Missing a Turn and Something Happening at the Start of Your Next Turn

By Osbo25, in Talisman Rules Questions

...but you're wrong. ;-]

For what it's worth, I played a game of Talisman Digital Edition last night and an AI character was Toaded by the Leprechaun Adventure Card on the Highland Entrance. On his next turn, he moved to the Crags and rolled a 2, triggering a missed turn. Sure enough the missed turn did not count towards his turns for being a Toad. I know the DE of the game isn't exactly a rules judge or anything, but I read this thread and had to share my observation.

However, I agree with others in this thread and in my games play it as if a Toad misses a turn it counts for their Toad turns. Being a Toad is already bad enough that you lose your stuff and typically lose a few life in the process.

Destroy Magic remains in effect until Character 1 actually takes a turn.

Quote a rule or FAQ for this and maybe I'll listen. although DE is not a 100% argument solver, in DE when you are toaded and miss a turn, it counts for one of your three toaded turns as it should.

So which is it? Does the digital edition count missed turns or not? One person says no. Another person says yes.

In digital edition a missed turn counts as a turn.

Bludgeon, I find you to be trolling jackass. Your responses are rude, Curt, and arrogant. Your own liners really prove a lot. Grow up.

Hey, guys its ok to disagree. No need to be rude.

It seems that no matter what we say everyone is not going to agree. Like I said before just make a house rule before play and nip it in the bud. So long as all players know whats going on does it really matter? I mean geeeez.

And yes the DE counts a missed turn as a turn. And I play the DE I do not agree "by a long shot" but there are heaps of rule probs (like I said before) that are the same but because I know them before I play (well now I do:)) its ok. And from experience I have learnt that the DE is like this so I have come to expect a bit (well more than a bit but you know) of rule fudging but in DE defense that's the way Nomad designed the game, that's the way they think it should be played and sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong. I know they are doing a great job and it must be hard to please everyone indeed.

But that's why DE is not the best example of proper game play.

I tend to think that Nomad developers must have had a hotline to FFG designers. Uvatha you said there is a lot of rules problems in a steam forum could you possibly throw a link in here? I would enjoy checking that out

I tend to think that Nomad developers must have had a hotline to FFG designers. Uvatha you said there is a lot of rules problems in a steam forum could you possibly throw a link in here? I would enjoy checking that out

You would think so but I have no idea, you would think that if they did they would of gotten it right to begin with. But hey I might be wrong a new FAQ might come out tomorrow saying that a missed turn is a turn. But of course until then its should be played as a missed turn does not count as a turn.

Link under like I said there is heaps there some (most) are programming errors bugs but there is a lot of game rule discussion.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/247000/discussions/2/

Edited by Uvatha

Bludgeon, I find you to be trolling jackass. Your responses are rude, Curt, and arrogant. Your own liners really prove a lot. Grow up.

I apologise for my tone, I didn't mean to offend you. I know I can come off as harsh at times. Lets not fight, we're all talisman fans here, perhaps sometimes too passionate ;)

I've been discussing this with my wife, and her solution is similar to what others have mentioned here, but yet for both of us it raises another question.

Since Talisman is a story ( "As play progresses a story unfolds from turn to turn." p. 2 of the base game rule book), if you can tell the story of what you were doing for those two turns that you missed then they still count as turns. For example, if you lose a turn on the basis of an encounter with the Reaper then you can explain it that you were playing a game of chess with Death; of if you were lost in the Crags or the Forest then you can explain that you were wandering to find your way out. That tells a story.

But if you cannot explain what you were doing then they do not count as turns. That is, if you ever have an encounter that simply says, "Lose a turn," with no explanation of what you were doing for that turn then those turns are directed more toward the human being playing the character rather than the character in the story. For example, if you lose to Medusa you are instructed to lose two turns instead of losing a life, but no explanation for why you lose those turns is given on the card; or if another character defeats you with Frostbite (I think that's the name of the weapon) and forces you to lose a life then you also miss your next turn, again, without explanation. Now, sure, you can guess why you miss those turns, but without a proper explanation on the card it is nothing more than a guess. In those instances those turns would not count.

So it's really something that is handled on a case-by-case basis and requires additional input from the game itself in order to determine if the missed turn counts as a turn or not.

We're still working through it.

But the question that is raises is this: let's say you have the Spellbook, which grants you a spell at the start of your turn. Does the Spellbook stop working simply because you are playing a game of chess with Death or are lost in the Crags or the Forest? Since this is telling a story, the answer has to be no . Those things that would activate at the start of your turn would not stop working simply because you are distracted by doing something else.

This is one of the points that I was trying to make earlier. If there is still a start of the turn then anything that activates at the start of the turn must still be addressed. This holds especially true if the argument for the turn still being a turn is that your character was busy doing something else.

