[WFRP 3 Fan Adventure] - False Pretenses - available for download (PICTURES!!!)

By Emirikol, in WFRP Gamemasters

I have finally completed the WFRP3 scenario, "False Pretenses." Please give feedback. I'm planning on running it at GENGHIS CON in February here in Denver, CO USA. If any of you are planning on playing it there, please stay out :)

You can download it here: gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/emirikol7/

Thanks,

Jay Hafner

It seems pretty good, a few points:

Page 1:

Instead of "The standing stones in the village of Schlaghügel were originally created by the high elves of old to travel to the new world lands (now Naggaroth)." I would say, "The Mad Elven Mage known Tasirion once used the standing stones of the village of Schlaghügel to travel to the new world lands (now Naggaroth)." as per the novel Giant Slayer.

Page 11:

The Action Cards you have assigned the Lash Worm are not actions, they are just special rules. The correct format would just be "Mindless: Immune to mind effects", however, looking at Skeletons, it looks like the rules do not apply a Mindless style condition. So I think it would be more in keeping with the rules to scrap all three special rules and just up their Defence by 1, their Int and Fel by 1 and their WP by 3. I also would make they Conservative rather than Reckless, they spend their life lying in wait. You may also want to decreate their wounds so they have the same (or less) than Snotlings (5).

Page 12:

"dragon-eel skin cloaks" what is a Dragon-eel?

jadrax said:

"dragon-eel skin cloaks" what is a Dragon-eel?

Sea dragon cloaks as a guess, the more accurate term could be dragon eel, something i really should know having played a druchii army in wfb for 17 years will check and see

Cool. Thanks for the content suggestions Jadrax. I'll add them to a later update :)

Jay

I'd also like some specific feedback from any of you (if you like):

1. This will be run at Genghis Con 2010 in February here in Denver, CO. I need ideas for 5-7 PREGEN characters. Any thoughts on the best mix of careers and races?

2. Should I do pictures of each of the NPC's? One of the things that I liked about SPIRES OF ALTDORF and the paths of the damned series were the NPC pix. It only take second, but I don't want things too cluttered

3. I didn't number the town map and left it small.Should it be big and numbered?

4. Any thoughts on whether an elf would be any fun to play in this town of people who hate elves?

5. I don't expect to get my boxed set for a while (TFAW.COM say's it's on back-order), so I only did up the most basic of rules options. I'll add some later. If you guys see anything that would help the GM to have in there, please let me know.

6. I made the wood elves more xenophobic than the pansy D&D/LotR-style wood elves. Will this be too much of a turn-off for people who dream of faeries and unicorns?

Career list: Core: Agent, Agitator, Apprentice Wizard, Barber-Surgeon, Boatman, Burgher, Coachman, Commoner, Dilettante, Envoy, Gambler, Hunter, Initiate, Mercenary, Messenger, Roadwarden, Scout, Soldier, Student, Thief, Thug, Troll Slayer, Watchman, Waywatcher, and Zealot· Adventurer’s Toolkit: Bailiff, Bounty Hunter, Dockhand, Ironbreaker, Pit Fighter, Ratcatcher, Scribe, Smuggler, Sword Master, and Wardancer

Races: Reiklander, Nordlander (etc.), elf (Athel Loren wood), elf (Laurelorn wood elf), high elf, dwarf, halfling

