Creating characters, how do you do it?

By Blustar, in WFRP Gamemasters

The main problem I see it that if you buy 2 action cards per player (during chargen)how long will it take for this process to play out? Take for instance a Dwarf Mercenary PC, he would need to choose from 60 action cards and pick 2. Not knowing all the parameters in and out, it just seems an awful lot to digest for beginning players. How are you guys going to get around this during character creation?

I was thinking of asking them wether they wanted a melee, ranged, advanced, support, or social-support action and then drawing 3 at random from each category. ( I would let them have all 4 advanced actions, you can take these cards at character creation if they have the req's right?) Then make sure they qualify for the cards, if they don't they can draw again and return the card. They then pick from this much smaller pool.

Anyone else concerned about the amount of options in Chargen for first time players?

We've never really had any bother. Players just tend to look through the pile of cards they're most interested in, grab two or three they fancy just from the name, and then pass the deck along. Then they take the time to read the chosen ones carefully before making a final decision. I guess it means that there might be better cards for them in the deck that they would have chosen given time to study, but everyone's been pleased enough with their characters so far.

My group just did it Monkey's way. I had my cards separated into types (Spells, Blessings, Melee, Ranged, Support). People looked through the decks they fancied.

How do you handle if some of your players want the same talents/actions? WIth the cards actually being part of the interface, having to "exhaust them and putting tokens on them", if players start overlapping on skill and talents I can see it getting messy.

I think we're going to need a card creator from the fan community because I can't see having to buy a new box set pr toolkit every time the cards overlap

They really should have given us multiple copies of all talents/actions like they did for the basic action cards...

I plan to encourage my players to make sure they pick different things to give the group more assets, especially since Talents can be socketed to the Party Sheet and shared that way as well. No need to double up on things when there's plenty of other things to choose from. If two players end up wanting the same Talent and can't be talked out of it, I'll make a copy; however, I think there is enough variety that this is unlikely to happen. This may be harder to deal with as characters advance and the need for copies might become more common later in the campaign, but I really don't see it being an issue for starting characters.

As for the Adventurer's Toolkit, it is my understanding that only the Basic Action cards are duplicated from the Core Set and the rest of the Action and Talent cards are new.

Blustar said:

Anyone else concerned about the amount of options in Chargen for first time players?

It can be daunting. I know my players looked at the stack of cards and said "Really? I have to look throught all those?" But I placed them into piles of social, combat, spells, blessings, etc. It really only took about 30 minutes for the players to choose cards, which was the longest part of the character generation.