The whole point of the missed turn is not simply that you can't move because you were doing something else. It's that everything pertaining to your character ceases to function at your turn in the round. You get nothing.

But yet if all you are doing is saying, "Oh, well, I was lost and that's why I couldn't move," then that doesn't explain why your Spellbook or other special ability stops working.

But if you say, "This turn doesn't count as a turn," then that does cover why your Spellbook or other special ability stops working.

So from that perspective, I am inclined to stick with my original position that a missed turn doesn't count as a turn. There are instances where this can be a perceived double punishment (such as with the Toad), but there are also instances where it can be a blessing (such as if Dark Denizens is in effect and you have a weak character). That's simply the way the game goes. You take the good, you take the bad, and there you have it: the facts of life Talisman.

But if you can give me a good rational reason why your Special Ability stops working during your missed turn, I might possibly be swayed to change my position. After all, I love a good story, and I love telling a good story through Talisman.

But the question that is raises is this: let's say you have the Spellbook, which grants you a spell at the start of your turn. Does the Spellbook stop working simply because you are playing a game of chess with Death or are lost in the Crags or the Forest? Since this is telling a story, the answer has to be no . Those things that would activate at the start of your turn would not stop working simply because you are distracted by doing something else.

As I see it Spellbook is something that storywise gives you spells after you've read it not just by itself sending them into your head. If you're stuck doing something else, trying to find a way out of the Crags or a swamp, I suppose you don't have time for reading books.

My understanding is FFG and Nomad don't communicate much. Nomad mostly deals with GW.

As far as the story bit, Medusa turns people to stone, so for two turns you're stone and can't do anything, and frost bite either freezes you solid for a turn or gives you pneumonia or something. So then the question would be does the magic making you a frog still continue to expire while you're made of stone? I'd still say yes lol.

The funny thing is, were a FAQ released about this, it too is just the opinion of individuals, and they probably play a lot less talisman than many of us (I've been playing since 1988 myself), their job just happens to be making games.

I did just take a gander at the rules and it says under Losing a Turn:

Any instructions resulting in the loss of a turn by a characters encountering them ends the characters turn immediately. This counts as a missed turn for that character if there are other cards to be encountered: otherwise, he misses his next turn instead.

This wording seems to support a missed turn is a turn, as a half completed turn "counting" as a missed turn was still a turn, was it not?

As far as the story bit, Medusa turns people to stone, so for two turns you're stone and can't do anything, and frost bite either freezes you solid for a turn or gives you pneumonia or something. So then the question would be does the magic making you a frog still continue to expire while you're made of stone? I'd still say yes lol.

The funny thing is, were a FAQ released about this, it too is just the opinion of individuals, and they probably play a lot less talisman than many of us (I've been playing since 1988 myself), their job just happens to be making games.

I did just take a gander at the rules and it says under Losing a Turn:

Any instructions resulting in the loss of a turn by a characters encountering them ends the characters turn immediately. This counts as a missed turn for that character if there are other cards to be encountered: otherwise, he misses his next turn instead.

This wording seems to support a missed turn is a turn, as a half completed turn "counting" as a missed turn was still a turn, was it not?

No it does not, it just confirms that if you lose a turn in the middle of a turn it counts as a missed turn and the player does not need to lose another turn. Now if you are going to miss a turn without having the turn, that's where the debate is...

Now the trouble is 'like it was said before many times' there is nothing saying one way or the other in the rules so as gamer's we have to work out whats the best way to work this out. the problem is if we say a missed turn (complete) is a turn then players will argue that if it counts as a turn then they should have a start and a end (as well as other timing issues) this is totally not the case. The whole point of missing a turn is its missed, skipped lost. And if you go by the rules (what there is) if you have a effect that says 3 turns you have to have 3 turns not 2 and a missed one because its common sense to believe that a missed turn is not a actual turn (even though its called a missed turn).

Now a really good fix is to turn around and say that the toad is now 3 rounds not turns but if you like the idea that talisman was designed to play a certain way and given that in the basic set both turn and round was introduced you have to come to the conclusion that it was designed that way otherwise the word round would of been used in the first place

For what it's worth, I agree with Uvatha, though I have never played this way.

Logic dictates, if you miss a turn, you did not take that turn. If you did not take that turn, why should it count towards an effect that you must endure for 3 of your turns? This is why there is a difference between turns and rounds.

There are many arguments here about "how it should work" or "how it was intended to work", but when you face a question about the rules and there is a disagreement, unless there is an official decision or a house rule on the matter, your only option is to follow what the rules state explicitly.

Edited by Talismangeek

You don't draw a dragon token if you miss a turn...