Dumb Bolter Question

By DamienUndoon, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

Hello there fellow Deathwatch fanatics! This is my first time posting on these boards and I'm kind of embarrassed because it seems like a dumb question, but one I want made clear for my too-literal-leaning mind.

Ok, so for example, let's say my nameless Deathwatch Devastator marine has a BS of 55. He takes aim at a big Tyranid and fires off a full burst of heavy bolter shells. The player rolls and gets a 23 -- that means he hit and achieved said hit with three degrees of success. Damage is stated to be 1D10+12...

[Here's where I lose myself]

...if he fired 6 shots (the RoF for the Heavy Bolter).

Does that mean that because he hit with three degrees of success, that 3 out of the 6 hit? Or did they all hit?

Do I roll 1D10+12 damage for each heavy bolt shell that hit the target (either 3 or 6)?

Maybe this is just one of those things I've overlooked in the core book, but it's bothering the hell out of me that I don't understand this. Can someone please help? Pretend I'm deaf, dumb, and blind and use small words with loud volume.

He takes aim at a big Tyranid and fires off a full burst of heavy bolter shells. The player rolls and gets a 23 -- that means he hit and achieved said hit with three degrees of success. Damage is stated to be 1D10+12...

[Here's where I lose myself]

...if he fired 6 shots (the RoF for the Heavy Bolter).

Does that mean that because he hit with three degrees of success, that 3 out of the 6 hit? Or did they all hit?

Do I roll 1D10+12 damage for each heavy bolt shell that hit the target (either 3 or 6)?

Let us analyze the situation step by step :

0) If player uses Aim action , then h e receives a bonus to BS test. Don't forget distance modifiers. But let the difficulty be 55.

1) He hit the target (Corebook p.244) in the body (Table 8-3, p.244) - by at least one bolt. 1 hit.

2) He got three additional level of success - each Degree of Success scores an extra hit - up to weapon Full Auto rate of fire. +3 hits. (Corebook p.239). Heavy bolter use all 6 bolts.

3) You roll damage separately for all 4 hits (using Table 8-2, p.239 to determine locations of additional hits).

Edited by Jargal

Cool. That's the line of reasoning that I was aiming towards. I appreciate you laying it out, step by step. I can't describe how often being so clear and often literal helps in most situations.