Droid PC, what books do I need?

By RoK 98, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Once I've got the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook I'll begin creating my droid Player Character. But what supplements will I need to help him grow into a stealthy, deadly, slicing Assassin Droid?

Here's the rough draft of his background:

Built approximately one hundred years before the Clone Wars, RK-98 (aka RoK) was commissioned by a wealthy member of the Galactic Senate to protect his family. But this was no mindless automaton......

(Either the droid was built to be capable of interacting and learning, or somehow developed a desire to become more than the sum of it's programming)

......Over the decades RoK served the family and fought off pirates, mercenaries and bounty hunters. But saw the most action from the time of the Clone Wars until the dissolving of the Senate by the Galactic Empire. It was during this time that he witnessed the corruption of the Senate and the tyranny of the Empire. He saw the family he adopted as his own become stressed, depressed and fall apart.

One day he had a choice to make. Two teenage siblings, the son and daughter of the former senator, were fighting. As the son was a proud supporter of the Empire, the daughter was seeking to find the Rebel Alliance. RoK had to pick a side and, knowing the Empire was harming people, chose to continue his service with the daughter. Believing the Rebels would learn from the mistakes of the past to build a better future. Though primarily a bodyguard for the daughter, who was a skilled diplomat, RoK also served as an infiltrator, saboteur, assassin and slicer for the Rebellion.

Unfortunately, the New Republic had learnt nothing. They were no better than the Republic which had allowed tyranny to grow unchecked in their midsts. Completely disillusioned the daughter, who had been a senator, lost the will to continue in politics and became the captain of a ship instead.

Their first stop was Jakku......

That is the quick rough draft of RK-98's background up to The Force Awakens Beginner Game.

So what books, after the EotE rulebook, will help build the best infiltrating, slicing, sabotaging, assassin droid?

Well for slicing and also cybernetics rules I would get Special Modifications.

I agree, that should do nicely.

Sounds like a good story.

What kind of assassin droid is it? Up-close and personal with a melee weapon? Shoot from a far with a sniper rifle? Or blow them up with whatever is around?

To be honest, the last option might synergize well with the slicing. Setting demolitions is based off of mechanics, and to be a good slicer, you'll already have a good intellect. And to go that route you'll want Dangerous Covenants for the Demolitionist specialization.

If you're talking about Bounty Hunter: Assassin, then you got what you need for that already.

Sounds like a good story.

What kind of assassin droid is it? Up-close and personal with a melee weapon? Shoot from a far with a sniper rifle? Or blow them up with whatever is around?

To be honest, the last option might synergize well with the slicing. Setting demolitions is based off of mechanics, and to be a good slicer, you'll already have a good intellect. And to go that route you'll want Dangerous Covenants for the Demolitionist specialization.

If you're talking about Bounty Hunter: Assassin, then you got what you need for that already.

Was thinking shooting and brawling. He's more of a bodyguard so Bounty Hunter Assassin is a good fit. He protects with extreme prejudice after all. But I'll pick up Dangerous Covenants. I'm debating playing some of his back story to gain experience and gain the slicing and demolition skills. It'll be a while before the Beginner game is out.

I agree, that should do nicely.

Great!

Will add that to Dangerous Covenants

The Enforcer from Dangerous Covenants could work for additional brawling, plus it allows you to help the social guy by just standing back and looking tough.

Or you could actually go Hired Gun: Body Guard, and then pick Assassin or Slicer as a secondary specialization... especially if the daughter is still around, needing some protection.

You could start demolitionist it has 12 unique skills including computers and mechanics... i'm not interested in blowing stuff up but the skill list is pretty awesome (my favorite in the game, personally I'don't prefer to drop melee from hired gun and pick up stealth so it's not perfect for my tastes but it is pretty close) and a lot of the talents are generally useful (improved time to go would let you and the daughter get into cover before every firefight started if you were willing to spend a dp to do it), enduring is nice, rapid reaction etc. And it qualifies you fore the hired gun career signature ability last one standing (let's you take out every minion on the board, that's a bad ass assassin)