When are the Elves coming?

By jimjim19681968, in BattleLore

Okay, it took me 9 months to finally paint the Undead army and I've only played them once (and they rocked!), but I really want these elves and any other factions would be so awesome.

Is there any news? I thought it was to be announced soon.

Not a word. I'm generally an optimist, but at this point I have to think this is all we'll ever get for this game. I'd guess FFG has their entire staff dedicated to Star Wars and Game of Thrones IP. I suspect those are major money makers for the company and BattleLore just isn't profitable enough anymore.

I think we will have to wait what will be announced at the gencon. By the way there was a kind of crossed release using same minis in Descent and Battlelore, so maybe that next faction will be the Orcs, a faction that may be more fit to bring ovelord Units to Descent.

if not announced until end of august battle lore is dead.

i just throwed Runebound 3 in the garbage. Runewars dead since release of the only one expansion. descent taken over from darth vader.

Have i ever said that i hate Star Wars ---(was a Star Trek Fan in the 90s, but SW was always "Teddies saved the Galaxy" two times shooting the same death star, laserswords where phasers would be thousend times more effective - what a stupid stupid movie that was. And now it is killing our fanatasy games. one reason more to hate it.

By the way Mage Knight is quite a good game, and not from ffg!

Things have been quiet, but it was like that for about a year if I recall correctly and then we got the Daqan/Uthuk army packs, 3 neutral units and then the Undead in less than a year. Runebound 3rd is barely 1/2 a year old and has a few expansions so I'd hardly say it's dead. Despite Imperial Assault being a big hit, expansions for Descent keep on coming, plus the recent companion app release.

I think they're still supporting the Runebound universe pretty well. They presumably went to some length to get the Battlelore license, still like it enough after modifying it for Battles of Westeros to release Battlelore 2nd, it's been holding a strong 8 rating and hovering around top 100 overall, top 25 war game on BGG so it's well liked... I'm still hopeful for more.

I'd love to see a notable announcement at Gencon about Battlelore, specifics like what's coming, concept art/ideas, etc. But at this point I'd be happy with a general "oh we're not done with Battlelore yet, there's more coming".

What may be a good idea could be to launch an app that will handle a campaign mode with some kind of story line. See the boost it gave to Descent sales. A lot of players enjoy to play against IA in solo or coop mode.

What may be a good idea could be to launch an app that will handle a campaign mode with some kind of story line. See the boost it gave to Descent sales. A lot of players enjoy to play against IA in solo or coop mode.

BattleLore: Command doesn't ring a bell here?

I agree that the lack of information for so much time seems like there will not follow more stuff for BL2. Also looking at the community it doesn't seem extremly alive neither. I would regret it, I quite like the game, and probably I would have bought a next army-expansion. On the other side, it will stay a nice 2player-game also with the stuff we got, and I don't have to waste no more noney in it :rolleyes:

Edited by phalgast

What's with all the doom and gloom? The sense of entitlement gamers seem to have about updates and expansions is getting a bit too much.

When I was a lad games typically didn't come with expansions, and when they did it was a pleasant surprise.. nobody would think of declaring a game is dead because there was no expansion for a few months.

You youngsters with your TiVo, on-demand, instant update, Netflix, Twitter lifestyles need to learn a little patience. Good games take time.

Seriously, BL2 tripled its content last year, descent is doing great and runebound got a new edition and 4 expansions on the way. It's been a fantastic time for terrinoth fans... rejoice.

FFG won't have stopped producing content for these games, you just have to wait.

With the current way releases are being announced you won't hear about elves until a major con (gencon or GAMA)

What's with all the doom and gloom? The sense of entitlement gamers seem to have about updates and expansions is getting a bit too much.

When I was a lad games typically didn't come with expansions, and when they did it was a pleasant surprise.. nobody would think of declaring a game is dead because there was no expansion for a few months.

You youngsters with your TiVo, on-demand, instant update, Netflix, Twitter lifestyles need to learn a little patience. Good games take time.

Seriously, BL2 tripled its content last year, descent is doing great and runebound got a new edition and 4 expansions on the way. It's been a fantastic time for terrinoth fans... rejoice.

FFG won't have stopped producing content for these games, you just have to wait.

With the current way releases are being announced you won't hear about elves until a major con (gencon or GAMA)

Funny like u judge other people without knowing anything about them. so if u played hero quest as it was new, we're from the same generation. if not, don't call me Youngster please :wub:

- This game's basic concept is to run with expansions - just like it's big brothers (tabletops) do. If you critic that people are waiting for expansions, I think u didn't really get the concept... Warhammer wouldn't have had long time fun with 3 armies only (the big balance question is if old armies can compete with the new ones or if it's only a power spiral... but that's another question)

- The reason why I doubt is, with little drops of information u keep a hype alive and u keep the people hungry . So in my opinion they would have "leaked" some Information from time to time. I would do that if I would work in the marketing of FFG. But like I said: if there will be more fodder, I'm happy. If not, the game is ok for as it is now, like don't own so much good 2 player games...

What i'am not really sure is if the tactical options in BL2 are really enough to justify the buy of several armies... but this I will decide if more armies are coming up. In my opinion, the reinforcement packs are way to pricy to buy them for example... I would prefer it if they would run a proper "mercenaries" army and all of it's units could be used in all other fractions (up to 2 units or +1 point or with other restrictions)...

Edited by phalgast

Phalgast,

I get your points, but I get also Mullet's. Basically, youngster or not, it's true that in the modern way of life "have it all, and have it now" is often seen as the only way to go, and often reading something like "hey, we got a 5 months hiatus without any news, the game must be dead" is a reflection of this new "culture".

