2e to 3e

By amrowe1999, in WFRP Gamemasters

For those of you former 2e players out ther that are thinking about or have already jump ship to this edition i have a question for you or for any one else for that matter. How hard would it be to convert some 2e adventures into 3e goodness?

I think it would be difficult to do. Between the change in timeline and complete overall of game mechanics, it would be much more difficult than WFB to WFRPv1; or WFRPv1 to WFRPv2.

In my case I plan on using some of the adventure ideas, themes, and plots from my earlier edition source material, and only do a loose conversion of NPCs and critters.

I don't want to discourage anyone from doing a full conversion, just saying it won't be easy. Of course, the things that are hardest are also the most rewarding, and can be the most fun.

Personally I think it would be quite easy. A lot of the adventures are easily set in any of the time periods (which lets face it, aren't exactly far apart). The only difficulty will be in stating up religions and wizards from Collages not covered in the core set.

Giving workable rules to any creatures are monsters is simple, you don't really even need to come up with extra attacks beyond the basic action cards if you don't want to.

Honestly, nothing's changed but the dice. Although i would submit that I think that the PC's are a wee bit tougher than they were in 2e at first career.

Conversions:

1. Skills : not much for changes there

2. Monsters: just reference the new ones in the adventure book..if they're not there, then fix it

3. Spells: for the one character that uses spells, he's going to just have to deal with it.

jh

I also feel the translation from 2E to 3E would be fairly easy.

Take the first digit of the 2E statistic as a base for the 3E one, and make the other adaptations noted by others above and you're practically there.

The only possible difficulty is that we don't really have quite as broad a range of rules with 3E yet as we do with 2E.

I was asking becuase i was on the fence about buying some of the old "modules" from 2e that are up for the holiday sale and then converting them to 3e so that i had some other published adventures to both run and steal ideas from to run my players through. Thanks for the help guys.

amrowe1999 said:

I was asking becuase i was on the fence about buying some of the old "modules" from 2e that are up for the holiday sale and then converting them to 3e so that i had some other published adventures to both run and steal ideas from to run my players through. Thanks for the help guys.

Although I don't think the conversion will be as easy as others do, I'd still tell you it's worth getting the 2e books. A ton of usable material there. Definately worth picking up.

I think it depends on how far advance are the characters. If you are just beginning I think it should be pretty easy. However priest / wizard types in their third career (Master Wizard, Annoited Priest) or beyond, and hedge wizards you will have some changes to do as the core set does not come with those careers.

I don't intend on ever picking this vile creation up, I played a game demo at the store and it was an abomination to me. My players would never submit to this board game/card game incarnation, not to mention it only allows a GM & 3 players out of the core set, thats crazy, my 2nd edition allows way more than 3 gamers to play just with a basic core book!...... And don't tell me its expandable for more players by buying the extra player expansions, thats just wrong of FF in the first place, greedy bastards!

flyingcircus said:

I don't intend on ever picking this vile creation up, I played a game demo at the store and it was an abomination to me. My players would never submit to this board game/card game incarnation, not to mention it only allows a GM & 3 players out of the core set, thats crazy, my 2nd edition allows way more than 3 gamers to play just with a basic core book!...... And don't tell me its expandable for more players by buying the extra player expansions, thats just wrong of FF in the first place, greedy bastards!

Thank you for answering the original poster's request on converting 2e to 3e. Very constructive. Glad you took the time to stop by.

I think it depends on the modules you were looking at converting to be honest. Some of them are quite focused on the aftermath of the Storm of Chaos. Plundered Vaults has got a few good scenarios in it (especially Rough Night at Three Feathers Inn & For Love and Money -IIRC). Some of the Older campaigns were pretty good like the Doomstones Trilogy or the Oldenhaller Contract.

-ebon-

This just in... Some 2e fans don't like the new game! Film at 11.

flyingcircus said:

Okay I won't tell you we played fine with 5 player and a GM last night and with no expansions-even though we did. IA ittle use of creativity aided by technology can go a long way.....

Please keep your comments on-topic. If on-topic is too much to ask, please keep your comments civil.

FFG DanielC said:

Please keep your comments on-topic. If on-topic is too much to ask, please keep your comments civil.

Sorry sir, did not mean to offend you, oh I had nothing in that post about you, so bugger off!

flyingcircus said:

FFG DanielC said:

Sorry sir, did not mean to offend you, oh I had nothing in that post about you, so bugger off!

Just kidding guys.