Barrow Wights of the Styrigen

By Necrozius, in WFRP Gamemasters

For my upcoming gothic horror campaign set in Eastern Stirland (and eventually Sylvania), I'm creating a major villain who is a Wight or Wraith.

In life, he was a chieftain or ruler of some kind of a tribe of Styrigen, an early Bronze Age people who essentially founded Stirland.

In the campaign, he is awakened by the growing evil forces in the East (Sylvanian Vampire Counts). But he cannot rise just yet to cause havoc. He needs to perform certain rituals to weaken the bonds of death, so that he may emerge and summon forth his former army.

I have one idea of a ritual that he will need to perform in order to attain a greater degree of physical form in the mortal world. This idea is shamelessly stolen from the Brothers Grimm movie by Terry Gilliam. He must gather seven mortal virgins and make them his symbolic brides. But they cannot be just any shepherdess or bar wench: they must be descended from ancient nobility. Imagine that the climax involves the PCs trying to rescue the comatose and hypnotized young women from a paleolythic tomb before the ritual can be completed.

This villain isn't evil PER SE, just ambitious and yearns for life once again. I see him being a bit like Francis Ford Coppola's version of Dracula: a sinister but tragic who had his life taken away by injustice and war.

For flavor, I would like to draw from Eastern European (especially Hungarian) myths and legends involving people like the Huns and Attila.

Some history on Stirland:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirland

www.warhammer-empire.com/library/guide/stirland.php

Some myths and legends:

users.cwnet.com/millenia/legend.htm

Map of Stirland:

www.warhammer-empire.com/library/images/maps/Stirland_v2.jpg

Map of Sylvania:

www.warhammer-empire.com/library/images/maps/Sylvania_v2.jpg

Does anyone here have any knowledge or resources that would point me in the right direction? Any Eastern Europeans here with any advice?

Can't help in the references, but the scenario sounds great. I wish I was in your group.

You will have to copyright that, or I might steal your idea gui%C3%B1o.gif

some years ago I read a book about eastern europe and the folkloric vampire myths of that area. I enjoyed it tremendously. The book The Vampire: A Casebook was written by Alan Dundes who is a well-renown folklorist, which goes a long way to explain this excellent book.

I don`t know if this book is going to be helpful, but it might be worth chekcing it out, maybe in your local library. its definitely a must for any vampire fans out there.

When writing my own vampire roleplay: Blood & Fangs, I found this book and all the references in it to be of great help. It easily sorted the fiction vampire legends from the "real" folkloric vampires, which have its roots from eastern europe, particular Romania and balkans. But also to parts of the baltikum, and Russia. In those legends a vampire can be pretty much described as a plauge that haunts the village or villages. Going west however, the vampire becomes romantizied, first in the newspapers of the ninetheenth century, and later in literature. There have been som famous vampire stalkers, specially in Germany that led to frenzy news writting at the turn of last century.

Did you know that vampires originally could turn themselves into butterflies, not bats? a fun folkloric fact that are one of the many interesting things found in Alan Dundes book.

Cool, thanks Mal!

I will definitely look for that book. I'm terribly fascinated by the traditional European vampire.

Perhaps a vampire would be more suited to this tale? I thought about using a Wight or Wraith, but I'm not sure about the pros and cons of such a decision.

Has anyone else here used either as a big villain?

EDIT: In order to avoid this story dragging on too long, I think that I'll shorten the number of "Brides" down to three. Three is an important number in a lot of folklore.

One will be the daughter of a Baron or Duke. Another will be the daughter of a wealthy middle class merchant. The final one will be an innkeeper's daughter.

Notice how I'm going across the triad of social classes established in 3rd edition? Heh. That means substantial interactions for the PCs with all three main classes. The remarkable coincidence that all three are united by ancient blood. I *think* that's irony? Ugh. that's another debate.

Another concept that I'm probably going to include, which will be a bit of a twist for the players, is the fact that this villain has willing (or un-willing) human servants.

