Vykes' Shipwright

By Vykes, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

4 hours ago, HoundsTooth said:

Bloody 'ell Vykes! Those squadrons are stunningly beautiful. Your Armada ships and squadrons are works of art!

Try a 'whiteboard' marker for the cardboard edges. You can be as rough and clumsy as you like as the ink will rub off of the printed sides and only stay on the bare card. I've been using them for ages, much quicker than trying to be all neat and tidy with a pen or a brush.

I actually figured this out for myself after the first one :-D Luckily I have a bottle of acetone on hand so that fixed it right up, but Whiteboard markers are definitely the way to go, good shout.

I'm pretty certain I totally nicked the idea off of someone on here! ;) :lol:

Possibly me. As a teacher, I always have whiteboard markers lying around the house, but I think I also nicked the idea from someone else here who used something called a 'sharpie'. I think that's an Americanism.

Lovely ships, as always ;)

On 1/12/2017 at 5:35 PM, Vykes said:

That should be pretty good to see, mate. It depends on the contrast and tone of course. -nods- Ooo, a campaign fleet, can't wait to see what that'd be too... VT's, they is good.

As for me, thanks to a seeeeeriously awesome mate, I got my grubby claws on a Pelta! The lights aren't done yet, but the rest looks right good. Still thinking of a good name . 'Tis the Gorgon !

Peltas_zpsingqdtcq.jpg

This... I love the weathered/been out on deployment a long time look.

16473607_1380410922022796_62840894088139

After a long patrol the first stop at the star base should be the ship wash... LOL

The amount of pass by compliments I got for my fleet painted by @Vykes was amazing...Everyone loved it. Some even took pictures, so thanks again Chris!

2 hours ago, Mogrok said:

The amount of pass by compliments I got for my fleet painted by @Vykes was amazing...Everyone loved it. Some even took pictures, so thanks again Chris!

The red stripe fleet?

7 hours ago, Darthain said:

The red stripe fleet?

Yep!

'Twas a scarily quick painted fleet too, but still amazed and glad it got some recognition! Good on ya for doin' it proud, mate! Reeep-resentin', yeah!

Ship stuff... well I'd actually have posted a lot more but a lot of it is very similar so I got in a bit of a slump (5 ISD that look very similar do tend to just look like ISD's) but there's a few interesting points of note. Most notably some E-wings channeling the powers of Herby, and a rather familiar corvette.

Herby%20wing_zpsso4sz3ub.jpg

Sundered%20Heart_zps7qvfdiw3.jpg

other than that, I've been working with some of the old evil corporation's seditious offerings

dread%202_zpssxdx5p4z.jpg

Baneblade%201_zps1cttus3r.jpg

Fists%20sergeant_zpso3izclir.jpg

Yeaaaaah....

But there should be some more Armada stuff coming sooon, both in the shape of new stuff (whenever that arrives) and some reb and imperial stuff. Scarily, I got another Pelta not long after the first and it's still not quite done.

Ok, I just can't see how is it humanly possible to paint such small details on an E-Wing... Are you a robot or something? Impossible I say...

Has anyone seen or heard from @Vykes ? Noticed that he's kind of dropped off here...

Does anyone have an archive, or some saved photos, of Vykes' work? Asking before the forums go down.....

Sadly, I don't think anyone does. His photobucket stopped working a while ago.

What a shame! His work was incredibly inspiring and he always answered questions about techniques patiently and completely. So sad.What a shame! His work was incredibly inspiring and he always answered questions about techniques patiently and completely. So sad.

wherever you are, Vykes, kindest of souls, readiest of helpers, I truly hope you are fine.