Is BattleLore dead? I hardly think so, the game is solid, and popular to the point they decided at GenCon we'll have a special BattleLore event, and other dedicated events were organized during the year. It's not something we've seen lately for DiskWars, for example. So, I would not worry about the health of the game.

Will we be seeing Elves coming soon? I'd love to, but I don't think so either. These things take time, and BattleLore had a huge outburst of products last year, and now we're witnessing the same for RuneBound. They are set in the same universe, and possibly interest the same share of the public, or so. Plus in general, this year the Asmodee merge became reality, and this has probably absorbed a lot of time, so, some lines have certainly suffered from this. So, long story short, I think Elves may be coming, but it'll take more time.

I imagine this year's InFlight report will be interesting as usual; if this brings more to BattleLore, all the better; otherwise, I'd not sit desperate for the line being dead until the InFlight report of 2017 (or possibly 2018). As Mullet said, to produce quality, a lot of time is needed, and the game becomes more and more complex as we add factions, so that I suspect adding a 4th army will require a lot more playtesting than just expanding the Uthuk. And if there's a 4th army, it'll be even more difficult

Patience, guys

I think a big part of that decision is also how many of the BL2-stuff they sold... and I really don't have any idea about that.

Aren't there rumours since months that FFG is (was) playtesting elves?

Besides that it would be cool if they would produce a Battlelore 2.1 version with orcs vs elves or something like that, so that they can push BL again with a *new* (to 2.0 compatible) game so that BL 2.0 could also get another boost.

This would make sense since Battlelore is some kind of collectable chess card game.

Not a word. I'm generally an optimist, but at this point I have to think this is all we'll ever get for this game. I'd guess FFG has their entire staff dedicated to Star Wars and More Star Wars. I suspect those are major money makers for the company and BattleLore just isn't profitable enough anymore.

When was the last time you saw an Agot product other than the LCG?

But Battlelore command isn't compatable with the actual game. We want more of a companion app.

But Battlelore command isn't compatable with the actual game. We want more of a companion app.

I see. Dunno. I don't see the media department developing two different apps for the very same game. Then, who knows

1) I think it's ridiculous to say the game is dead just because we haven't had any announcements yet. This isn't a fly-off-the-shelves, top-selling product, so I just don't see it as a top priority ... at the moment. After a little break, I'm sure FFG will decide it's time to try a new army pack or other expansion for BattleLore. The game is solid and fans want an expansion. My impression is that it will be profitable for FFG to make more expansions, but probably not as profitable as other current options.

2) BattleLore: Command was a real treat for the first month or so, but then it became apparent how horribly unbalanced it is. I pulled it back out the other day and only played 3 games before I couldn't handle anymore.

Battlelore command needs an update more than battlelore needs an expansion.

I still can't understand why we got teased with the BattleLore mat last year either.

Hey guys, this is something we put together.....

Don't ya love it ? Isn't it cool ?

You can't have one.

:(

I get what you guys are saying about the new society wanting expansions all the time, but Battlelore was designed to have expansions . Games that rely on customizability like battlelore also need expansions. Now, a game isn't dead when they are done with expansions, after all, I still play Small World a lot, and thats been dead for awhile. But they need to have enough expansions. Small world had like six. Battlelore needs elves, and maybe another expansion (non-army/reinforcement, so like a campaign/terrain pack) before they can call it quits.

I get what you guys are saying about the new society wanting expansions all the time, but Battlelore was designed to have expansions . Games that rely on customizability like battlelore also need expansions. Now, a game isn't dead when they are done with expansions, after all, I still play Small World a lot, and thats been dead for awhile. But they need to have enough expansions. Small world had like six. Battlelore needs elves, and maybe another expansion (non-army/reinforcement, so like a campaign/terrain pack) before they can call it quits.

I totally agree that it would be nice to have more expansions -- especially the Latari Elves! However, have you calculated just how much content is in the core box?

There are 7 scenarios for each faction. That means you have 49 unique boards to play on. You also have 3 pre-built armies for each faction. That's 9 combinations of different armies. So to play each combination of army on each map, you will have to play 441 games! If you start customizing your armies, that customizability is astounding!

Now add that we have 4 army packs plus neutral units. The customizability is insane! And it doesn't stop there because we also have a lore deck to customize.

So I don't believe customizability is the reason we need new expansions. I think it's because people just want new stuff. There's plenty of content with what we have to hold us off for at least another 6 months, if not a year or two. Of course, this does depend on how often you play.

Not to forget that Army Packs come with additional scenarios. At the moment we have 14 scenarios for each faction in the game (correct me if I'm mistaken); this means 3*14^2 posssible combos of scenarios only, i.e. 588 different boards to play on. Even if you play one game / day, it's almost 2 years of fun, and this without considering the fact that by changing the composition of your army, you change the game drastically

And if you buy another copy you get even more options for army building and you can mirror match the factions to get another couple of years out of the game.

I'd love to see FFG take a slightly different approach with a next expansion. Do a big box set for the Elves with a full array of units for them and maybe one new unit for the other three factions (Yes, basically expecting the player to already have some Undead) an alternate Command Deck and some new terrain types like a Keep and maybe Cliffs. Put it all in a nice big box so we can get some extra storage. Then give some new neutral options like Beastmen, Flesh Molders and maybe another large ne of some sort. That would be a great amount of content to hold people over for a long while.

in fact i wonder why they missed some Runewars units. They could do that in a/some pack/s. Undead : vampire Demons : Sorcerer Human : Angel (they are not in runewars, but i would love to have them instead of that behemoth). Neutral : Beastmen, Hellhounds, Warlock. But please AFTER THE ELVES !

BTW : Battlelore Command was just a promotion. they get a penny for the game sold.

Edited by magicrealm