Adventures

By Karl R, in WFRP Gamemasters

I saw that the next item (besides extra dice) available for WHFRP3 is the Adventurer's Kit...New Careers, Action Cards, etc.

Any adventures going to be published soon?

Are adventures from the 2nd (and 1st) edition compatible? Anyone looked between them and seen if a conversion is necessary?

I'll be finishing my "False Pretenses" scenario shortly. It was supposed to be for the WFRP2 scenario contest entry, but I figure why bother with the old edition at this point? As soon as I get some concrete game stuff, I'll be able to finish it up. Hopefully other authors will follow suit.

Id imagine there will be some prior edition scenario conversions too, however new ones will be welcome..especially now that elves are 50% of the playable races.

Jh

I've got a scenario I've been working on converting. It's actually kind of fun to write, coming up with new ways to run the mini-challenges using the tracking pieces. However, I'm prepping for the demo event, and I've got some other projects in the pipe, so it will be a while before I get a chance to work on it :(

We've heard some hints of a "Project Thunderbolt" which is apparently a boxed campaign set coming soon.

I've briefly considered converting Lure of the Liche Lord, but I think it might be too much trouble to beef up the characters enough for them to survive...

I might just break down and run that first book of the EW again...

eihort said:

We've heard some hints of a "Project Thunderbolt" which is apparently a boxed campaign set coming soon.

I've briefly considered converting Lure of the Liche Lord, but I think it might be too much trouble to beef up the characters enough for them to survive...

I might just break down and run that first book of the EW again...

That's true, I heard about "project Thunderbolt" also. It was mentioned in one of the designers dairies. So after I will get my hand on Core set and toolkit I will wait for the release of Thunderbolt.

Just like NezziR - I was recemtly working on a scenario so I can play many hours befor the Thunderbolt comes out.

Project Thunderbolt. That's an unfortunate cheesy name, even if it's just a working title.

Without wanting to be disrespectful, why do americans love those "bigger than big" project titles ? It's just too corny.

And doesn't fit the WFRP universe at all.

Remember Shadows over Bogenhafen ? That's a title. Creepy... Suspensful.

Project Thunderbolt ? What kind of mental images do you get with this title ? Wizards on mountain tops ? Mechanic horses powered by lightning ? Dwarf runemasters working in the crackling light of runic energy unleashed ? Dragon Ogres having a picnic in a thunderstorm ? Beh.

Jericho said:

Project Thunderbolt. That's an unfortunate cheesy name, even if it's just a working title.

Without wanting to be disrespectful, why do americans love those "bigger than big" project titles ? It's just too corny.

And doesn't fit the WFRP universe at all.

Remember Shadows over Bogenhafen ? That's a title. Creepy... Suspensful.

Project Thunderbolt ? What kind of mental images do you get with this title ? Wizards on mountain tops ? Mechanic horses powered by lightning ? Dwarf runemasters working in the crackling light of runic energy unleashed ? Dragon Ogres having a picnic in a thunderstorm ? Beh.

I assume that Project Thunderbolt is about the Storm of Chaos.

Many Americans find over the top names like "Project Thunderbolt" or "Shock & Awe" to be deeply embarrassing. I must admit Project Thunderbolt does sound so bad that I think it is correct to question the mentality of writers that name an adventure "Project Thunderbolt" when writing for a low fantasy game.

I agree that titles such as Shadows Over Bogenhafen, Death on the Reik or Power Behind the Throne sound interesting and creepy while Project Thunderbolt sounds like a low budget action movie.

Holy Sigmar said:

I think it is correct to question the mentality of writers that name an adventure "Project Thunderbolt" when writing for a low fantasy game.

That's not actually the name of the adventure.

monkeylite said:

Holy Sigmar said:

I think it is correct to question the mentality of writers that name an adventure "Project Thunderbolt" when writing for a low fantasy game.

That's not actually the name of the adventure.

Jay Little has refered to the first adventure as Project Thunderbolt more than once.

"Jay Little has refered to the first adventure as Project Thunderbolt more than once."

Yes, it's the code name.

Yes, a lot of projects have strange and cheesy codes names, that often have absolutely nothing to do with their contents or their real title. Secretive movies sometimes do it, like the newest Star Wars flicks, et al.

dvang said:

Yes, a lot of projects have strange and cheesy codes names, that often have absolutely nothing to do with their contents or their real title. Secretive movies sometimes do it, like the newest Star Wars flicks, et al.

Seconding this. What was the goofy name that they gave Episode I? Whatever it was, it made the project sound like it was a romantic chick flick. Hilarious.

