financial troubles....

By rulemonkey, in UFS General Discussion

I cant find a way around this card at all is there any help especially when it comes to multiples in the staging area. I keep having to go against 2-3 and its hard to deal with that kind of discard or draw.

The only thing i can think of is martial arts champ, but i dont play those symbols

any help would be appreciated.

Kill them before they can get 3 down?

Honestly i haven't found it to be that bad. If you don't play it yourself, or symbols on MAC, may i ask what symbols you do play?

With a 7HS you should be outbuilding them and by the time they get 2-3 of them down you shouldnt need to be dumping your hand (as foundations) each turn, so you should either be killing them or able to discard/block. If they are 7HS, then they have low VIT and you simply kill them before they can build up a staging area full of Financial Troubles.

As a 6HS i usually either pitch cards with no blocks or just let them draw if i have answers.

If you play good/life/earth then you really only need 1 block with a few know when to talks on your side.

Let us know who/what symbols you play and maybe we can provide more help

Smazzurco said:

If you play good/life/earth then you really only need 1 block with a few know when to talks on your side.

Earth?

Know When to Talk?

What?

Homme Chapeau said:

Smazzurco said:

Earth?

Know When to Talk?

What?

earth is the new water

Yoshimitsu has some anti-draw in his support. Unorthodox Movement (think that's the name) is the new Dark Heart. And, he's also got some foundations that R with vitality burn vs opponent's whenever they draw. Might help.

RockStar said:

Yoshimitsu has some anti-draw in his support. Unorthodox Movement (think that's the name) is the new Dark Heart. And, he's also got some foundations that R with vitality burn vs opponent's whenever they draw. Might help.

whats the wording on his asset.....i think that too could trigger off financial.

Have you tried blanking them? No Forgiveness + Throws works very well.

There's also Ancient Fighting Style.

1 Ancient Fighting Style > 4 Financial Troubles.

Algol's support, in general, laughs at Financial Troubles. Pseudo Soul-Caliber says "Thanks for playing, you committed one of them for nothing" Pseudo Soul Edge says "We'll both draw two" Ancient Fighting Style just says "Thanks much". Alaraph Achernar essentially gives you +2 to your hand size, unless your opponent is negating drawing.

If you run Death, especially Nightmare support, you can just keep blowing up the opponents staging area, which is a personal favorite of mine.

Or, if they don't have the check helping, like for some reason they don't have Communing or For the Money out, let them draw. See how far they can really check with all those cards in their hand. Depending on the opponent, you can get in their head. It's like daring them to beat you, when they can't.

Those are just my feelings about Financial Troubles though. I'm sure there are more stable ways to deal with it. I just happen to like my methods. ^_^

Play Yoshimitsu, Yoshimitsu*, and Pavillion. Watch and laugh as they mill and kill themselves. You can also pack ancient fighting style in that deck. LOL THE FUN TO BE HAD! Add insult to injury Yoshi can play finicial troubles. Also another good card to use is Rivarly with a Bear. They will weaken their foundation base so they will less likely to tap out their finicial troubles.

Financial Troubles is taken out of any deck I run that doesn't also run discard (which Order can now do in tandem with FT). It doesn't work unless multiple copies are in play, or unless your opponent seriously over extends. Who seriously over extends and expectes to live? No one.

I am not kidding about this, I argued with guitalex about it re: the ruling and him thinking it is OP when it came out, I now have even less regard for it. It is a theme deck piece only, i.e. you go also with discard or you go also with readying (oh man my All Yun Seung is fun with FT and Searching for Family).

Srsly people, I am not a slub at UFS, and I have moved away from using this and other easily cancellable cards. They just don't work the way you want them too unless you have an advantage either gained or lucked into ( i.e. opponent overextends), neither of these happen early game, and games don't go long = not a good enough card for me.

- dut

dutpotd said:

Srsly people, I am not a slub at UFS, and I have moved away from using this and other easily cancellable cards. They just don't work the way you want them too unless you have an advantage either gained or lucked into ( i.e. opponent overextends), neither of these happen early game, and games don't go long = not a good enough card for me.

- dut

That is the issue is that most decks that are built by the average player can't kill in the turn 2-5 hole. That is the reason the cards are strong. Your playing with Hilde and its easy to kill in that zone. I play control cards like Kilik and Yoshi. It doesn't work at all. Killing in that period requries to much luck and over extending. I also think when one is limited on rares and ultras it makes the kill zone harder to hit. You need Hilde's weapon or Paul's Gi to give you the draw to get the draw needed to kill.

