Armoured Regiment Campaign

By TheFuriousFrank, in Only War Game Masters

My players want to play as the Mordians's 12 Armored, and frankly I'm in need of idead for a vehicle-centered campaign.

Any tips or ideas? :D

The movie Fury should provide you with some inspiration at least. That and you could check out Sahara from 1943 as well.

Make sure they spend some time getting to know the vehicle. Make it a character like the other PCs. Give it quirks, a buff and a drawback that are minor but add character (maybe a random table; +3 to one set of checks and -3 to another). Give them an impression of how it looks. Will they be a new crew or veterans? What's the party make-up?

For missions, mix it up. Start on open ground with an armour duel to find their footing, then mix it up with some close-quarters grenade dodging. Give them missions where they have to leave the tank to throw them off the ball.

Otherwise just read some books, watch some films, and get an idea of what it's like to live for a long period of time with 3-5 other people in a cramped, hot, stinking, potentially incendiary steel box.

For me it's simple. If you want your players to mostly blow up stuff - send them against other vehicles in the open. If you want them to **** their pants - send them against anti-armor infantry in a city.

I highly recommend reading tactics manuals, boring, but you get all sorts of fun (by fun I mean pant's crappingly scary) situations from those. Also, siege campaigns and fighting through city streets on a tank is really fun.

The real challenges are getting around obstacles. Cities provide dead ends, swamps and no glands are naturally dangerous to armor, etc.

Mandatory reading: Gunheads (Cadian armoured regiment story)

I had some questions about how to work a tank campaign a while back- we discussed it in this thread. Worth a look.

Indeed. Fury has a lot of encounters that can be played up - everything from formation attacks, fighting in a city - initially with infantry support, subsequently without it, point defence - especially if the tank is immobilized somewhere...

Throwing in a superheavy at least once will keep people on their toes, too.