****SPOILERS**** Prison break side quest

By Hockeyabe, in Road to Legend

Hi everyone,

Playing Rise of the Goblins.
I just tried this quest for the second time and still have not seen the whole dungeon. The first time, we were playing incorrectly and placing monster groups when told to place single monsters. This did not end well.

Last night, I played the quest again. I led the escape with only two prisoners as I wanted to tackle the second side quest with good morale and visit Tamalir on my remaining weeks.

I had three monster groups reinforcing near doors, but was exploring elsewhere. Once you enter those doors and defeat the monster group, do they keep reinforcing, or is that only until you see the source and then defeat the group? The master broodwalker was quite a pain. I had a couple ranged attackers, it felt great to take it out, but it came right back at the end of the turn.

I think they do keep reinforcing. I had a group of Goblin Archers by one door and some sorcerers around the middle right. I I defeated the initial group of sorcerers but I think they kept coming back one at a time. I was keeping a handle on both groups and managed to get 3 prisoners before a pair of Trolls were closing on me, followed by Shadow Dragons. I cut my losses at that point and hightailed it out of there.

I definitely want to replay this one a few times. It almost feels like a push your luck quest, just throwing more and more stuff at you until you chicken out, lol. Really fun.

The push your luck idea is exactly what I felt! I opened the north door and killed the goblin archers, never seen again. I opened the west door of that room, and killed the harpys, never seen again. I had worms, flesh moulders, hybrid sentinels, and broodwalkers all spawning at unopened doors, and just wondered if they would stop. Maybe next time we will go South!

You have plenty of fixed reinforces in this quest (3 or more groups). The idea at that you need rush to the objetives or your group will be overwhelming by the monsters. Its a simple quest but the execution is malevolous (in a good way :P )

Edited by kraisto

I played this quest today for the first time with my partner (a newbie to Descent), with us controlling two characters each. It was INTENSE!

We ended up splitting our team and having BM Mordrog and RM Quellan go north to grab some prisoners (fighting against lava beetles, volucrix reavers, changelings, & plague worms), while WL Jain and Disciple Andira tried in vain to hold the southern corridor with THREE spawns (broodwalker, dark priest, chaos beasts) continually advancing towards the secret exit.

We managed to save 4 prisoners before things became quite hairy with the triple spawn! Loving it either way so far :)

I played this quest today, and I was a little annoyed at some of the sudden mechanics. On the whole I would say it is more stressful rather than fun, and that's really not what I needed today.

I had the base game and nothing else, so I was juggling goblin archers and barghests at first. It soon upgraded my threats to flesh moulders and spiders, and then tacked on elementals and merriods for grins. It wasn't too terrible because I had a two party group, and dealing with non-master versions of those wasn't awful, although it was more or less a non-stop quadruple spawn the whole time.

When the "Last Breath" warning showed up I was lucky enough that I was barely 2 turns of solid running away from the door, but I was still angry. If I'd had any idea that there was a time limit on this quest I would've done things differently, and I'm sort of ticked off that after fighting back through a solid corridor of monsters that I had to exit now or lose. I was doing a very good job at keeping my party alive and well, with high morale, and to suddenly be issued a "WIN NOW OR DIE" decree was something I hope other missions avoid.

I was even more ticked off when I managed to lead the party out on the final round... to receive... 4 fame, 0 xp, and about 50 gold. So... ticked would be a good word for that. Feel like perhaps the effort didn't really pay off, and I mostly want to avoid this mission again in the future.

If I do replay this mission, I'll pick a path with fewer dead ends. Going north and then north is just a bad time.

Could someone go ahead and get me a list of sidequests that have hidden timers you can't see? That irks me and I would like to avoid those.

Edited by DeceasedCrab

Could someone go ahead and get me a list of sidequests that have hidden timers you can't see? That irks me and I would like to avoid those.

Bad news, all the quest are time up. The good news is, this "clock" is releated to things you do during the quest. If you kill monsters, do an objetive or open a door, the clock kinds of stop. In other words, you get more turns for doing more things if you go for the objectives and stuff like that.

This is to prevent players for resting, healing and searching, in order to feel a real challenge. Another thing is, this "clock" is shorter in hardmode.

Aside from all of that, "Prision Break" is a very difficult quest, due to the amount of monsters spawning.

Well that's disheartening. Now it means I basically can't play unless I'm prepared to "Gotta go Fast" the whole thing and am in a mental condition where I can deal with stress, instead of a mental condition where I need to relax and recharge. Knowing the timers are there will make it easier, but the whole "invisible clock" thing really limits when I can play this.

Kind of a downer. Morale is timer enough, no? Why even have that? Now I have two timers.

Sometimes this clock says: you loose in X turns, sometimes the perils just get more deadly. For example: there is one which says the heroes have to suffer 4 damage collectively. Next turn 8, next turn 16 etc. This effectively kills your party, but you can choose to ignore that if you really want to.

Regarding the morale counter: without it (or another timer), there would be no way for the heroes to loose and the main quests are different depending on whether the heroes won the previous main quests.