Galaxy map?

By robus, in The Force Awakens Beginner Game

People are talking excitedly about a galaxy map in the box. I would like to join them, but where is the evidence that it's part of the set?

Great sleuthing :)

A galaxy map? I'm in.

For the map alone this has become a much more interesting prospect.

It will be interesting to see if they update it with the TFA planets, or if it's just a reprint of what's in the existing core rulebooks.

They will include a map but a good chunk of it in the middle will probably be missing

A printed Galaxy Map wil be very useful.

I need to do some research as to what online map GMs are using to help calculate travel time and distances for FFG SW games..

They will include a map but a good chunk of it in the middle will probably be missing

BB-8 will have the missing piece

I'm moving slow today. It took your response to get the original joke.

It could be a placeholder, since the product description doesn't mention a galaxy map.

Interestingly enough, the visual guide for the Force Awakens suggests the shape and distribution of the galaxy is more or less the same. Starkiller base is actually "west" of where the old Imperial remnant was in the Legends series of events. It also appears that hutt space is on the map too.

Since this box is all about The Force Awakens, my guess is that it's the same universe but edited for TFA continuity.

The way the image was quickly replaced concerns me that maybe they've decided to go a different way. That would be unfortunate, as a nice galaxy map would really enhance the game.

Replaced the image? I still see the set with a map:

swr09_spread.png

What can I say?

I still like what I'm seeing!

No chance it might deal with the sunken Corvette mentioned in the description as in an actual map of the ship's interior?

Desslok, you are right. It's certainly in the article now. I'm not sure if it was pulled and then put back or if I just missed it later on. Either way, glad to see it is being shown with the set. Now I'm wondering what might be on the other side of it.

Depending on the quality of the map I actually might buy this. Though if I remember the previous accessories for the game table were just print outs and not "board game quality", which would degrate the map to a nice to have, but easily replaced with a nice A3 / Ledger format printout on 220g or 300g glossy paper. Which reminds me that this would be actually a good idea for our game table, 220g laminated galaxy map.

Interestingly enough, the visual guide for the Force Awakens suggests the shape and distribution of the galaxy is more or less the same. Starkiller base is actually "west" of where the old Imperial remnant was in the Legends series of events. It also appears that hutt space is on the map too.

Since this box is all about The Force Awakens, my guess is that it's the same universe but edited for TFA continuity.

I've overlaid the map image from the visual guide with the previous map provided in the core rule books. They aren't an exact line up no matter how I stretch it, but when the given planets align, Starkiller base is right where Illum is supposed to be. Suggesting that Illum may have been cannibalized to make Starkiller base (which is consistent with the canon that says the Death Star used kyber crystals as its focus for its firing mechanism). This is not a new supposition, but it is rather interesting. In fact, D'Qar even replaces a planet that existed previously (though there's been no concern or question about the fate of the original planet).

The First Order and Imperial Remnant factions in current canon reside somewhere in the Unknown Regions (which is, interestingly enough, where Luke seems to have been hidden if the map R2 displays is rotated the same direction as the maps we are given as fans). These regions are so difficult to explore that it isn't unreasonable for Luke to have hidden there, but I doubt that any map provided will give any strong indication where the First Order or Luke are hiding within that great shadowy western expanse. Since Illum was at the far "northern" edge of the Unknown Regions, it had less hyperspace interference to use its weapon on core systems like the Hosnian System.

There are entire gaming sessions where all we are doing is trying to get from point A to point B. Having the map in the center of the table with some ship markers would really set the mood for those times.

I still have to wonder what is on the other side of this thing. I'd be thrilled if it were the same map from different time periods, but I think since this is in the TFA starter it will only include a latter version.

Edited by RookiePilot

This topic makes me realize how dumb the movie presented this, while it could have done so freaking smart. I mean they hunted basically for hyperspace routes into the unknown regions and those map pieces did not really presented missing starts, but unknown hyperspace lanes. WIthin the universe it all makes sense, but it was presented in one of the dumbest ways possible.

This topic makes me realize how dumb the movie presented this, while it could have done so freaking smart. I mean they hunted basically for hyperspace routes into the unknown regions and those map pieces did not really presented missing starts, but unknown hyperspace lanes. WIthin the universe it all makes sense, but it was presented in one of the dumbest ways possible.

More than you know, in the attack of the clones Obi-Wan discovered Kamino was erased from the archives.

Doesn't stretch much if Obi-Wan & Yoda deliberately copied and erased that section of the map from the archives so the Imperial Archives was also the former Jedi Archives so it explains why it's missing and why R2 copied the rest of the map whilst able to access it aboard the Death Star.

As that was also based on the information acquired from the former Jedi Temple now the Imperial Palace so maybe Palpatine even claimed it was actually his... say why haven't they mentioned a Sith Archive as Palpatine was searching the unknown regions after all maybe he lost it along with his personal yacht thanks to Lando?

(Lando has his own mini comic series)

Edited by copperbell

I guess I find it kind of un-plausable that this information (which is needed fairly regularly for trade route travel) would only exist in a single archive.

For instance, if google and map quest are down, I still have paper maps and other sources that can assist in my travel needs.

I guess that's why the whole thing seems a little hokey unless it is like a treasure map, where you have to know the starting point in order for the rest of the instructions to make sense.

Well in that regard hyperspace routes are a little like treasure maps. You need the start point and follow the instructions to stay on the lane to evade all the mass shadows along the way or make small stops in between to fly around or trough stellar phenomena blocking a direct hyperspace passage.

In case of the deleted Kamino, it was deleted from most databases, while the Archives were the most complete of all galaxy maps and hyperspace routes archives it was not the only one and after all Obiwan able to locate the planet without big problems in the end.

In both cases there was no need to have this information for trade routes either, neither Kamino nor Lukes hideout had any bigger trade routes going on and those routes are kept often as trade secrets as unknown lanes are a horrendous tactical advantage, be it for business or be it for war. Whole networks are kept secret on purpose. The republic for example has little knowledge of the routes within the unknown regions, the empire kept the results of their inner core expeditions a state secret, etc. The very definition of civilized space and galactic society is build around those planets which are within the republican network, while literally millions of worlds and species are happily outside of that world and keep their routes a secret.

On top of that there is still the great hyperspace disturbance, at least in the legends continuity. Which makes all the hyperspace lanes passing the barrier usually a temporary thing. And btw, the location of Illum was one of the best secrets of the Jedi order, Ahch-To as the origin of the first Jedi temple was most likely similar. As Palpatine claimed the republican jedi temple has his own it not that unreasonable that he had fragments of the route to Ahch-To and as Obi-Wan did sabotage the temple to shut down the false home call, I do find it plausible that they were able to delete parts of the hyperspace coordinates or that they never have been completely stored within the temple.

Another thing of note, Ahch-To seems to be as well within the unknown regions, the graphic in the movie seems to place it even near Rakata Prime. *grin*

...and after all Obiwan able to locate the planet without big problems in the end.

Well, I guess if you don't consider the whole Jango Fett fight sequence a big problem... or the fact that Kamino's rediscovery allowed the Republic to enter into the Clone Wars against the Separatists... ;)

...and after all Obiwan able to locate the planet without big problems in the end.

Well, I guess if you don't consider the whole Jango Fett fight sequence a big problem... or the fact that Kamino's rediscovery allowed the Republic to enter into the Clone Wars against the Separatists... ;)

Jup, I don't call those big problems with finding the planet, more about falling for a trap afterwards. ^-^