Glorious New Era

By RoK 98, in The Force Awakens Beginner Game

I do not own any of the Roleplaying Games from Fantasy Flight Games.

The unique quirk of my programming makes me want to be absorbed into one specific setting. I have chosen that setting to be Resistance VS First Order.

Already I have started by purchasing the Force Awakens X-Wing Miniatures Game Starter Set. Soon I will expand upon that. Both Resistance and First Order.

I'm not going to start collecting Armada until capital ships turn up from the Sequel Trilogy. I understand I could have to wait a few years. Means I can complete my X-Wing Miniatures Game collection and save up for future buying.

Same goes for the Sequel Trilogy version of Imperial Assault.

With the Force Awakens Beginners Box, I hope this will be the start of Supplement books covering the planets, aliens, vehicles and soldiers of the Sequel Trilogy. I've read your other topics and agree that makes more sense than a fourth rulebook.

But for my personal Player Character, I think I'll get Edge of the Empire:

I'm IG-86 Assassin Droid who has bore witness to the Republic, Empire, New Republic and First Order. I've seen the corruption of senators, the tyranny of an Emperor; and I've bore witness to the the same happening again. This cannot be allowed to continue!

As I walk around the wreckage on Jakku, I come to one inescapable conclusion. For the peace of every droid and fleshling in the galaxy, all politicians and dictators must be removed from power. If they refuse, they die.

I'll be back

Edited by RoK 98

Hate to shatter your hopes, but it's been confirmed by Sam Stewart (lead developer of the RPG line) that there's no intention to do a fourth product line of Star Wars RPG books, and that this Beginner Box is a stand-alone product rather than a lead-in to a new core rulebook.

The fact that Sam could say this outright when FFG staff response to questions about future products is typically "I can't answer that" is rather telling.

Hate to shatter your hopes, but it's been confirmed by Sam Stewart (lead developer of the RPG line) that there's no intention to do a fourth product line of Star Wars RPG books, and that this Beginner Box is a stand-alone product rather than a lead-in to a new core rulebook.

The fact that Sam could say this outright when FFG staff response to questions about future products is typically "I can't answer that" is rather telling.

Before posting a topic on this I read the other topics. To quote myself from my post:

"I hope this will be the start of supplement books covering the planets, aliens, vehicles and soldiers of the Sequel Trilogy. I've read your other topics and agree that makes more sense than a fourth rulebook."

So the only hope shattered is the hope that my post would be read properly and replies would be reactions to a) my response to this news and b) my plans for making this release my own by putting my own character into the adventure

YET.

You never know what's going to turn up next.

I wonder if this is an indicator that if this sells enough it might inspire them to make Beginner Box Sets of subsequent movies such as Rogue One for example.

Would you like a Beginner Box Set based around that movie?

YET.

I wonder if this is an indicator that if this sells enough it might inspire them to make Beginner Box Sets of subsequent movies such as Rogue One for example.

YET.

No

But for no other reason than I'm wanting to roleplay during post RotJ time. Though if there was a movie set between RotJ and TFA then my answer would be more along the lines of: " yeah of course! I want it now! Gimme Gimme Gimme!"

I'd like to have a campaign of intrigue set in the Hosnian System :)

Ooooh, I didnt think about that. A definitive answer instead of the usual vague no comment is a very strong point.

The existing Core Books already give you 99% of the crunch you'd need to play in the new movie era.

The fluff doesn't really seem to be that different either, just needs a few name changes and you're done.

No reason you can't play in the current movie era if you want to.

Edited by Maelora

The existing Core Books already give you 99% of the crunch you'd need to play in the new movie era.

The fluff doesn't really seem to be that different either, just needs a few names changes and you're done.

No reason you can't play in the current movie era if you want to.

Indeed

My personal choice is Edge of the Empire. Though there's already whispers of having a character becoming a Knight of Ren. But there's no reason not to just house rule any Force abilities not already provided. Without the burden of Morality mechanics.

My personal choice is Edge of the Empire. Though there's already whispers of having a character becoming a Knight of Ren. But there's no reason not to just house rule any Force abilities not already provided. Without the burden of Morality mechanics.

None of the specs or classes tie you to any given order, so you can be whatever you like or even self-taught. Jedi, Sith or Knights of Whatever is just fluff now.

And you can use the Morality mechanics if you wish - Dark Side is a perfectly viable option in this game.

Or don't use 'em - I don't and the game still plays fine without them.

Edited by Maelora

TFA introduced a few new races, equipment items, and starships. Should I hope that this (or a future FA) product will give me official stats on using these things and playing as new characters? I'd like to try being a Tarsunt, because they look cool.

They could do like what they've been doing with TCW stuff. They intersperse it in other material where it's most appropriate.

They could do like what they've been doing with TCW stuff. They intersperse it in other material where it's most appropriate.

Problem there is the bulk of the new material for the TFA era is stuff that takes place long after the Galactic Civil War largely wraps up, so adding it to sourcebooks that are focused on the Galactic Civil War would be out of place, given the books make no allusion to the eventual Battle of Endor, which is pretty much the major turning point in the war that all but seals the deal for the Alliance, mostly as that event is a few years away from the general time frame the RPG books are set in.

With TCW material, it's easy to add in because that's only 20 some odd years in the past, and it's very likely a lot of surplus gear is still making the rounds, especially in the Outer Rim or in the hands of the resource-strapped Rebellion.

I'm IG-86 Assassin Droid who has bore witness to the Republic, Empire, New Republic and First Order. I've seen the corruption of senators, the tyranny of an Emperor; and I've bore witness to the the same happening again. This cannot be allowed to continue!

As I walk around the wreckage on Jakku, I come to one inescapable conclusion. For the peace of every droid and fleshling in the galaxy, all politicians and dictators must be removed from power. If they refuse, they die.

I'll be back

Cool, an ISIS Murder Bot :D