Essentially, these people, who are from all walks of life, are direct descendants of the blood bound servants and advisers of this ancient chieftain.

After generations, the call from their ancient master is heard, whether they like it or not.

So these people are psychically persuaded (or dominated, in the unwilling cases) into aiding him in his plot. They are the kidnappers of the young women, the knives in the dark for the PCs and the guardians of his tomb.

Kind of neat, huh?

AND... a major NPC, who proves to be quite helpful and friendly to the PCs throughout the story, turns out to be one of these blood bound servants. OH SNAP!

What do you think?

Another idea:

The PCs will meet the third young woman (one of the chosen Brides) at a funeral. Her own sister died of some blood related disease (completely unrelated to supernatural causes). At the funeral, the crazed Priest of Morr brings out a hammer, a stake and a brick. Grim faced, the father of the family takes the tools and prepares to stake his own child into her coffin, but seems reluctant. The priest of Morr chastises him loudly. "Unless she is staked into the earth, and has a brick forced into the back of her jaw, she will arise as a vampyre and bring ruination to everyone!".

Hopefully the PCs might come in and intercede. Depending on the outcome, they may gain favor with one faction (the local church) or the other (the innkeeper and his family).

Going against the priest may bring them into trouble down the road with a Witch Hunter (the priest's brother).

edit: the brick thing comes from this article:

link to msnbc article

SPOOKY

Necrozius said:

Another concept that I'm probably going to include, which will be a bit of a twist for the players, is the fact that this villain has willing (or un-willing) human servants.

Essentially, these people, who are from all walks of life, are direct descendants of the blood bound servants and advisers of this ancient chieftain.

Last edition of WHFB the Vampire Counts list has Stigoi vampires - a vairant army list in the back of the book had listings for a Strigany unit - which were very much people of the local area that for one reason or another assisting their ghoulish masters.

Necrozius, your plot sounds really cool, and it has a lot of opportunity for investigation, action, and drama.

I think that having the villain as a Wraith or Spectre with some traits of a Wight would be the most interesting, personally; something unique that is worthy of being a major antagonist. Maybe ethereal, bound to his tomb, able to possess those he touches, and mentally dominate any scion of his blood bound retainers. Perhaps a burial phylactery that contains his soul or some such. I think the ethereal form and the possibility of possession could lead to some interesting quandaries for the player characters, not to mention moral decisions if the wraith possesses an innocent, or comrade.

The choice of using three women of three seperate social classes is brilliant, as you do run the social gamut during the investigations. The use of three also makes me think of the concept of the maiden, mother, and crone. I know that young chaste maidens in distress is a powerful theme, but I think having the victims be of differing age groups could lend a little more credibility to the folklore. There would also be the added benefit of dealing with a broader range of npcs related to the victims, not just three worried fathers.

I like the concept of having an ally that the characters get to know through the story being forced to betray them aganst his will. Tragic.

I look forward to hearing more about how you develop this further. Please keep us updated!

-Thorvid

Ooh those are fantastic ideas, Thorvid. Namely the Maiden, the Mother and the Crone concept. May I use this?

And I hadn't even thought of possession. That would be pretty awesome.

The only thing that I'm worried about is creating a like able NPC that the players will actually like, and not be too suspicious of. The Dark Heresy RPG was a bad experience for some of them, and they mistrust just about everyone. So I will have to build up that trust.

Perhaps I'll introduce this NPC in an earlier adventure, so as to build up possible friendships.

EDIT: Wow. Lots of interesting info on the concept of the Triple Goddess from Pagan mythology:

The Maiden, The Mother and The Crone (Wiki)

Some extra info from www.dailyOm.com:

A woman's life is filled with stages, milestones ushering in wondrous experiential apexes like the coming of fertility, motherhood, and wisdom. Three aspects, maiden, mother, and crone, have traditionally represented the bounties and new beginnings represented by each stage. The maiden is the aspect of new beginnings, youth, playfulness, spontaneity, and learning. A woman in the prime of her life can be said to be living under the aspect of the mother, who personifies fertility, strength, and stability. She is the gentle nurturer as well as the fierce lioness. Lastly, and by far the most misunderstood and yet in many ways the most deserving of reverence, is the crone, who holds within her all of the wisdom of the journeys of womanhood within her.

