3 more previews

By NJBrock22, in UFS General Discussion

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

both of X's cards are good, yeah a 1/5 +1M BLANK Foundation looks bad, but who doesnt like those stats...

Her attack simply laughs at multiples as it gives -3D to all multiple coppies, yes even her own, but it's a good price to pay to keep the opponent's multiples from killing you.

Taki's attack ... hmm it's Kazekiri but better in my opinion.

Discuss

N.J.

Well Carefree is certainly interesting, a solid check, 1 diff foudation with a +1 mid block. It's also a card my Rashotep will never have to blank....

Assassin's strike is also pretty cool, with an intersting enhance. Adding those cards to your staging area at the end of your turn is certainly different, and I wonder if Taki 'plays' with face down cards in her card pool and or staging area?

Waterfall i'm sort of mixed about. It's a fantasticly defensive card against multiples (in our meta, spinning demon sees a whole lot of play) but the fact that YOUR multiples all get -3 dmg, I'm less enthused about. Still, with the amount of speed boosts available through life, that first low attack is going to hurt big time.

I believe that 1/5+1M blank foundation is amazing!

because you will want to use for A) the check, B) a block, C) quick drop, D) commiting/destroy fodder and possible E) recur shenan's for A and/or D

though immediatley thinking all that I saw the one definite back from it all; it will be a HUGE target from opposers because of how useful it is for things. can't really come up with examples yet but they are buzzing through my head.

chinese boxer said:

Assassin's strike is also pretty cool, with an intersting enhance. Adding those cards to your staging area at the end of your turn is certainly different, and I wonder if Taki 'plays' with face down cards in her card pool and or staging area.

yuppers, did you check out her crazy action F

"Facedown cards in your cardpool do not count towards progressive difficulty.

F discard X momentum: Turn X cards in your cardpool facedown"

there are some insane potential with the upcoming taki... pity she doesn't have all... but she has chaos and life. what draw power is there in those symbols now?

knew_b33 said:

chinese boxer said:

Assassin's strike is also pretty cool, with an intersting enhance. Adding those cards to your staging area at the end of your turn is certainly different, and I wonder if Taki 'plays' with face down cards in her card pool and or staging area.

yuppers, did you check out her crazy action F

"Facedown cards in your cardpool do not count towards progressive difficulty.

F discard X momentum: Turn X cards in your cardpool facedown"

there are some insane potential with the upcoming taki... pity she doesn't have all... but she has chaos and life. what draw power is there in those symbols now?

Well life has Recon + Hunt for jin or Researching the past + Hunt for Jin

Chaos has Algol's support, which is a lot of discarding/drawing.

Not sure what Air has.

also note that Waterfall in legacy in a pure life deck = kill condition, yeah you need to check against an 8 to pull the kill off but hey life needed a good kill card., in standard random speed boost + combo e = pain

N.J.

Despite being rare cards with less-than-interesting names, Assassin Strike and Waerfall are both nice. I'll not restate what they do, as their abilities and usefulness are pretty obvious.

While Douglass' artwork is probably the weakest shown from this set, it's still not too bad and makes me happy to say I haven't seen a horrible looking card (as far as art is concerned) yet with this set; let's hope the set does not prove me wrong.

The only gripe I have with these is Carefree. As cards are an investment to me, I'm not a fan of this one in the least. While okay-looking for the current block, I cannot think of any Legacy deck that would ever seriously pack this deck. Yes, you could say it's immune to cards like Trapped in a Nightmare, but nobody's going to run it for that specific reason. It'll be decent for some decks in this block only and will probably never see play again.

No one else is excited that we just got Kuzuryu Reppa back, only with the draw clause replaced by free foundations ? Seems kinda good, especially for miniblock; why yes, I'll get a Stand Off for free, thanks.

Waterfall is pretty insane too, I can totally see a Life Ibuki-4 deck coming up and playing coinflip with Adon... Heel Snipe is a weapon, after all :D .

@ROTBI: I'm not sure I understand your complaint with Carefree. It doesn't do anything, and its stats aren't good enough for Legacy? Boxing is Life is a rare that has an effect weaker than half a dozen Legacy cards that have no restrictions, and it was a Tekken rare. The Samba loop is a 3-card-combo that isn't half as good as Reverse Waterfall. These sorts of comparisons do not hold up.

At the same time they can not print cards that are good for both legacy and standard. I think it is good that they add nice cards for this block.

Also.. I will have nightmares about assasin strike + heichachi...

Wafflecopter said:

@ROTBI: I'm not sure I understand your complaint with Carefree. It doesn't do anything, and its stats aren't good enough for Legacy? Boxing is Life is a rare that has an effect weaker than half a dozen Legacy cards that have no restrictions, and it was a Tekken rare. The Samba loop is a 3-card-combo that isn't half as good as Reverse Waterfall. These sorts of comparisons do not hold up.

Sorry if I wasn't clearer. I said it was fine for this block. I just like my cards to be playable outside of standard. Carefree brings nothing to the Legacy table.

