Choosing to Fail

By Snerded, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

Hello folks

Can a PC choose to fail a test? Example, a Black Templar with Abhor the Witch is effected by a power from a friendly librarian. Can the BT choose to fail the WP roll?

Hello folks

Can a PC choose to fail a test? Example, a Black Templar with Abhor the Witch is effected by a power from a friendly librarian. Can the BT choose to fail the WP roll?

I guess the best way to choose to fail a test is to not take the action, but I get what your going at.

I would say it depends on the circumstances. In your example, if the BT is new to the Deathwatch, I would say he could not opt to fail the WP roll because no Black Templar would willing allow themselves to be affected by a witch. To the Black Templars, there is no such thing as a 'friendly' witch. However, if the BT is a Deathwatch veteran with a slightly more worldly view...perhaps.

Say an artillery shell lands nearby and the marine has to make an agility roll to remain standing, I would think it's perfectly reasonable for the marine to choose to not roll and simply get knocked prone. If this is the first shell of a barrage, it's probably better to be prone.

I would judge each instance as they came up. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about it in the books.

I would say yes, one hundred percent. You can easily choose to fail to resist anything or fail to dodge anything or fail to succeed at something. You just, as above, don't act or don't care about the consequences.

As long as it's in character or justified to some degree then I would allow any player to fail at a test. However the caveat of this would be:

"Right, you can choose to fail this test if you want but you will be considered as rolling a natural 100 and will take any consequences thereof".

Willingly failing a test? Thats Heresy! BLAM!

For the BT you may want to introduce either insanity or lost reputation as a penalty. Its one thing to let yourself fall down, its another to try and ignore a built in drawback.

For the BT you may want to introduce either insanity or lost reputation as a penalty. Its one thing to let yourself fall down, its another to try and ignore a built in drawback.

Yep, that sounds reasonable. Given that a Killteam might bond I still dont believe that everyone would simply abandon fundamental ideas and IDENTITIES of his chapter. If you want to benefit from your chapter you have to stick to your chapter to an extend or you might become a black shield.

Having ideals and "forgetting" them is not a matter of convinience; that is what seperates them from habits.

Insanity might be appropriate or you might just penalize his Abhor the witch roll in the future with a growing malus if he continues to do so. Getting rid of that malus requires a HUGE investment for he has to find faith again and might be comparalbe to earning a fate point.