Another God Damn Poison Rule Idea.

By Crazy Aido, in WFRP House Rules

Hey hey! Because obviously we don't have enough of them. Let me know if this seems close to some of the others, because I'm not arsed looking the rest of them up I don't have time in my busy schedule to check.

So, basically, I was thinking of making Poison a condition, much like fear. Poisoned crits force a difficulty check based on the strength of the poison, failure nets the strength in fatigue. Failure with banes earns you the Poisoned condition, which causes the following...

Poisoned:

Every time you suffer 1 or more fatigue, suffer one wound.

The condition remains until you roll a resilience check to remove it, again, based on the poison strength.You may roll during a rally phase or after resting. You may accumulate successes over several checks. HOWEVER, in order to roll to remove the poisoned condition, you must sacrifice one of your other actions, such as regaining fatigue, wounds or stress.

It's pretty harsh, but I don't think it's incredibly harsh. Opinions?

Sounds like a good poison effect. It's kind of different to other conditions though. Another way to go might be to treat it like a DOT. Depending on poison strength you get a number of recharge tokens on the card.

And the card could read "each time you remove a recharge token from this card, suffer 1 wound".

You could also let characters roll resilience before getting the poison condition, and each success could lower the number of recharge tokens put on the card and obviously chaos stars would add recharge tokens. ;)

Personally I feel that it would be more streamlined and more in line with how other conditions work.

There is a poison rule allready though in the creature guide, for example for the giant spider. I'm guessing you know that there is a poison rule, but on the off chance you missed it. ;)

"When a giant spider inflicts a critical wound, the target suffers fatigue equal to the severety rating of the critical wound."

That can be really harsh, depending on how high the severety is it could knock a character out if they have a few fatigue to start with (or if they have a bunch of wounds and get a flesh wound).

Thanks for the response!

I've checked out how conditions work and I would inclined to change to remove effect and just replace it with "lingering". So you have to wait until your next rest for it to go away.

Yes I have seen the poison effect from Giant Spiders and the like, I just thought it would be nice to have something that could vary in strength, based on the strength of the venom in question. (Like a Wyvern sting, for example.) Also, I like the thought of a lingering effect.

So spiders, wyverns, etc have a poison strength, that requires resilience check on a crit. (I've checked most of the beast actions and it's fairly easy for them to cause a crit.) Failure causes (Poison Strength) in fatigue, banes cause the condition, and the two together causes the fatigue and immediately triggers the wound. It Goes away at the end of your next long-ish rest.

That sounds like a good way to handle poison. I've allways felt that the poison rule in the Creatures Guide wasn't that good or fun. It is streamlined however, and easy to translate when a PC wants to use a poisoned weapon, as the poison has a direct effect.

Your condition is also easy to use if a PC decides to get poisoned weapons. :)

On a side note: I've been GM for an RPG where they probably had at least 20 different kinds of poison, all with very different effects, ingredients and uses. . While it felt realistic, it wasn't that useful in an RPG and the poison rules saw little to no use. Better to have one or a few different poison effects, that are streamlined and easy to use.

I allways prefer to, when possible, work within what the game allready have. So for this I think I'd go for a poison effect just being one or more Condition Card. Since that's also easiest to keep track of.

Combining Conditions like Sorched, Under The Weather and Sluggish quickly starts tearing down a character via Fatigue via synergic effects. Same for combining 'Ead 'Urtz and Frightened.

Intoxicated and Queasy are also obvious choices to simulate being poisoned.

That's an interesting way of looking at it too.

Weakened perhaps as well? It does actually allow for a lot of individuality in particular poison effects. However, my worry is that you would still have to come up with an individual one for each poison, which drags the game down.

Maybe for venom, like poisonous creatures, use a single poison rule so combat doesn't get bogged down. Then for ingested stuff you can play around with individual conditions.

I like that idea too though, consider it stolen.

Yeah, you can probably find some reason to use most of the Condition Cards as a result of poisons.

Blinded: Getting blurry vision? Or monster spitting venom in your face?

'Ed 'Urtz: Pounding headache

Freezing: You start shivering like you are out in the cold

Frenzied: Usually considered a positive effect, but for the wrong character, this would mean poison changing a carefull character into a recless one.

Frightened: Poison induced paranoia or halluciantions.

Perplexed: The poison muddles your mind

Scorched: Fever induced by poison.

Intoxicated, Quesy, Sluggish, Under The Weather and Weakned: Kind of obvious effects. Feelign sick from being poisoned.

Here are some poison rules from an Adventure for FFG's Star Wars System, which is a refinement of the WFRP system:

"Whenever this character would otherwise suffer 1 or more wounds or 1 or more strain, this character suffers that number of wounds or strain plus 2 instead."

Getting rid of the poison requires either anti-venom (to instantly remove it) or a 3 difficulty medicine check.