action, and you cannot do anything else either (like attacking or some special action that requires you to be near enough), so you cycle back to engage, which you still cannot do - unless you allow it to double engage (ie. run) without pause.

Yes, sometimes we can see some weird situations ;)

Happens a lot to me; where a large monster is blocked in corridor and behind another monster and can't do anything but stand there....oh well it is what it is I guess....

Edited by saxon1974

You can do a "double move" if you've determined that it is the only way the monster can "engage"

But, sometimes there is nothing else to do but for it to sit and do nothing.