Thanks,

Jh

Additional web-enhancement: Alternate Plot sent to me by Dylan Owen

How about this as a slightly alternative plot twist – the magic stone circle transporter within the mound (later built by the Jutones as a burial place for one of their chieftains) activates after centuries of neglect because the stars are in the correct alignment. The magic does not quite work as it should, and all the inhabitants in the village that now surrounds the mound are suddenly trapped in time and space. 3-5 years later (depending on the timeline) they are released from this ‘bubble’ due to the power of the stones again malfunctioning. However, the dark elf cannot be in the vicinity when this happens (he cannot be among the wood elves). So instead: the other circle in Naggaroth also activates, and a dark elf scout sneaks through. She needs to get back to Naggaroth, but the stone circle is ‘malfunctioning’. She hides near the village, trying to work out how to get the ‘transporter’ working so she can return home. She explores the surrounding area at night, looking for clues. Perhaps there is a magic orb missing from one of the circle’s stones… perhaps a tomb robber has this stone, who robbed the mound a few years ago. The elf learns this by kidnapping and torturing one of the villagers when they inexplicably return (this is perhaps the reason why she has taken the priestess).
Chapter 1 – Schlaghügel -
The PCs are hired by Dankmar to protect him when he goes to the village to collect 3 years back taxes. Dankmar hires the PCs because he fears that things will get violent. The villagers are terrified and think that their village has been ensorcelled. Perhaps the PCs arrive just as the frightened villagers are dunking an innocent old woman in the village pond suspecting that she is the witch. Do they save her? When Dankmar demands the money, the enraged peasants, who think that he is trying to con them, attack him – Dankmar orders the PCs to deal with the peasants ruthlessly – they have a moral choice: do as they’re told and kill some innocent peasants, or side with the mob? Dankmar should give the PCs such unreasonable orders, and be such a vile character towards them, that they should (unless they are complete bastards) turn against Dankmar. Dankmar flees. The PCs earn the respect of the villagers. 3-Act Social Encounter: Dealing with the villagers & Dankmar. Whatever happens, the dark elf (spying on the village) now knows of the PCs’ existence.
Chapter 2 – The ‘Priestess’ & the Tomb Robber
When the PCs come to the village, the dark elf intends on using them to track down the tomb robber. Disguised as the priestess (thus the dark elf must be a female…) she secretly approaches the PCs and tries to get them to track down the tomb robber and recover the orb, lying to them that the missing orb is the reason why the villagers disappeared, and that it may happen again (well, this is half true). The dark elf cannot track down the tomb robber, as she will be easily spotted as an elf if she ventures among humans in daylight. When the PCs meet her, she seems otherworldy, but they put this down to the fact that she is a priestess of Rhya (a weird, otherworldy religion in the eyes of most Empire folk). This might take the PCs back to Hargendorf to find the tomb robber.
3-Act Social Encounter: Finding the tomb robber & getting info from him.
Chapter 3 – Recovering the Orb
The PCs might force him to help them steal the orb back from whoever bought the orb from him (it would be ironic if this was Dankmar…) . 3-Act Action Encounter: Stealing the orb Once they have the orb, they meet up with the disguised dark elf again, finding her in the woods at a prearranged meeting spot. She uses the orb to return to Naggaroth. Her superiors order her to lead a small party of dark elves back through the ‘gate’ to kidnap peasants for sacrifices.
Chapter 4 – Mysterious Disappearances
Thinking they have saved the villagers from further time glitches, the PCs have, unbeknownst to them, damned the villagers to be gradually taken as slaves by the dark elf ****** team. The PCs return to Hargendorf. A few days later, the village elder seeks them out. She needs them to defend the village from mysterious disappearances that have begun to occur since they left. The first to disappear was the priestess of Rhya, before their arrival. This should confuse the PCs as they met her AFTER the villagers claimed she disappeared. If they go to the area where they met her to hand over the orb, skilled trackers may find the cave in the woods where the dark elf tortured the priestess. 3-Act Investigative Encounter: Finding the Priestess’s body. Her murdered body lies there. Perhaps the PCs are at first accused of murdering her by the villagers? However, the priestess has left clues scratched on the wall of the cave that her captor was an elf. Now the villagers are convinced that it is wood elves that are stealing their folk (and responsible for the ‘aging’ curse on their village – it fits in well with human legends of wood elf magic). They will pay the PCs well to rescue the captives. If a wood elf is in the party, he will be affronted that the local elves are behaving in this manner. It is unheard of!
Chapter 5 – Into Elf Territory
Of course, the PCs don’t stand a chance once they trespass. Have them attacked by the forest coming to life (dryads, sprites treekin, etc). 3-Act Action Encounter: Fighting the Forest They will be overwhelmed and captured. The wood elves will want to know why the PCs trespassed before they kill the intruders. The PCs will need to use all their social skills to persuade the elves that their cause is just. The wood elf leader, after interrogating the PCs, decides to help them solve the mystery, if only to get the humans off their backs. Wood elves scour the village for clues (the villagers all hide inside, terrified of the elves). Their scouts discover dark elf tracks. The wood elves say that dark elves have not been in these parts since the time of the War of the Beard. They hate these traitors, for their ancestors fought against them when they were loyal to Ulthuan.
Chapter 6 – Finale. The Mound
The wood elves and the PCs discover that the dark elves are emerging from the mound. They set up an ambush to capture the intruders. The PCs can also explore the mound (the locals persuade them not to, for they believe that they will bring a great curse on the village if the mound is disturbed). 3-Act Action Encounter: The Ambush A big fight ensues between dark elves, PCs and wood elves. Perhaps the dark elf scout who they met earlier in the adventure turns the tables and captures the wood elf leader, holding a knife to his throat as she attempts to flee back into the mound to get to Naggaroth. The PCs must kill all the dark elves, rescue the wood elf leader, and somehow close the gate so the dark elves can never use it again (though if they do try to topple the stone circle they WILL get cursed – ancient protective high elf magic wards against the circle’s destruction). As usual in Warhammer, the PCs will come out worse. However, they have caused peace between the wood elves and villagers, and thwarted the plans of the dark elves.
END Alternate Plot.

