Hatred talent selection

By Xeldrakka, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

I've a character advancement question here for you guys.

I have a comrade in a game I am playing who is an Iron Hand, and he wishes to take hatred multiple times at the price listed on the Iron Hands chapter advance list. While I am aware that hatred can be gained multiple times through a career, it is unclear if he can select hatred multiple times from the Iron Hands entry. I'm up in the air myself, but the argument that is being made is that for a talent to be available more than once from a given advance list, it has to have the multiplier next to it, much like Sound Constitution. Likewise, it has been argued that if a given talent could be taken more than once per rank/advance list, then a character could spam Signature Wargear into Signature Wargear (master) at ranks 1 and 3 respectively, and the Signature Wargear entry at rank 5 would be absolutely meaningless.

The counter argument is that skills can be taken multiple times when the skill shows (skill name [any]), like Speak Language (any), Drive (any), and Trade (any). None of those appear to be locked into a one time purchase. My thought on that is that this is because they are skills, not talents, and as such do not follow the one time purchase rule.

If someone could clarify the specifics of obtaining a particular talent more than once per advance list, I'd greatly appreciate it.

My understanding is that Skills and Talents work the same way in this respect - that is, by picking one subset you exhausted that particular option and you cannot take the same entry of the Advance Table again. Where the option is offered so that it may be taken multiple times, it is always clearly marked - for example, both the Blood Raven and Novamarine Chapter Advance tables in HtC offer two separate common lore skills, and subsequently list them like this: Lore: Common (any two)

The relevant rules can be found on p. 94 (Skill Groups) and p. 108 (Talent Groups) in Core.

Edited by musungu

I absolutly agree with what musungu said.

Likewise, it has been argued that if a given talent could be taken more than once per rank/advance list, then a character could spam Signature Wargear into Signature Wargear (master) at ranks 1 and 3 respectively, and the Signature Wargear entry at rank 5 would be absolutely meaningless.

I don't think you can stack multiple lvl1 Signature Wargear to reach higher lvl Signature Wargear. Each Signature Wargear is an entry on it's own, and can only be upgraded with the specific master or hero talent.

Also:

"A Battle-Brother may purchase this Talent multiple
times in accordance with his Career Advances.
"

The meaning of this is that this talent can be purchased more than once, but still not from a single advancement table entry. Otherwise, like you said, why should there be more than one entry? ;)

Edited by Avdnm

One entry in a table without any indication of a multiplayer (varies through the rule books) can only be taken ONCE. So just as musungu said this also effects skills. If there is one "Trade (Any)" you can pick one trade that can be any trade from the list. But you cant pick two.

Totally agree with previous speakers.