Taal priest & Noble side quests

By k7e9, in WFRP Gamemasters

Hi all,

We're playing The Enemy Within (3ed) so small spoilers below. As GM I've tried to insert side quests during travels to fit the various PCs.

For example we had an undead problem crop up that put the Amethyst Wizard in the spotlight, and a corrupted and rampaging Treeman for our Wood Elf to solve. Obviously the rest of the party helped, but it put their character into focus. Also they got some cool bonuses from completing their side quests. The Amethyst wizard got a magical staff and the Wood Elf aquired Magical Sight.

That was during the travels from Averland to Middenheim.

On the trip Middenheim to Altdorf I want to have similar short encounters that fit a Taal priest and a Noble/Knights Panther.

Any suggestions on fun and thematic side quests for those PCs that can be done in one or two sessions? A lot of the adventuring in Middenheim allready fit well for the noble character, so my main focus is finding something cool for the Taal Priest who needs some time in the limelight. But it would be nice to have a short noble adventure as well.

And any ideas on rewards that fit and is similar to the rewards given to the Wizard and Wood Elf?

Hmmm,

An "omen" such as a stag being chased by corrupted shadowy figures reveal a threat to something Taal considers important, a deep voice calling out "Green Watcher [a sometime title for priests of Taal] you are called."

There is a beastmen/shaman plan to corrupt a menhir or circle, likely by slaughtering a bunch of innocents and using blood magic, some site of Taalist importance/reverence - a chance to stop them then comes up.

Or perhaps the beastman have captured a special stag, one which is sacred to Taal and plan to sacrifice it in their desecration ritual (recall the "Horned Stag" is a divine servant of Taal).

(to give the elf an interest the site could be very ancient and show signs elves added additional work to it before the War of the Beard)

Depending on where PC's are, move the Rock at Split Waters in 2nd edition Tome of Salvation (p. 168) or use the threat to it as a template.

As long as not corrupted the site could give the Taalist benefits per Sacred Site on page 36 of Signs of Faith.

As a reward, an item he wields could be blessed if he succeeds, e.g., a weapon he favours gets a fortune die added to it and counts as 'magical/blessed' whenever facing creatures, perhaps gains a Quality such as Piercing.

He could "just happen to see" something protruding from the earth at the site, a horn token for example. The "Lucky Charm" card's artwork is appropriate to a Taalist but could have different effect, such as a bonus on Animal Handling and Nature Lore checks.

The event could also serve to prove his worthiness to progress in the ranks of his faith, the more narrative requirement for initiate - disciple - priest.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I like the thought of helping a special stag, it might be fun if the stag drops it's antlers when all is done and the Taal Priest gets the Lucky Charm card.

There is a really cool sidequest in Witcher 3 that involves Leshen - kind of woodland spirits/monsters. Here is a link to a Youtube playthrough video of that quest (spoilers for Witcher 3, obviously):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJX7dwDxIc

I think that quest could be used as a WFRP encounter pretty much as is. Involves cool monsters and a choice to be made by the Taal PC.

I've lost track of the number of quests I've done in Witcher 3 that I thought could inspire my WFRP gming. Not done the quest you're talking about and I won't for fear of spoilers but I'll watch out for it in game :)

@d6: I like it, I'll probably do a version of that quest and modify it with some of valvoriks ideas. :) Should be entertaining for the Taal priest.

If you write up any notes on that they would be great to share as a "short encounter" or "one pager".

If I write anything other than shortt handwritten notes I'll definiltly post the result. :)