Emirikol said:

I have finally completed the WFRP3 scenario, "False Pretenses." Please give feedback. I'm planning on running it at GENGHIS CON in February here in Denver, CO USA. If any of you are planning on playing it there, please stay out :)

You can download it here: gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/emirikol7/

Thanks,

Jay Hafner

thanks a lot, you`re a real champ.

loved the artwork. especially the shrine. I don`t have time to read it now, but I look forward to do so.

cuddos keep up the good work

Addendum to HOOKS:

Party Sheets From Adventurers Toolkit:

ªª Diplomatic Entourage - "Dangerous events are threatening stability between the Nordlanders and wood elves of the Laurelorn. You have arrived in Hargendorf to quell the dispute."

ªª Oathbound - "Your duty takes you to Hargendorf, a remote port in the north of the Empire."

ªª Glory Hounds - "How did you end up in Hargendorf? There's no one there to see the display of your talents. You'll just have to make the best of it."

ªª Defiant Scoundrels - "A noble in Hargendorf keeps strict tabs on his subjects. You've just arrived to do something about that!"

I'm running this as the second adventure for the group. I'll be using a witch elf and the web alternatives idea.

I think this is a good solid adventure, thanks for sharing it.

im loving this! very solid! ill be running it next week tuesday...ill let you know how it turns out!

As far as pregens go, lots of humans, maybe a elf or 2 and a dwarf if you really feel like it. And def throw in some good social characters in with this one.

Anybody play it yet? Playtest reports are welcome. I've got to run it at a convention :)

jh

I have only GMed the first part yet.

meaning they accepted the quest and vent to to the village and started nosying around. So I quess my review is very limited. But here is a few things that struck me (constructive critisim).

1) payment, was waaay to much for a starting party. 9G per adventurer is too much. My players where eyeballing the money, and thought of skipping town with the treasure they allready got. its almost 5 months pay for a mercenary. Thankfully their greed got their better part.

2) I had a hard time finding out exactly how much they would earn for completing the job. I might be dumb, but why not add a GM note on how much it is and let the players just think for themselv, decrypting the handout contract as they see fit.

Than the good part...my players really enjoyed the idea of investigating this village, and conjured up a whole bunch of ideas about the villagers. Playing on the suspicion and eerie mood they created, I inserted a couple of additinonal combat encounters. SO by the time they reached the village, they where injured and really frightened and vulnerable... and the sun was about to set. end at that point we ended the session.

The other reason I did this, was that they are "a gang of thugs" and have nothing good in store for the village. the hazardous journey to the village have dampened their bloodlust, and force them to seek help among the villagers.

I think False Pretenses make an excellent demo-adventure, in fact I am thinking of using this module as a demo-adventure for several groups.

Keep up the good work. I will post a better review once I GMed the whole thing, sometimes arround early january.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the money was way too high. I didn't have the core set when I wrote it, so all I had for a frame was WFRP2, which was way richer than wfrp3. I'll work on the other issue too with the final expected amount. It's probably pretty low as the villagers are broke..this year..but next year...oh..next year "says Dankmar...I'll be back and getting what you lazy villagers owe!"