The word crone once meant simply 'wise woman' and, in antiquity, was a term of respect. The crone was a voice of wisdom, an elder, a healer, a counselor, and a teacher, who had traveled the paths of maiden and mother and possessed the accumulated wisdom of youth, adulthood, and old age. She represented the fulfillment of maturity and the knowledge that could only be obtained through a life well lived. The transition to cronehood was a rich and empowering experience, and an important rite of passage, though not one associated with a specific age. Today, though it seems eternal youth has become an obsession, women are reclaiming the status once associated with cronehood by recognizing their evolution and acting upon it. In awakening the crone, as she once was, women are acknowledging the extraordinary wisdom, grace, dignity, and beauty that comes with age.

This is gonna be awesome.

Sure, use the ideas! That's why I posted them. Introducing the NPC early and really building up the trust is a great idea. I think you should make it as traumatic for the players as possible when they finally realize they have to beat him in the face with sharp metal objects.

-Thorvid

Hi

i forgot to mention that even tough the book The Vampire: A case book, focus on the vampire folklore, it brushes on all aspects of the undead, including the revenant, werewolf and witches. And has rich details about eastern-europe death-rituals. Including (my favorite) is a reprinted interview with a romanian monk that supposedly experienced a vampire, and killed it.. Oddly enough Hungary doesn`t seem to have many vampire myths in their folklore, it may have to to with the Magyar people, belonging to a complete different culture.

the Wight story seems solid, so I don`t see why you should change it into a vampire, or you could make it unclear for the players what they are up against, vampire or wight? In eastern europe the distinction between living or dead vampire, witch or even werewolf where a bit fussy.
The Wight`s tomb could be directly placed under a castle or mansion, the owners and residents are unaware of the tomb`s existence. Maybe the castle or keep was built above a long lost barrow tomb? And now they are completely enthralled by his presence, unwilling slaves, if you like. That can really be a plot twist, while the adventurers roam the countryside in search of a lost barrow tomb, it was right under the feet, where they dined at that odd mansion. he he.

Keep up your work, love stories centred around the undead. gran_risa.gif

Mal Reynolds said:

The Wight`s tomb could be directly placed under a castle or mansion, the owners and residents are unaware of the tomb`s existence. Maybe the castle or keep was built above a long lost barrow tomb? And now they are completely enthralled by his presence, unwilling slaves, if you like. That can really be a plot twist, while the adventurers roam the countryside in search of a lost barrow tomb, it was right under the feet, where they dined at that odd mansion. he he.

Oh that's freakin' awesome!

Perhaps the "traitor" npc somehow "leads" them to seek out and find some of these barrows, which, essentially, are traps.

As in the wight decides to be rid of these meddlesome mortals and has his minion guide them to the resting places of Horrors of the Deep.

Perhaps a Lovecraftian Horror deep in the earth instead of some typical undead. At least this will allow at least ONE investigative session in which they study ancient folklore about weird sacrificial standing stones. Dusty old libraries, ominous shadows and a creeping sense of impending dread.

Definitely having the Wight's REAL tomb being underneath somewhere really well known by the PCs...is a great idea.

Thanks!

Okay, so to put things into context:

1. In the 1st session, the PCs all receive a letter from an elderly noble named Laszlo Koleszar, who lives near the Town of Leicheberg, which is located in eastern Stirland. All of the PCs have a connection to this man, either being distantly related (if human) or having themselves worked with him in the past as adventurers (in case the PCs are the long lived races of Elf or Dwarf). Either way, Laszlo is an old man, practically on his death-bed, and desperately seeks an heir worthy of his wealth.

