Cataclysm queries

By The Hunter, in Talisman Rules Questions

Got the Cataclysm in the post and aiming for a sesh this Friday.

Some cards got me thinking:

If the Farmer sends you to a Fields, you miss 2 turns.

If you land on a Fields space, your turn ends rather than encountering the space.

So do you only miss your next turn, or the next 2 turns?

My opinion is that if you do land on a Fields, you only miss 1 turn. But if all Fields are terrained, you miss 2 turns.

Some of the cards say "you must discard 1 follower".

What if you have some bad followers (like the Poltergeist), or only bad followers, or only the Hag?

Can they be discarded, or is it a case of "can't overrides must"?

My opinion is only discarding good followers if you have any, otherwise bad followers can be discarded (maybe at random if there's more than one?).

Matters on the farmers game text and wording.

Again i have to read both or all of the "discard a follower" but in theory yes.

What if you have some bad followers (like the Poltergeist), or only bad followers, or only the Hag?

My opinion is only discarding good followers if you have any, otherwise bad followers can be discarded (maybe at random if there's more than one?).

But bad followers can be discarded. They can't be ditched.

If you have any good followers, I would still say that you should discard them first (unless it says at random). But that's just (without even thinking about rules) my take on the matter. ;)

Start thinking about the rules ;)

Start thinking about the rules ;)

Not always not, don't worry. :lol:

As much as I usually want/like to play exactly by the rules...

Sometimes (my) common sense is valued much more around here. :D

I tend to follow by the rules, but sometimes the way they, as well as the cards and spaces, are worded that sometimes make one unsure.

Bludgeon's point about discarding/ditching now gives me the opinion that if an encounter says you MUST ditch/discard followers, bad ones are included, but if it's a case of you MAY, they stay with you.

One way is to agree on what to do in susch scenarios.

But the important tthing is to have fun.

This is an age old question that has been brought up many times.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/123269-hag-and-discarding-followers/

This is one of those things that can go either way, it is really up to the group since we have never received a definitive answer. I don't care what the digital edition is doing, that is just another groups interpretation of the rules.

Cheers

Think I answered my question about the Farmer Denizen.

Going to a Fields space and missing 2 turns is pretty much saying "Go to any Fields space and immediately end your turn, then miss your next turn".

If all Fields spaces are terrained, the instruction is ignored and no turns are missed.

(That's my take on this)

But bad followers can be discarded. They can't be ditched.

Yep that Totally right.

You cannot ditch cursed type followers, you may freely choose them to be discarded if required. It even makes sense thematically. They won't leave you alone and you can't get away from them, but if one has to die and you get to choose which, by all means buddy please kill that gremlin.

You cannot ditch cursed type followers, you may freely choose them to be discarded if required. It even makes sense thematically. They won't leave you alone and you can't get away from them, but if one has to die and you get to choose which, by all means buddy please kill that gremlin.

You say it makes sense thematically? You tell a DM that when roleplaying and I will show you a DM that just act-of-god killed your a$$...or worse! :-)

To me these followers were not meant to be discarded unless there is no other means possible. For instance "Old Man of the Sea"; If you have other followers they should probably go first. If this old bugger is sapping your life-force you would probably just kill him if you could. He is cursing you so through some ethereal reasoning or whatever it is, he probably just will not die if there is another means...... So no, it does not make sense thematically to me.

Another query:

When landing on spaces with Denizens, can you choose to visit one and not do anything, or must you visit one if you're able to?

I'm sure it's the latter but this came up during our game today.

Edited by The Hunter

When you choose to encounter something it.must be fully resolved.

Affirmative

Another thing that came up was the matter of the Reaper crossing between the Temple and Tavern.

We decided not to do this since there's no Boatman, but unsure if this is correct or not.

Another thing that came up was the matter of the Reaper crossing between the Temple and Tavern.

We decided not to do this since there's no Boatman, but unsure if this is correct or not.

There's no boatman (on default) at the tavern so my guess is the reaper can no longer move through the tavern and the temple.

If there's a boatman denizen in the deck, I guess he allows the reaper to switch regions at the spot he currently resides.

I think the Reaper will still be allowed to travel between the temple and tavern. I have to do some looky in the rules but im around 90% sure right now.

I did wonder if it was possible for the Reaper to cross between a space the Boatman Denizen card is on and an adjacent space.

Also had a Visit the Black Knight Warlock Quest but fortunately there was a Black Knight Denizen card on the Castle space, so I did that.

Looked it up. Yep Reaper allowed.

If it was possible for the Reaper to cross between a space the Boatman Denizen card is on and a adjacent space the rules would if said so given that they in turn talked about other sets with other cards as well. But the Reaper does not visit these places nor encounters them the boatman fluff was just a reason why but even if the reason is taken away the Reaper still can move because its a rule in total not a rule keyed to the boatman at the Tavern.

Question about a new object, the Orb of Time. The text states:

Magic Object

Place 3 fate on the Orb when you draw it. Once per round, at the start of your turn, you may spend 1 fate from this card to take two successive turns instead of one before play passes to the next player. When there is no fate left on this card, place 3 fate on it and pass it to the character to your left.

My question is this: are the fate on the card only being used as turn markers, or can we spend the fate on them as if they're regular fate?

Markers only, there's an annoying book in the woodland deck that does something similar, same answer

If it was possible for the Reaper to cross between a space the Boatman Denizen card is on and a adjacent space the rules would if said so given that they in turn talked about other sets with other cards as well. But the Reaper does not visit these places nor encounters them the boatman fluff was just a reason why but even if the reason is taken away the Reaper still can move because its a rule in total not a rule keyed to the boatman at the Tavern.

Uvatha I can't make heads or tales of anything you've said here lol

Uvatha I can't make heads or tales of anything you've said here lol

Ok because your such a swell guy Joker 2016 I will expand it more just for you.

Reaper Rules:

Because it is difficult for both the Boatman and the Sentinel to refuse anything to the Reaper, he may freely cross the Storm River at the Sentinel, or from the Temple to the Tavern (or vice versa), at the cost of a single movement point for either.

Ok now in Cataclysm there is no "boatman" result on the tavern space but the Reaper is not a character and does not encounter spaces anyway so characters can't move as they did before (unless they draw the boatman denizen card) but of course the Reaper is special. So just because characters can't does not mean the Reaper can't.

Also the Cataclysm rules does give us rules for using cards from other sets and how they interact with cards and rules in the Cataclysm thus if the Reaper was changed it should of said so somewhere in the Cataclysm rules. Of course FFG could of missed it, but that is of course their mistake - given the current rules the Reaper should be still free to move like he did before.

Of course everyone is free to add house rules as normal but really its not a game breaking rule.

And yes the Orb of Times fate tokens used on the card are just turn markers, do you need me to expand on that as well Joker2016 or are you OK with your own reasoning?

Spiteful lil guy aren't you? Not my fault half the nonsense you write is a jumbled mess bro. Take a pill.

Additionally your idea on the boatman and reaper is probably wrong. I'd actually say no boatman, so no ride across the river, but that might make too much sense.