I'd really like to hear more about the combat encounters you inserted and the party make-up.

Fixes:

Contract amount: I would use the amount for a mercenary for a week's work as the advance.

Total possible (if they bleed the village dry): total amount should be 97 SILVER coins.

;)

jh

Keep up the good work. This is a solid effort and you should be commended for your work. The mark of a good system is fuelled by its fanbase and a place to put custom adventures from the fans I find is crucial.

Again kudos. I plan on also posting my adventures as well!

Can anyone tell me how I can actually download this great sounding adventure. I just keep ending up with a blurry GIF file! uh...

Foxxy:

Here's the direct link: d/53070-6/WFRP3+-+False+Pretenses+-+Scenario.pdf

Normally you will scroll down to: "download document in original format" and click on that.

jh

Emirikol said:

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the money was way too high. I didn't have the core set when I wrote it, so all I had for a frame was WFRP2, which was way richer than wfrp3. I'll work on the other issue too with the final expected amount. It's probably pretty low as the villagers are broke..this year..but next year...oh..next year "says Dankmar...I'll be back and getting what you lazy villagers owe!"

I'd really like to hear more about the combat encounters you inserted and the party make-up.

Fixes:

Contract amount: I would use the amount for a mercenary for a week's work as the advance.

Total possible (if they bleed the village dry): total amount should be 97 SILVER coins.

;)

jh

Rikard : the GM
Jarle: human hunter (specialized in long bow)
Stix: wood-elf way watcher? (specialized in longbow)
Boennis: human thug (specialized in two weapon fighting)

Since it was a demo and half the group where missing, we just draw randomly and made what we call test PCs.

I didn`t put much effort into the combat encounters, if was primarily for testing combat. the first encounter appeared when the party met the tipped ferryboat. The poor man was clinging on to it as a group of goblins where picking turns to shoot at him with short bows, their leader was a bored orc (who didn`t have missile weapons). The party took them by surprise since they where skilled outdoorsmen, and sniped down several of the goblins before they even knew what was hitting them.

after that they rescued the ferryman, -failed to interview him about the village, -and went merrily on.

next encounter where two wild-boars, frothing and mad of fear from somthing, which put the party on the toes. In fact the combat with the wild-boars where much more of a challenge since they had no time to shoot them from distance, it was melee from the first moment as the boars came racing through the bushes. After a though fight, the party now started to be really worried of what could possible have scared the boars into suicidal fight? This sat a eerie mood for the rest of the trip to Schlaghügel. (I thought maybe the boars have been scared by the crypt-ghouls or even wounded by one of them. But really, it was for show.)

we ended that late session when the party finally arrieved at the village, first thing they see is the smoldering pyre, as the sun is setting. Bahaha

About the money good idea, I will change it into a weeks salary for a mercanery.

I am looking forward to continue on this story, somewhere in early january. Propably with a new party and all.

Cheers. happy.gif

Beautiful Mal. That's a cool idea that the goblins are plunking away at the ferryboat guy. That's good capricious goblinry! I got a laugh when you said that they didn't interview the ferryman. That's how my group would play it too!

jh

Whoa! I am totally envious of that setup! Gorgeous table.

Curious though how often you alter the setting?

For this scenario I needed this setting:

1. Tavern (indoors). I use a printout.

2. River

3. The village (pretty much locations anyways: graveyard, forest, charred remains, hanged man, fish house, provisioner, smithy, etc.)

Otherwise I tailor on the spot. I've got lots of fence, buildings, shrubberies!!!, trees, ...IT'S NICE TO NOT HAVE AN UGLY BATTLEMAT OUT THERE NOW :)

I also just bought another couple buildings today: CONFLIX and PEGASUS hobbies both make them. They're a lot prettier than my old Cardboard ones from D&D.

jh

Love that setup! Your players are lucky indeed. :)

Jay,

I'll be at Genghis Friday and Sat. I'll try to track you down. :)

//H

Cool Harley. See you there. If you're playing, don't read it. :) If you do read it, PLAY IT ANYWAYS :)

jh