Recharge and Actions

By cogollo, in WFRP House Rules

Now I don't remember exactly who proposed this one (it came up during a lengthy forum discussion) but I like this solution a lot so here it goes:

House Rule : When an action card has recharge counters on it, you may try the action again. You have to add to the roll as many Misfortune (Black) dice as recharge counters on the card. Use other recharge rules (ie, adding and removing recharge counters) as in the core rules.

Reasoning Behind : In RPGs I don't like telling my players "sorry, you cannot do that because the rules say so"; I find this reasoning too gamey. One Golden Rule in RPGs has been always to give players a chance (see, for example, page 192 of the WFRP2 rulebook) and this is one of the things that clearly distinguises boardgames from RPGs.

I found it a pity that the core rules force you not to use an action some time after using it once, specially since they have such a nice mechanics (adding White and Black dice) to cope with these situations... Also, after having played D&D4, I have come to dislike very much the concept of "At Will", "Encounter" and "Daily" powers for reasons too numerous to describe here.

I think the above houserule makes more sense. After you try an action once, people around you are more prepared to counter it if you repeat the action immediately, so the difficulty should rise but you should still be able to try again if you want to. Time needed to perform an action should not be an issue here. If you need some extra time to prepare/carry out an action, then you should not be allowed to do anything else (ie, you should be spending your free actions/fatigue tokens for that).

Like the idea. What I would suggest though is you make the additional die a challenge die. Many actions have a recharge rate of 2, and having only to take on a single black die with a 50% chance of a detrimental result occuring may not cause the player to even hesitate about using the recharging Action Card.

Would also have to consider if this applies to Active Defense cards. If it is allowed, would you add a fortune die for each recharge token on a defense card?

Anyway, good idea even though I don't see myself implementing it. Love the line of thinking that players should be given as many options as possible i just think not having an action available is simply a consequence for a choice they willingly made mere moments ago.

Remember every time you use an action you are adding more recharge tokens to the card, so at some point you would be adding so many Misfortune dice to the roll that the chance will be hopeless... still, it will be the player's decision, not the rules'.

About Active Defense cards you could argue that, as you dedicate more time (ie, actions) to the defense you are better prepared. I would also agree with your suggestion of adding Fortune dice... A good explanation would be an Aim action, the more time I spend studying and aiming at something the more chances I should have of hitting... still, there should be some limits here because otherwise the end result may be a bit silly... worth a try, though.

I like it, cogollo. I think the recharge worked fine, and none of my players minded it (a few even specifically liked it, They liked being forced to change up their attacks). So, I don't think I'll use this ... but I think if I was going to tweak the recharge rules to allow consecutive uses of an action card (despite recharge), this would be a great way to implement that and fits well within the existing rules.

The rule you are suggesting is a very interesting idea, but I also see a problem with it. As written, it grants players a new option (and therefore increases their power) without a need to sacrifice or pay anything. From what I heard, the WFRP 3 characters are already quite powerful, so I would suggest a refinement.

Add a note that if a character attempts to use not yet recharged action and fails, he must add 1 recharge token to it regardless. (On a successful action he adds RTs as required by the card, no change required here).

What do you think?

Most actions get recharge for use, even if they fail. For example, using the Trollfeller Strike, even if the Trollslayer misses, still puts recharge tokens on it (as do wizard spells that he fails to cast successfully, etc). I'm not sure off hand if there are any actions that don't get recharge if you fail, but if there are I'd agree adding a single recharge token would be good.

dvang said:

Most actions get recharge for use, even if they fail. For example, using the Trollfeller Strike, even if the Trollslayer misses, still puts recharge tokens on it (as do wizard spells that he fails to cast successfully, etc). I'm not sure off hand if there are any actions that don't get recharge if you fail, but if there are I'd agree adding a single recharge token would be good.

I agree with dvang's comment.

dvang said:

In one of Nez's posts he quoted....

On page 50, under Action Card Elements / Recharge Rating, it states "Note that action cards do not acquire any recharge tokens if the check to perform the action failed - recharge tokens are only placed on the card after it is successfully used."

As I don't have the rule book (yet!) how do these two statments work together?

Cheers

Um... heh. sonrojado.gif Lemme check my rules. I could very well be wrong in my statement in this case, since Nez quoted rules and I was going off of memory. It's possible I just missed that part.

Bludgeon said:

The rule you are suggesting is a very interesting idea, but I also see a problem with it. As written, it grants players a new option (and therefore increases their power) without a need to sacrifice or pay anything. From what I heard, the WFRP 3 characters are already quite powerful, so I would suggest a refinement.

Add a note that if a character attempts to use not yet recharged action and fails, he must add 1 recharge token to it regardless. (On a successful action he adds RTs as required by the card, no change required here).

What do you think?

Game balance solution: Let monsters do the same thing w/ their recharge abilities. Not perfect, as some of the monster abilities are very powerful and only used occasionally. But, it's a start.

Well, trying to wrap my head around the idea of recharge and having it be something other then "because the MMOG-like mechanics say so", one way to work around it could be the adding of misfortune dice representing your opponents expecting it, however I think I would go with adding Fatigue or Stress. So if you had two recharge tokens on a combat move, you could use it again if you wanted, but it would add 2 Fatigue. Either that or let the character spend Fatigue or Stress to remove recharge tokens during the Rally Phase.

Something needs to be done though, the timed recharge just isn't going to fly without some way to put lipstick on that 4e pig.