?Core set?

By RoBro, in WFRP Gamemasters

I GM Dark Heresy sessions and want to introduce my players to the world of Warhammer Fantasy. I wanted to buy this core set but started watching videos and my excitement has gone down a lot and a bunch of questions arose. I have three other players, me being the GM. Would this core set support all of us? All the videos I have seen made it seem like there are going to be no tactical maps, all story telling and no math needed (Range, blast, spell length etc etc)One more. It seems to me that the only reason FF made all the cards, dice, puzzles, and custom sheets was to prevent the game to be pirated. Does the game seem like a board game with all the cardboard that comes with it?

The core set supports any number of players. For extras you could, for personal use, write down/duplicate necessary cards or share. Basic attacks are not complicated and the regular characters don't have massive numbers of cards otherwise. Eventually, it's expected most groups will have two core sets.

I'm buying extra dice for my group, as I expect that will be the limiting factor here. Handing dice around the table is fine in smaller groups, however once you go up to 4-5 players, I feel the extra dice will be essential to keep things moving.

jh

I have read on the forums that players have felt it was a boardgame when first siting down and testing the demo-game. But after the initial experience, they discovered it was very much a roleplaying game.

there are range, radius and such, but it works with the abstract measurment rules. You no longer need to measure the exact distance in terms of feet or yards. In combat I belive they use, no distance, short distance, medium distance and long distance to figure out relative distances. And a character can go from on distance to another by spending a move action. or two distances if he strains himself.

I think the abstract measurment rules and mechanics still offer a lot of room for tactical manouvers. You should check some of the designer diaries, especially the one about combat.

You'd be hard pressed to call it a board game. D&D is more of a boardgame because it has "a board." The chits and crap are just for tracking if you don't want to use a pencil on your character sheet. Otherwise it feels like the old Call of Cthulhu game, but with different dice and more abilities (which happen ot be on difficult-to-pirate cards instead of on a page in a rulebook). Truth be told though, who cares if it's a board-role-dice-card game. As long as it's a fun system that relays Warhammer world well...

jh

Emirikol said:

...Otherwise it feels like the old Call of Cthulhu game...

jh

That's an interesting comment. Do you mean the CoC rpg from Chaosium? What makes it feel like that?