Core Set Books Available as PDFs via DriveThruRPG and RPGNow

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

I'm pleased to announce that the WFRP core set books are available for purchase as PDFs through our PDF partners.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is a new way to experience the popular Warhammer Fantasy setting. It is a grim world, constantly at war. As a hero, you will take up weapon, spell, or prayer and do your best to combat the might of enemies terrifying to behold. As the Game Master, you will make the lands of the Old World real as you craft the story, the people, creatures, and the mysteries the other players will encounter during their adventures.

Now, the four books found in the core set can be downloaded at drivethrurpg.com and rpgnow.com . You can download the Rulebook, Tome of Adventure, Tome of Blessings, and Tome of Mysteries separately, or as a bundle! Although you still need a physical copy of the core set to get the cards, custom dice, and other necessary components, pdf copies of its informative books will provide a quick and handy reference tool.

Keep watching, as more of our fan-favorite RPGs are made available through this exciting new resource!

Great decision (and something I was anticipating). This should give a lot of folks the opportunity to at least research the system before investing/rendering decisions on quality.

I proved earlier this week that once you know the rules, it is entirely possible to play a game with only the dice. We created new characters (not perfect, but serviceable) and played through a few scenes with nothing (no cards, no rulebooks, nothing) but the dice. This quick-play format generated enough interest from everyone at the table that they want to dive into the game properly.

So far, my regular group has been enjoying the system thoroughly; fatigue, refresh, dice, cards - the whole nine yards.

Do these include/incorporate the errata and rules clarifications?

jh

I haven't had a chance to look through them yet as I'm still downloading them gran_risa.gif

However, DTRPG is excellent for notifying you of updates when they are added. And those updates are always free...

One of my favorite aspects of the pdf format.

I have to say, I wasn't expecting this. Well done. Now players can have their own books - no problem.

NezziR said:

I have to say, I wasn't expecting this. Well done. Now players can have their own books - no problem.

I'm with NezziR in this. Great job!

/target ffg

/applaud aplauso.gif

forgive the MMO spiel :P

thank you FFG - the box set isn't available until the new year from amazon UK - this will give me and my fellow GM a chance to get the hang of the system before we run stuff in the new year when my Core set and Adventurers kit are available happy.gif

Thanks a lot for this guys, I'm definitely going to be sending my players to get some of these items.

Unfortunately the last page of the Core Rule Book (the back cover) crashed Adobe Reader 9.2.0 (the latest version). It opens fine in Foxit Reader.

Its a good thing there's nothing useful on the back cover.

R00kie said:

Unfortunately the last page of the Core Rule Book (the back cover) crashed Adobe Reader 9.2.0 (the latest version). It opens fine in Foxit Reader.

Getting the same issue with the Tomb of Adventure and the Tomb of Blessing. I haven't yet download the Tomb of Mysteries but if the issue exists with 3 out of 4 there's a good chance it will exist in the fourth.

For the moment I'll just remember to use Foxit to read them, and not Adobe.

R00kie said:

Thanks for noting that. I'll see what can be done.

Would be see the same format for Adventurer´s toolkit?

ugrosh said:

Would be see the same format for Adventurer´s toolkit?

No books in AT, just cards, token and character sheet, so rest assured, you won't see it in pdf format.

My pdfs are extremly slow. A less detailed version would be nice, i just need the books for reference.

Greetings,

Sky

I agree the pdf's seem very slow, I think it's "layering" or something. Would be nice if they fixed that in an update. I want pdf mostly for searchable document and they run slow for that.

Rob

valvorik said:

I agree the pdf's seem very slow, I think it's "layering" or something. Would be nice if they fixed that in an update. I want pdf mostly for searchable document and they run slow for that.

Rob

They are layerd and unoptimized. Those are printing pdf's and not reading.... If you have foxit pro, adobe pro or nitro you can optimize them. That will halv their size and flatten the pdf's in the process.

I really had a hard time justifying purchasing the pdfs for myself since I already own the Core Set, but once I realized that printing out the Bestiary would be easier than scanning the entries in from the book, I decided that I should at least get the ToA. However, I ended up buying the bundle anyway since I can't seem to resist giving FFG my money. While I don't need it to game with, it is a handier reference when looking up things while posting on the forums. gui%C3%B1o.gif

KjetilKverndokken said:

valvorik said:

Rob

They are layerd and unoptimized. Those are printing pdf's and not reading.... If you have foxit pro, adobe pro or nitro you can optimize them. That will halv their size and flatten the pdf's in the process.

Would it be possible for FFG to provide reading pdfs? I bought the game, bought the pdfs, so it would be nice to have them downloadable at drivetrugh as reading pdfs as well...

Greetings,

Sky

I don't know how helpful this is, but if you're using Acrobat, just do a "Save As" on the .pdf with the same filename, and that will optimize the file for Web Viewing.

Right-click the file and Properties, then go to Acrobat PDF and see if "Fast Web View" says "Yes" in order to verify that it's been done correctly.

Well, i have done this, and despite it does not say its optimized for webview, the pdfs open a lot faster. Thank you :-)

If you have adobe acrobat you must save the .pdf file as a .ps file (it will be very large), than you must open the file with acrobat distiller and distill it.

The only problem I have is that I spent $100 on the box set and then have to shell out more if I want the PDFs? Should at the least be some sort of discount. One game company I buy from frequently includes the PDF at no cost when you buy the hard copy, so maybe I am spoiled.

Has it been announced or not whether the Winds of Magic will be released in pdf?

aristodeimos said:

Has it been announced or not whether the Winds of Magic will be released in pdf?

I believe that it's already out here !

These PDFs have real usability problems that need to be fixed.

As far as I know the crashing problem with the last page of the core books has never been remedied, and The Gathering Storm is almost unusable it is so slow to load and view. Please either make available a low-res web version with the print-res version, or change the encryption so we can save an optimised version ourselves. Currently, I cannot save a smaller version (even through Distiller) because of the encryption. I understand the copyright issues but this is just too inflexible currently.

Having paid for both the printed version and the PDF version, I don't think this is too much to ask. We need a web-res version that is fast to use as well as this interminably slow print-res version (or, if you prefer, make both versions available as different purchase options).

And please fix the crashing problem with the core rulesbooks and allow us to replace the corrupted versions we bought.

Thankyou!