Additional dice and test modifiers

By Soakman, in General Discussion

Question: Are the test modifiers added before or after you take into account "additional dice." In other words, do you add all bonuses and modifiers together, THEN roll an additional die/dice? Or do you add your additional dice to your bonus and then apply the test modifier? For some reason I can't remember how this is done.

Thank you!

Question: Are the test modifiers added before or after you take into account "additional dice." In other words, do you add all bonuses and modifiers together, THEN roll an additional die/dice? Or do you add your additional dice to your bonus and then apply the test modifier? For some reason I can't remember how this is done.

The order is described in the Reference Guide, step by step, under "Tests" heading (page 11).

Wow... thank you. I apparently have been incorrectly adding my test modifiers after adding my bonuses this entire time. I don't know where I got that idea, but that is going to make a huge difference on tests with modifiers for characters who have 1 in any given stat... or sometimes even a 2. :blink:

I'm not sure I understand what difference the order makes. Adding and subtracting are not affected by the order, and it is possible to go below zero when figuring out the number of dice to roll.

It's just that if your final total after all modifiers/bonuses is less than one, you still roll one die.

Are you sure about this? I didn't think this was the case. But I previously have added modifiers at the end so would have never had an issue either way as bonuses are never negative. I was nearly positive you could not go below 1 during any part of your calculation for your roll. I've clearly been confused before on the subject so you could be entirely right. I thought each individual total could never be less than one before modifiers/additional bonuses were added.

I hope you are right because that means I haven't really been doing much wrong after all. I'm going to have to go back through my rulebook to see if I can pick it apart further. I have ideas in my head about what constitutes the rules but could not pinpoint exactly where they came from because it's been so long since I thought I needed to reference anything. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Soakman

The "minimum of 1 dice" applies as the final check after all modifiers (added/subtracted) are applied.