More Alternate Endings (Support Page)

By Frog, in Talisman

I too would love a bonified DM and CoC ending cards that could be shuffled, but let's encourage more official free web based variants!

These endings better not be in the next set unless they are EXTRA cards plus some all new endings. If there are other new endings in the set then throw in the danse and crown.

Slev said:

HallertauRogue said:

In the mean time, does anyone have any tips on how to print these to best emulate the FFG quality? Type of paper, double sided template?

I'll be printing each side as a digital photograph and spray-mounting the two sides together. To ensure that the cards are indestinguishable, I'll scan and re-print the three cards from Frostmarch.

To print like this, I had to open the PDFs in Acrobat Pro, and save them as JPGs. in doing this I found an alternative illustration behind the shown one on Danse Macabre. I brought this to the front and I'll print that one too, so I can use either one.

Can you possibly post the alternate image?

It is just the image used on the Grim Reaper card from The Reaper expansion.

talismanisland said:

Indeed it is. I think it looks better personally.

Slev said:

talismanisland said:

Indeed it is. I think it looks better personally.

i think too.

Anyway, if i open it with acrobat, i don't see a image there.

Just a white dot in the middle of the black color( on the side where the image of the card should appear.

If i move the page down, you can see some 2 images switching.

I am wondering how to get both images..

JCHendee said:

HallertauRogue said:

In the mean time, does anyone have any tips on how to print these to best emulate the FFG quality? Type of paper, double sided template?

I've done home made character cards, which are much the same. Unfortunately, the PDF wasn't set up best for what I do. I put the front of the card and the back on in the same layout same sheet. I use Photoshop CS 4 Extended, but any graphics program will do The back is positioned below the front and upside down. I print to PDF and take them to print shop for high quality output. Both parts are trimmed as one element approximately 5" x 8". Then the whole is folded, so the bottom becomes the back. I use acid free Elmers glue stick for bonding, and it comes out perfect. Printing is done at a Kinko's or other shop on Photostock; full color is about $1.09 a sheet. Quality is actually superior to the commercial cards, and slightly stiffer and tougher.

Thanks for the tips. I'll be following this method for sure. I've got CS4 as well, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

To get all images and layers out of a PDF, open it with Photoshop CS4 or CS3. If the PDF is not edit and/or export protected... It will present you with a dialog to choose between "pages" and "images"... you want "images". Select the one you want and it will open in a new PSD document. Repreat the process for each image in the PDF.

NOTE: There are other ways to get to images or pages in a PDF. Depending on the version of PDF and settings used to print it, certain hidden or buried layered images may or may not show up. You'll just have to try it, as the other methods I use to get at everything are more difficult and require additional steps. I've also used Acrobat Pro 9, but over all it is cumbersome to accomplish what is easier in PS CS4.

Actually, with Acrobat Pro, you can "export all images" (how i made the ending cards in the homebrew section), or an image then simply it (my DM variant).

I didn't find that option in the Mac edition of AP9. There's File >> Export >> Image >> and image type. It outputs all layers in the PDF to one image. Even the text is inserted into the image. If you're working on a Windows platform, please let me know where you found an "export all images" option or command so that I can see if something like it exists on the Mac side. (I used to be in XP, but not any more, unfortunately)

EDIT: Never mind, I found it in the Advanced menu. However, when saving to PNG, it doesn't maintain the transparency in the images left pane. Opening in Photoshop and choosing images does.

Just got round to printing these out and I noticed that the Crown of Command has changed from when I first saw it. It seems you only encounter other characters on the space rather than attack them now

Geoff

Yes it was changed. I posted about that at the top of Page 3 of this thread.

It was always supposed to be a straight copy of the original Crown, but had that typo.

Maybe I am mistaken but shouldn't the Danse Macbre ending have one of those stars in the corner to indicate that it cannot be a hidden ending? I supose you could use it as a hidden ending, but would miss out on the -1 effect for reaper rolls the entire game until someone reached the COC.

Brando said:

Maybe I am mistaken but shouldn't the Danse Macbre ending have one of those stars in the corner to indicate that it cannot be a hidden ending? I supose you could use it as a hidden ending, but would miss out on the -1 effect for reaper rolls the entire game until someone reached the COC.

No, Danse Macabre must be a hidden ending.

If it has a star, then the reaper is too dangerous in the whole game. Many players will die then...

The "-1 effect" is only in force after the Danse Macabre Ending has been discovered.

Danse Macabre says: "...he must send the Grim Reaper to visit any character in any region." Does this include the Inner Region? The standard rules would say no, but does the alternate ending override?

Velhart said:

If it has a star, then the reaper is too dangerous in the whole game. Many players will die then...

Just curious, where in the rules does it say that this one has to be hidden only? I kind of like that the -1 for Death rolls is in effect all game. It's only more dangerous if you go within 6 spaces of Death. You just need to be more cautious around him in games with Danse Macabre, is all.

talismanisland said:

The "-1 effect" is only in force after the Danse Macabre Ending has been discovered.

Or the whole game, if you are playing the 'Revealed Variant', right? I'm confused now after Velhart's post. I re-read the rules and they seem pretty straight forward.

zogfhyr said:

Danse Macabre says: "...he must send the Grim Reaper to visit any character in any region." Does this include the Inner Region? The standard rules would say no, but does the alternate ending override?

I think this is another case of special ability (ending card) overriding basic rules, where Reaper can and cannot be in this case.