ROTBI said:

Sorry if I wasn't clearer. I said it was fine for this block. I just like my cards to be playable outside of standard. Carefree brings nothing to the Legacy table.

How many B4 cards truly bring something to Legacy?

Homme Chapeau said:

ROTBI said:

How many B4 cards truly bring something to Legacy?

I hope that's a joke, dude. I know you have more insight than that. Paid to Protect, Killer Android, Two Deadly Rings Techinque, Proficient Sniper (Mmmm Mystic, yummy), Destruction in His Wake, Switching Weapon Styles, Raging Gnome, most combo cards, etc... Obviously all have answers for them, but EVERY B4 card brings more to the Legacy table the Carefree.

ROTBI said:

I hope that's a joke, dude. I know you have more insight than that. Paid to Protect, Killer Android, Two Deadly Rings Techinque, Proficient Sniper (Mmmm Mystic, yummy), Destruction in His Wake, Switching Weapon Styles, Raging Gnome, most combo cards, etc... Obviously all have answers for them, but EVERY B4 card brings more to the Legacy table the Carefree.

A) I don't play Legacy. I don't want to play Legacy.

B) Honestly, most of these cards have their equivalent, if not better, versions.

You're trying too hard to be a troll, dude, lol.

If you don't play legacy (or care to) then you probably don't understand it, which would explain your comments on the matter.

Who cares? It's a common and Legacy is broken.

Carefree may only be good this block, but you'll only really ever NEED it this block. With the insane lack of 1 diff foundations, this is a welcome addition to the block. In Legacy we have Loving Devotion and enough 1 diff foundations with blocks for every symbol to not have to run anything else. Hell, Strength and Beauty > Carefree, and that foundation might as well be blank!

Assassin's Strike (sp?) sucks in Legacy too. Who would run this with all the many better multiples in Legacy? And with all the damage reduction in Legacy, the first one will never deal damage. Did I mention Yoga Mastery is in Legacy?

So does Waterfall. That Combo E is on a foundation; Deceptive Look combined with instant momentum gain like Kunai is a million times more reliable than having to draw and play 2 weapons. Anything can have that E. And Legacy has better multiple hate. And negation.

It simply makes ZERO sense to try to see what new cards bring to Legacy when Legacy is stupid to begin with. It has the best attacks, foundations, abilities, stats, blocks, speed pumps, multiples, powerfuls, momentum gain, negation and damage reduction. You know... otherwise known as the reason we went into early rotation.

Cards are not designed EVER with Legacy in mind, and I'm glad. I hope they never look back (other than for random reprints every now and again) because not to hate on our previous designer, but somewhere after block 1 it went downhill. I believe it was somewhere between the release of Chain Throw and the release of Absurd Strength.

ROTBI said:

Wafflecopter said:

For what's it's worth, if you're building a Tri-Symbol Air/Life/Water deck, in legacy, there are only 2 foundations that have a 1 diff.

Neither of them have a block.

Both of them have questionably useable abililties.

If you start looking at the Air/Water Water/Life Air/Life foundations, you'll probably start to find that Carefree is a surprisingly good choice compared to many of it's bretheren without a block, and craptacular abilities.

Just my .02.

guitalex2008 said:

Carefree may only be good this block, but you'll only really ever NEED it this block. With the insane lack of 1 diff foundations, this is a welcome addition to the block. In Legacy we have Loving Devotion and enough 1 diff foundations with blocks for every symbol to not have to run anything else. Hell, Strength and Beauty > Carefree, and that foundation might as well be blank!

Thanks for making my point. You said almost exactly what I've already said twice. While I mostly agree with the things you post this is a bit out there.

I don't know how to make it any clearer for you people. I play and enjoy Legacy. To me, this card is only worth something in the current block and I prefer the cards I buy to not lose all their worth (gameplay wise, not financially) as soon as they are not playable in the most current standard block.

If you don't play Legacy, that's fine. Don't play legacy, it doesn't bug me. My point is simply that this card is completely (not somewhat, mind you, completely) worthless in legacy play, unlike every other card in the current block. Yes, older cards may be better than most of the current ones in legacy, but that doesn't mean the new cards are completely worthless in it. I just commented on what the card was worth to me people, if you don't like Legacy then my comment has no bearing on your like for the card, so why try to disprove it or flame me about it?

Enjoy Careless, if you're a legacy player, after it's cycled you'll never play it again. If you're not a Legacy player all older cards are pretty much worthless to you anyway. In any case, this thread is derailed, let's get back to discussing how nice those attacks are, shall we?

Antigoth said:

ROTBI said:

Wafflecopter said:

For what's it's worth, if you're building a Tri-Symbol Air/Life/Water deck, in legacy, there are only 2 foundations that have a 1 diff.

Just my .02.

If you're playing legacy, you're most likely not building an Air, Life, Water Tri-symbol deck. Yes, you could play Luise or Chun-li, but then we're just splitting hairs.

Also, in case you didn't see, I sent a response to your e-mail.

A quick break from your regularly schedule dispute to bring you some non-flaming observations.

A. The divorce of water and life is not happening. We are seeing to many water/life cards and no water cards without life.