I'm just throwing that out there. The general problem is that if you are going to play for the kill zone you are stuck playing aggro. All other decks become almost worthless. Kilik can not hit this point. At the same time all the top teir characters can hit his point and keep walking. Astrid can do it no problem. If she stacks early game its over.

darklogos said:

That is the issue is that most decks that are built by the average player can't kill in the turn 2-5 hole. That is the reason the cards are strong. Your playing with Hilde and its easy to kill in that zone. I play control cards like Kilik and Yoshi. It doesn't work at all. Killing in that period requries to much luck and over extending. I also think when one is limited on rares and ultras it makes the kill zone harder to hit. You need Hilde's weapon or Paul's Gi to give you the draw to get the draw needed to kill.

I'm just throwing that out there. The general problem is that if you are going to play for the kill zone you are stuck playing aggro. All other decks become almost worthless. Kilik can not hit this point. At the same time all the top teir characters can hit his point and keep walking. Astrid can do it no problem. If she stacks early game its over.

Here's the thing, if you are playing 'control' as you put it, or a game more suited to the long game, then you had better **** well a) dedicate most of your deck to outbuilding your opponent (how else can you win the late game) b, you probably have ways to deal with problem foundations - how else could you expect to win against a throny one late game that is sure to be out?, and c) draw, for defense and to build. If you are actually playing towards the goal you state then Financial Troubles is even less of a concern.

I play much more than Hilde, last week I played Yun Seung, during playtesting I use practically every character. I build all sorts of characters for people in the playgroup and they do consistently well, I'm not speaking from a position lacking in scope.

If the complaints are coming out of a position of casual play (the other thing I think you are throwing out there) then I don't know what the real problem is? i.e. the game isn't fun in casual play (losing/winning doesn't even matter) because someone gets more of a relatively better card out? Umm, a card game, you draw Aces and the opponent doesn't, you probably will win = I don't get the complaints.

- dut

dutpotd said:

darklogos said:

Here's the thing, if you are playing 'control' as you put it, or a game more suited to the long game, then you had better **** well a) dedicate most of your deck to outbuilding your opponent (how else can you win the late game) b, you probably have ways to deal with problem foundations - how else could you expect to win against a throny one late game that is sure to be out?, and c) draw, for defense and to build. If you are actually playing towards the goal you state then Financial Troubles is even less of a concern.

I play much more than Hilde, last week I played Yun Seung, during playtesting I use practically every character. I build all sorts of characters for people in the playgroup and they do consistently well, I'm not speaking from a position lacking in scope.

If the complaints are coming out of a position of casual play (the other thing I think you are throwing out there) then I don't know what the real problem is? i.e. the game isn't fun in casual play (losing/winning doesn't even matter) because someone gets more of a relatively better card out? Umm, a card game, you draw Aces and the opponent doesn't, you probably will win = I don't get the complaints.

- dut

Thing is in this game more cards in your hand then your opponent has never been a bad thing. There has never been a card that says you gain life = to how many cards your opponent has in their hand. There is are no cons to draw in the meta other then Yoshimitsu* and even then the punishment is small and limited to just that character. Having lots of draw options has been a big issue in the game. Folks complained about Aquakenesis because is effects were obvious and strong. There was no disadvantage to playing the card. Do we have more balanced draw? Yes and manly times it is conditional. Finicial troubles has the weakest disads of any draw 2 card in the game. Hilde's weapon can't stack. Searching for Family requires 2 kicks in your hand and requires you to reveal your hand to your opponent. That is a strong disadvantage on a kill turn. You also can't use the card to draw into attacks if you need 1. The moment it was ruled that Finicial Troubles discards due to cost and its not discard then it made the card the best draw 2 option. Its stackable and once 3 hit the field then your opponent is either going to mill their hand to stop you from drawing or they are going to let you draw into potentially a kill card or a card that would win the oppnent the game.

The issue is that ccg's can not be compared to poker or any other game that uses a playing card deck. The first reason is that no one comes to the poker table with their hand and the cards they are going to draw into for their future hands. The second thing is that at no point in poker can one draw more then their hand. The next element about casual play is that one would like the "chance" to win. The enjoyable factor of casual games is that one will win some and loose some. When one in the playgroup excels to much and buys a deck that exceeds the level of the casual group one of two things happen. A. People stop playing casual. Or B. the social nature of the game is lost and the group shrinks either by casting out the power player or stop playing in favor of another game. I've seen this happen in several games. The conditions you line out do not work for casual play and for many would take the enjoyment out of the game. I think this is horrible casual game because the mechanics have very few limitations. But we've gone down that road before. I would say that the best thing to do for casual games is to ban the card.

