Possible Solo Rules!

By Mad_Irishman, in WFRP House Rules

Hello all! I'm new to the forums and just purchased my copy of WHFR and like what I see. The only problem is I have a hard time finding decent groups so I am relegated to playing by myself, sad I know. What I was wondering if any of you creative types can come up with a basic solo rule set. Charts and tables with random results of what the monsters do, treasure, combat and adventuring. I will try to come up with something and if I do I'll post it, if I can get my creative juices flowing.

Keep up with the good material for the game such as dice rollers and all that, it's nice to see a community that is passionate about the game they play.

-Ian O'Connor

you should trying Mythic rPG GM emulator, you can puchase it at Drivethrurpg.com at 5- 6 $ the PDF

You could also try to track down Warhammer Quest rules. You may be able to modify that old game to use the new WH3ed rules.

I'll look into those. I might also look at using talisman as a board and possible solo encounters, making cards and what not to fit the the game.

As far as I know, the only way to turn a pure-blooded RPG like Warhammer into a solo game would be to write solo adventures, which tend to end up like the "fighting fantasy" books of old. But those are still very narrow in terms of what you, as a character, can do.

I own Warhammer Quest but I don't see how you can use its rules to make a solo game out of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay unless you're just going to play Warhammer Quest with WFRP combat rules or something.

I really wonder how you could possibly have interesting social interaction with NPCs playing solo on the tabletop. If it's possible, I would be quite intrigued!

It would likely be worth it for you to look into the various online games that happen through things like maptool or play-by-post games. They have the advantage of being able to play with people all over the world while just being infront of your computer.

I will second that Maptool and something like Skype can be very good combos for play, I think there are posts on these boards about using it.

If you've not done remote play before, it can be chancy as the vagaries of finding a group are amplified on-line (there's frequent over-commitment/backing out) but if you get one together it works fine.

Rob

I take a slightly different take on the original post. I used to write fiction (as a hobby, not professionally) and have gotten out of practice. One of the things I have been dabbling with recently is using plot and narrative structure to drive a solo game using a set of RPG rules. I bought the new set after reading a couple rules and getting excited by some of the elements which some reviewers (interestingly) derided in terms of becoming more abstract around use of miniatures and focussing on story. So my suggestion would be, think of the rules as a creativity tool to guide the story you'd like to be telling. Whether or not you are producing fiction, simply apply the "yes, and..." and "what's happened next?" concepts to the results of the dice with the characters made in mind should lead to some interesting places.

I have played around with this by setting up a Tiddly Wiki on my laptop and just letting the elements unfold, and I find its fun, if not a little time consuming. (Especially when I try to translate into a narrative which isn't about rule mechanics) My motivation is to exersize writing muscles, so maybe not a perfect match.

Another thing you might consider, although I have never used them and so I can't say how well they work, is card-based story-teller games. I would have to dig around, but I found a review of one which was more realistic fiction based, but basically was a card game where everyone received a combination of story elements and add-ons to other elements which were played in succession. It sounded cool, but I never ordered it.

Finally, although Warhammer setting is reasonably set, I would also suggest you search for "Dawn of Worlds", it is a free simple game made by some gamers around creating a fantasy setting. The principal is that each person has a budget of power to do certain things with. While it doesn't fit you question about playing WFRP solo, I have used that to develop a campaign setting solo, and could see doing the same to develop a campaign plot solo by taking different elements (adversaries, settings, types of plots, etc...) and making them the things which different influences (The Empire, Chaotic Cults, Dwarves, thos nasty little hobbitses) spend points on. Just a thought on how you can do this without relying on random charts which in the end, are.... well kind of random. Of course that can be fun in its own right.

I think this is my first post/reply on this forum. So Salut at the same time, if that doesn't come off too Bretonnian.

One other thing, I have used Skype and Maptool (rptools.net if no one put the URL for MapTool up) and they are very good products especially given that they are free and well supported by fan base. If your limitation is geography and are looking to find a group, I know a couple people who have successfully done this. The only caution I would put up from my experience is it predictably works better with people you know and have some degree of established trust/respect because I found people showing up late online to be more prevalent and annoying (I mean how long do you want to sit with a headset on your head) when running a game. All of the successful examples I know of were actually out growths from face to face games of times past. That said, I'm sure there are other people who are finding communities which work great with this technology.

I uploaded night of mystery (updated to wfrp2..which means no-brainer to update to wfrp3) to my gallery page. It's a solo. gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/emirikol7/

jh