B. Carefree offers some nice defensive options to air and life.

C. Assassin’s Strike has built in master of magic even for the multiple. This is awesome. The cost is a bit high but its worth it.

D. Waterfall gives Air a kill card. One thing that is overlooked is that Air has massive speed pumps. Look at the previews. Just kidding, acrobatic, Eiserne Drossel, From the Horse, Endurance,Keeper of the Watchers, Perfect Memory,Trained Far and Wide, and Willful makes Waterfall clap its hands and dance. Don't forget that air has Temujins weapon combos that also boost speed. So yeah this is going to be a one shot card in air decks. Sadly its a rare.

E. Kisheri gets even more scary because she can easily turn Waterfall into a kill condition. Yes you are checking an 8 but you are checking an 8 for Wrath of heaven but that doesn't stop people.

F. Air might take a step up the later because it can actually hurt people and build fast.

G. Carefree makes Kilik and Sophita very very happy!

I now return you to your reguarly schedule debate.

ROTBI said:

I don't know how to make it any clearer for you people. I play and enjoy Legacy. To me, this card is only worth something in the current block and I prefer the cards I buy to not lose all their worth (gameplay wise, not financially) as soon as they are not playable in the most current standard block.

Oh god, you're nitpicking about a common losing its value? What the ****? >_>; Oh man that 10c I could've had really burns me right up

Dark Logos: Wrath of Heaven technically needs a 10, not an 8 (much like how Waterfall technically needs an 8, not a 6...)

Wafflecopter said:

No one else is excited that we just got Kuzuryu Reppa back, only with the draw clause replaced by free foundations ? Seems kinda good, especially for miniblock; why yes, I'll get a Stand Off for free, thanks.

Horrible example was horrible:

1. Share absolutely no symbols (and have two polar block zones)
2. One drew a shitload of cards (thus potentially causing you to draw into more kill switches) AND dumped your opponent's momentum (two key factors leading to victory), the other just gives you useless foundations

*HERE COMES A NEW CRITIC!*

Carefree - Remember how I said NEWFS didn't really support blocking? Santa vaca! Finally they created a foundation just for Shinji! Naturally, I will run Carefree in likely anything I can, ESPECIALLY in Air James Hata

Assassin's Strike - Not a big fan. Even with you use it with Need to Destroy for a lustrious Multiple: 2 that can replace Dark Geodude, that's...all it is, really. I mean, yes, generating 2 blank foundations (4 total if you use Need to Destroy) is indeed handy, but I mean, outside of using it as a killswitch, I just don't find it too terribly useful. But, it's definitely not BAD.

Waterfall - This card annoys me hardcore. The static I lawl at (honestly, why did they even bother giving it a multiple?), but that aside...

I'm very, very angry about that E. The days of Deceptive Look/Raph-FoF have returned. 8 difficulty schmifficulty, I'll gladly play an attack for 8 if it's basically an auto-win.

I realize the number of weapons is limited, especially on good ones, but I mean, uber pumping speed, especially in Life (hi Robes-Drossel, Ostrheinsburg - Gay Vampires, Keeper of the Watchers, Just Kidding, assumed Xianghua speed pump) isn't as hard as it may seem, and while it's not brokensauce, I just really didn't want to see THAT ability come back, ESPECIALLY since not only is the Combo NOT Xianghua or symbol-exclusive, BUT, THE CARD'S A FREAKIN RARE!

Never the less, time will prove its worth, and with each spoiler I get more excited for the pre-release.

Here's to seeing some spoiled characters next time <3.

MarcoPulleaux said:

I realize the number of weapons is limited, especially on good ones, but I mean, uber pumping speed, especially in Life (hi Robes-Drossel, Ostrheinsburg - Gay Vampires, Keeper of the Watchers, Just Kidding, assumed Xianghua speed pump) isn't as hard as it may seem, and while it's not brokensauce, I just really didn't want to see THAT ability come back, ESPECIALLY since not only is the Combo NOT Xianghua or symbol-exclusive, BUT, THE CARD'S A FREAKIN RARE!

You know when I asked for more symbols to get speed hate in that set?

I knew this would happen. With my psychic powers because I'm not a playtester.

Execution Technique First Rite > Execution Technique Second Rite > . . .
. . Waterfall

"Tricked ya!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. Also an entertaining note that it can combo off of Assets in a pinch. Oh, and I'll be playing that foundation, even if just for the picture. Frankly, it has been my experience that all three of those symbols need more blocks on their foundations hella bad in general. Getting such a nice one is like an effect in and of itself!

Tagrineth said:

ROTBI said:

Oh god, you're nitpicking about a common losing its value? What the ****? >_>; Oh man that 10c I could've had really burns me right up

Dark Logos: Wrath of Heaven technically needs a 10, not an 8 (much like how Waterfall technically needs an 8, not a 6...)

I start off playing Wrath of Heaven so I always check it as an 8. I don't really use the Combo E.

ZeeroYui said:

.. . Waterfall

"Tricked ya!"

Hehe, nice Xianghua reference.