Do I think Finical troubles needs a ban? No more bans at this stage will kill the game. They can't ban cards for at least a year if they plan to keep this game in tact. Do I see it as a strong draw 2 card? Yes I do. I understand why you don't because you don't get x effect when you want it.

Okay well the input is apreciated. heres my problems though

I play earth and none of these answers are earth.

Ancient fighting style is only during the enhance step so unless they errata'd Financial troubles to an enhance now its not gonna work.

No forgiveness and throws is nice but requires me to have to cards in my hand by turn two for it to be efficient. Then i only have four cards left and its hard to play foundations to setup to try to put serious damage the next turn.

Unorthodox Movement is an mediocre answer just because if you have three cards in your hand and use it you will still have three and when they use the second you still go down to two.

Yoshimitsu isnt an answer cause his character is so limited he's not practical to sideboard in to .

A side note

I agree with darklogos, without casual players this game is going down the wrong road. More than anything i just want it all those type of cards to be part of the card effect and not a cost. I know this isnt the popular opinion but without answers to these cards in every symbol its too much of a power swing to a three symbol and keeps about six worthless.

rulemonkey said:

Okay well the input is apreciated. heres my problems though

I play earth and none of these answers are earth.

Ancient fighting style is only during the enhance step so unless they errata'd Financial troubles to an enhance now its not gonna work.

No forgiveness and throws is nice but requires me to have to cards in my hand by turn two for it to be efficient. Then i only have four cards left and its hard to play foundations to setup to try to put serious damage the next turn.

Unorthodox Movement is an mediocre answer just because if you have three cards in your hand and use it you will still have three and when they use the second you still go down to two.

Yoshimitsu isnt an answer cause his character is so limited he's not practical to sideboard in to .

A side note

I agree with darklogos, without casual players this game is going down the wrong road. More than anything i just want it all those type of cards to be part of the card effect and not a cost. I know this isnt the popular opinion but without answers to these cards in every symbol its too much of a power swing to a three symbol and keeps about six worthless.

I play earth and it doesn't have a lot of draw. It shouldn't in my opinon since right now most of the control and the stronger throws are rooted in earth. Its purpose in the game is to be sturdy and consistent and not have burst of damage or setup.

Ancient fight style should work because when you look at the advanced rules in section 8 indicates that forms are played during the combat phase. If a person plays finicial troubles and attacks that turn then anything you discard could be gotten back if they attack. If they don't attack then you may be okay unless you loss something you thought you need.

I think that most players are to some extent forced to play duel symbols to counter everything.

rulemonkey said:

The game is good enough that most casual players tend to turn competitive from what I've seen.

darklogos said:

I think that most players are to some extent forced to play duel symbols to counter everything.

The problem is that earth is a very defensive symbol and would get a bit out of hand if it also had great draw at the moment (my personal opinion). Yes, Earth does have a lot of trouble with discard and draw. Earth also has handsize hate though, so it kind of evens out...

There is nothing wrong with casual play, it is important to any game. The truth is I don't think it is a huge problem in casual play either.

It is a good card, it just isn't a great card, You will also notice that Earth has no 7hs characters, the theme of Earth is high vit, little draw.

- dut

whoa guys i DO NOT want earth to get card draw. I would like it to get some way to deal with it though...

Ill have to check out the advance rules for that

When dealing with 3-4 copies of Financial Troubles, Dead For 1k Years usually does the trick.

Otherwise, Ancient Fighting Style is hands-down the sweetest counter to Financial Troubles. Many players won't even use it if they see you have it out. Take THAT for a deemed jank card.

Or you could discard Soul Waves and...

...oh, that's right. That doesn't work.

Well, at least there's some answers across some symbols...

If drawing two cards had a chance of commiting your entire staging area noone would even play it.

Shaneth said:

Otherwise, Ancient Fighting Style is hands-down the sweetest counter to Financial Troubles. Many players won't even use it if they see you have it out. Take THAT for a deemed jank card.

Fire can bait you out though if they have MAC up.

Shaneth said:

When dealing with 3-4 copies of Financial Troubles, Dead For 1k Years usually does the trick.

the problem is that it only buys me a turn and i have to blow it up limiting my set up to kill them