So he sends each PC sufficient gold (GOLD!) to pay for their journey to his mansion. No matter their background, they each have something of great worth that they have a chance of inheriting (the mansion itself, a winery, a fancy chapel and brewery, good ol' cash etc...).

The only catch is that they stay with the old man and keep him company during his last days (more like a month or two, but you get the point).

2. In Leicheberg, which borders with Stirland and the Haunted Hills, they will encounter all manner of interesting problems, including this campaign involving the Wight.

I'm hoping that in their boredom being cooped up in a huge, dusty mansion full of old, haunted memories, they will be eager to get outside and venture into the quaint town nearby or explore the ancient hills and forests.

And the local girls are quite pretty, so that always helps!

I just love how the start of your campaign is. To travel and be with an old and dying man, comforting him during his death-bed. its so sad. Not everyone would have done so, related or not.

I like your campaign idea a lot. its more a site based campaign, and not travelling all over the world. And Great Idea that the players can inherit his mansion. But there should be trials, maybe old Laszlo Koleszar have lined up something for them to do, in order to prove themselves? a letter he want to deliver to an old sweetheart, a doomed love, an old promise of everlasting love? or he want to seek foregiveness for an old friend he ruined economically? something challenging that can lead them out on great adventure.

If your players are inquisitive you could plant them as seeds instead. Like finding a old letter full of scorn to Mr Koleszar, about his betrayal. or a hidden painting made of a young beautiful maiden, now faded and almost forgotten, maybe the first name of the woman can be readable.

A dark plot twist?

what if during their adventures the party learn that Koleszar actullay have a living relative, that he don`t know of? what to do, inform him of this? risk loosing the inheritance all togheter? or do they want to explore further into this? maybe Koleszar unknown relative is one of the brides? do they have to save her? (yes) do they inform the bride about the situation? (maybe) these moral questions will undoubtly be troublesome for the players.

on the one hand they have a unique opportunity to inherit a mansion with lands, make a living. On the other hand if they do the RIGHT thing, they might end up loosing it, by saving an unfortunate young woman, and bringing her togheter with her dying grand-uncle.

That's all great stuff Mal. Thanks, this campaign is turning out to be much more interesting than I first thought it was going to be.

Also, as an introduction to the rules of 3rd edition, I'm planning on using the basic structure of the Emperor's Decree Demo story.

In that, I'll progressively introduce them to the core mechanics as they journey along.

Essentially, they start off in some kind village square or common building, waiting for their coach to arrive. This is the coach that will bring them to the Town of Leicheberg (and to the old man's estate).

There they will meet each other, and a surly merchant who is also traveling to Leicheberg. He will play an annoying role later on, just like in a "Day Late, a Shilling Short".

Also, sitting nearby, are two men who look like well traveled commoners. One is middle aged with glasses, the other is a ruddy faced youth with a bad teenage mustache. They are in fact the father and son leaders of a band of infamous Highwaymen.

(This concept is directly inspired by Stanley Kubrick's movie "Barry Lyndon")

Ever on the lookout for potential targets, they will invite any of the PCs to sit with them and share a bottle of something. This will lead to some secret social interaction.

I will be using a secret Progress Tracker which will advance depending on how much info the PCs divulge about their journey, their goal, their careers and on how openly the PCs display their weapons, armor and wealth.

The advancement of this Tracker will determine how the band of Highwaymen will confront the PCs later on in the story. By that I mean their numbers, their tactics etc...

Anyway, up to this point, no dice rolls will be necessary.

The first actual dice rolling will occur once the coach arrives. You see, the merchant wasn't originally scheduled to take this trip. So there aren't enough places for everyone. Someone will have to sit "Shotgun" with the Coachman.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but it will be a rather cool and rainy day.

More to come...

Nec, you're going to hopefully get lots of use out of my fan scneario :)

jh