Jericho said:

a title. Creepy... Suspensful.

A Bad rip off of James Bond. Thats what I think of......

Heheh, I also think of James Bond when I hear that. But I have to say, I can enjoy those ridiculously over the top titles. They're goofy fun, but I'd hate it if something like "Project Thunderbolt" were actually used on a WFRP project.

As a code title, it's pretty funny, though. People shouldn't be too serious about these things.

And let's not forget Warhammer is still a pretty over the top world, even if you're just looking at WFRP and neglecting WFB completely (WFB being absolutely, completely and utterly so over the top that the top must be lost somewhere in the deep mists far beneath).

When I hera "Project Thunderbolt" is remainds me of james Bond, it's good thats it's only a code name for thet secret project.

Getting back to the main title of this forum:

Do You remember Arianka - goddess of justice from 1st edition? There was written that She was beaten by a unnamed Chaos God and that He traped Her in a crystal coffin somewhere in the Old World. Her prision can be unlocked only by crystal keys, nobody know how many of the crystal keys there are and where they are. Nobody know even if the keys are hidden all in the same place. Some people say that's this secret [place where She is inprisoned is in Praag.

That's my idea to start my new campain in the Old World, the 3 heroes will be hired by 3 other persons, they won't know that they will be looking for the same artefacts (crystal keys). But every one of them will have some other purpose to do that. I wondering how they will come out of this.

The adventure will start when they all, unknowing each other, will be ridding a carriage to a plaece called Dead Man's Pass on a stormy night. The first thing will be a thunder strike that hits a near tree and kills the horses. The carriage will broke on the middle of the road and our heroes will have to face the dark that hide between the trees.

What do You think of that?

I'm thinking I'm going to pull out my old DoomStones campaign books and give them a go converting to 3e ... while also tweaking them so they play better. I always thought they were so close to being a good campaign.

ffgfan said:

Do You remember Arianka - goddess of justice from 1st edition? There was written that She was beaten by a unnamed Chaos God and that He traped Her in a crystal coffin somewhere in the Old World. Her prision can be unlocked only by crystal keys, nobody know how many of the crystal keys there are and where they are. Nobody know even if the keys are hidden all in the same place. Some people say that's this secret [place where She is inprisoned is in Praag.

That's my idea to start my new campain in the Old World, the 3 heroes will be hired by 3 other persons, they won't know that they will be looking for the same artefacts (crystal keys). But every one of them will have some other purpose to do that. I wondering how they will come out of this.

The adventure will start when they all, unknowing each other, will be ridding a carriage to a plaece called Dead Man's Pass on a stormy night. The first thing will be a thunder strike that hits a near tree and kills the horses. The carriage will broke on the middle of the road and our heroes will have to face the dark that hide between the trees.

What do You think of that?

If you can find it, you might want to check out Roysten Crow's "Fragments of Twilight" campaign. Sadly his website is gone and I am not sure if its available anywhere obvious on the web.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess the main antagonist in the "Project Thunderbolt" adventure will be a Dragon Ogre of some sort.

szlachcic said:

I am going to go out on a limb and guess the main antagonist in the "Project Thunderbolt" adventure will be a Dragon Ogre of some sort.

I am betting it will be Surtha Lenk and the first strike vanguard of the Storm of Chaos. Whoever it is, I'm betting the adventure takes place during the Storm of Chaos.

-Thorvid

Thorvid said:

szlachcic said:

I am betting it will be Surtha Lenk and the first strike vanguard of the Storm of Chaos. Whoever it is, I'm betting the adventure takes place during the Storm of Chaos.

-Thorvid

Thats a good guess too, but I sincerely hope they don't bring the Storm of Chaos storyline into this. That was just a big mess and needs to be forgotten IMO. Although I have to admit it would be pretty neat to have an adventure when you are going about doing the standard questing thing and all of a sudden the vanguard of an invading horde is passing through haha.

No way: it will all be about Chaos Dwarfs. What with their meter tall Babylonian hats and pig tusks. What formidable foes!

... serio.gif

Necrozius said:

No way: it will all be about Chaos Dwarfs. What with their meter tall Babylonian hats and pig tusks. What formidable foes!

... serio.gif

Haha, that would be hilarious. To be fair to Chaos Dwarfs, judging by the small amount of newer artwork they are in they look more like their standard cousins in stout Chaos armor. Also, before someone corrects b/c I know they will try, Dwarfs is the correct term when talking about Warhammer (there are no "Dwarves").