Lucky Charms

By guest313231, in WFRP House Rules

The world of Warhammer is one that is always tettering on the edge of sanity. Looking at their artwork, we always see images that have compelled us to this world, including warriors with scrolls attached to their armour and holding lucky charms of fish and the like.

One thing I've always found is to 'sell' that brand of crazy to non-hardcore players. It's hard to get players to accept the superstition, because we as modern people are not a superstitious bunch. The books are filled with wonderful little superstitions like that.

One thing I really liked about 2nd edition was the idea of trying to get players to buy into those superstitions via items like Incription Scrolls and Lucky Charms that ACTUALLY had a game effect. That was excellent.

So I will be doing a house rule to include things like that.

A poor quality item might add a Fortune and Misforunte dice

A normal 'charm' would add a Fortune dice

A superior charm would add two Fortune dice.

All of these things would be 'attuned' to a god, so a charm of sigmar would help in combat, whereas a charm of Shallya would only help in preventing combat or healing. Each item is a 'one-shot' use so you would have to purchase more.

Although I don't see myself using this, I can see some good things about your idea.

For one, it gives a way to soak up extra cash your players come into. Also, little trinkets and charms and how they are acquired provides some additional roleplaying opportunites. If you think it will help your players with the setting, then go for it.

I would suggest you tone down the power a little (max 1 fortune die for me), but you can easily balance this through whatever pricing guidelines you develop.

I thought this was pretty cool. I always have some old hag selling charms somewhere in my games. I added this house rule for charms based on your idea:

[Rule - Item]

Luck Charms

The Old World is rife with danger. Sometimes a little luck goes a long way. Many old wives make Lucky Charms for a variety of purposes. A few of them even work! Some ward off evil, others stave off sickness. Some, the most common ones, are simple prayers to Ranald, the god of Luck, for guidance and assistance. There are many types of charms and every fish wife has her own method of making them, but most of them have things in common. For example, they are all made of breakable materials. To use one the owner holds it in his hand, says a short prayer to the god of his choice (usually Ranald when one is using a Luck Charm), and breaks the charm.

You may use a Luck Charm as a manoeuvre. Since the charm is broken as part of its use, it may only be used once. If the charm is a real Luck Charm, then its quality determines its bonus.

Poor Quality (1): Add one Fortune die [W] and one Misfortune die to your next roll.
Normal Quality (2): Add one Fortune die [W] to your next roll.
Superior Quality (3): Add two Fortune dice [WW] to your next roll.

Luck Charms are rarely powerful enough to exude any type of magical aura. It is typical that only your Game Master will know if they are real until they are used. It is also possible that the Game Master will random to see of the charm is real at the time of use. When the charm is broken roll:
+1 characteristic die <B> per level of quality (Poor=1, Normal=2, Superior=3)
vs.
1 Misfortune Die

1 or more successes: The Charm is real
1 Boon: The charm is one greater quality than stated (up to superior)
1 Bane: The charm is one less quality than stated (if the stated quality is poor, the charm is useless)
1 Bane and no Successes: The charm adds 1 misfortune die instead (cursed charm)

[Rule]

At NezWorld, we don't make a lot of the ideas you use; we make a lot of the ideas you use better. . .

Between the two of you I think I will add the random charm. Probably just enough to make my players spend a lot of silver on worthless junk; chase down red-herrings. Generally make them just barely common, and useful enough, to really be a pain in their collective rumps.

Thanks!

Heck add a secret roll of <P><P>

If you get two Chaos stars the Lucky charm is actually aligned with Chaos...evil effect as desired.

I think this seems a little too powerful for just "charms". IMHO, these seem to be more in line with an actual "magical" item or masterwork items. I have recently been working on something similar along these lines, but a lot more scaled down. Initially, my idea was for different grades of equipment to purchase. The beauty of the "Dice Pool" system makes this pretty easy to build new gear.

Using a simple d6 or a blank d6 with one side filled in (what I use):

6 or 1 pip - a minor or good quality item (x5 base price)

5,6 or 2 pips - a superior item (x10 base price)

1 Fortune dice - a masterwork item (x25 base price)

note: you could also add "misfortune" to these as well (say a 1 on a d6 or a negative pip)

I'm toying with the idea of adding a Fokelore roll into this somewhere.

The idea is that these charms, talismans, purity seals, etc do not have any actual power. Instead, they only give a psychological bonus. You've got the tooth of a Beastman and EVERYBODY knows that the tooth of a Beastman gives you power over them. But that doesn't work for an orc (duh), except in Ostland of course.

The idea is that you've convinced yourself that it works or it doesn't. So you make a Fokelore roll to try to bring up an obscure reference why it does work. If they fail, then they realize (after they've purchase it) that it's worthless piece of junk. If they succeed: they will get some sort of bonus. Fortune dice for sure.

Also; von Clausewitz - A single one-shot Fortune dice is not going to break the bank. It's a 50% chance of getting absolutely nothing. However, as a thought, maybe I wouldn't let the player use this on any challenge that they already had a Fortune dice on already. Basically if you're hoping for a Lucky Charm to work...you're really scraping at the bottom of the luck barrel.

You know, until i read your response, i didn't notice that these were "One-Shot" items. *checks prescription on glasses*

I really like the idea of the folklore check. It really gives the "Dark and Gritty" aspect of this game some actual tangible feel. Especially when you hand that die to your player and smile deviously. demonio.gif

I like the idea of the tooth. It makes me think 'talisman' more than 'charm' though. Perhaps talismans could have some longer term or permanent effect - maybe be an actual item instead of a one-shot. Working a 'Folklore' test in there somewhere is even better.

Gogo-Brainstorm!