Mattr0polis said:

Velhart said:

Just curious, where in the rules does it say that this one has to be hidden only? I kind of like that the -1 for Death rolls is in effect all game. It's only more dangerous if you go within 6 spaces of Death. You just need to be more cautious around him in games with Danse Macabre, is all.

Hi Matropolis,

My reply for Brando, was indeed a bit confused..

You can use Danse Macabre also for a hidden ending, but you can also play it as a reveal variant off course.(so no sun icon is needed)

The Reaper will become pretty dangerous because of the -1 rolls..

A deadly game demonio.gif

PS: i think that Jon means that Danse Macabre is in effect as soon you discover it, so..with revealed variant, it is alreadty discovered at the beginning of the game.

zogfhyr said:

No, i receive the answer from John Goodenough(about Danse macabre), that the Grim Reaper can never be moved into the Inner Region, even with the: there has been a mistake result..

This means that the player who use DD can not hurt people with the Reaper, who are in the Inner Region

Velhart said:

No, i receive the answer from John Goodenough (about Danse macabre), that the Grim Reaper can never be moved into the Inner Region, even with the: there has been a mistake result..

This means that the player who use DD can not hurt people with the Reaper, who are in the Inner Region

Are you sure You've interpreted him correctly? The FAQ is clear that you cannot move The Reaper to the inner region when a five is rolled, but Danse Macabre very specifically states "in any region" . If this is not correct, it needs an update or a FAQ entry. Note that the current FAQ doesn't really apply to Danse Macabre as the FAQ uses the term 'teleports'. The reaper teleports on a roll of five, but with Danse Macabre he does not teleport - you simply send him.

Incidentally, the FAQ states he can never be teleported to the inner region. If he is already sent there via Danse Macabre, there is no rule saying he can't teleport within the inner region. The only official rules we have are:

• The Reaper can't cross the Portal of Power
  • The Reaper can't teleport to the inner region.

Danse Macabre has loopholes to circumvent these rules.

Even if John was crystal clear, I can't just read your e-mail to the other people I play with! If it's not published somewhere publicly accessible, it's not an official rule I think. Maybe when the FAQ is updated to include Frostmarch this will be addressed.

Well we're at it, we could use a rule for rolling a five when all your opponents are in the inner region. Do you skip it, re-roll, or teleport him to yourself (also a re-roll).

crimhead said:

Velhart said:

No, i receive the answer from John Goodenough (about Danse macabre), that the Grim Reaper can never be moved into the Inner Region, even with the: there has been a mistake result..

Are you sure You've interpreted him correctly? The FAQ is clear that you cannot move The Reaper to the inner region when a five is rolled, but Danse Macabre very specifically states "in any region" . If this is not correct, it needs an update or a FAQ entry. Note that the current FAQ doesn't really apply to Danse Macabre as the FAQ uses the term 'teleports'. The reaper teleports on a roll of five, but with Danse Macabre he does not teleport - you simply send him.

Incidentally, the FAQ states he can never be teleported to the inner region. If he is already sent there via Danse Macabre, there is no rule saying he can't teleport within the inner region. The only official rules we have are:

• The Reaper can't cross the Portal of Power
  • The Reaper can't teleport to the inner region.

Danse Macabre has loopholes to circumvent these rules.

Even if John was crystal clear, I can't just read your e-mail to the other people I play with! If it's not published somewhere publicly accessible, it's not an official rule I think. Maybe when the FAQ is updated to include Frostmarch this will be addressed.

Well we're at it, we could use a rule for rolling a five when all your opponents are in the inner region. Do you skip it, re-roll, or teleport him to yourself (also a re-roll).

Hi Crimhead.

I shall copy my mail here, but i see that i have also made a mistake in my question about sending and teleporting on the grim reaper chart, but the question is still about the Danse Macabre.

oke here it goes happy.gif

I have another question about the bonus ending Danse Macabre.

If a player use the reaper with the Danse Macabre ending, and he send the reaper to a other player, can that other player( if he rolls a 6-1=5) send the reaper back to the player who is standing at the end in the Inner space. Does the ending overides the rule that the reaper cannot go into the inner region)

A: The Reaper can never be moved into the Inner Region even with the "There has been a mistake" result.

-

As you see, my question is actually about the Danse Macabre, but now that you mention about teleporting and sending, i have the feeling that John has not answer the question about the danse macabre ending. preocupado.gif

I have send another question to John, but did not receive a answer.

Just to note, Danse Macabre states: "...he must send the Grim Reaper to visit any character in any region", while by contrast the FAQ for moving the Reaper from the Treasure Chamber specifies: "...he must immediately move to any space in any Region (except the Inner Region)... "

As currently worded, it really looks like you can send him to any region (with Danse Macabre). If John tells you otherwise he should change the wording to match, but I'd be surprised if the distinction was accidental - what else are you supposed to do there (CoC) when your last opponent is in the inner region, just wait?

Did you ask him the protocol for rolling a five when your only opponents are in the inner region?

crimhead said:

Just to note, Danse Macabre states: "...he must send the Grim Reaper to visit any character in any region", while by contrast the FAQ for moving the Reaper from the Treasure Chamber specifies: "...he must immediately move to any space in any Region (except the Inner Region)... "

As currently worded, it really looks like you can send him to any region (with Danse Macabre). If John tells you otherwise he should change the wording to match, but I'd be surprised if the distinction was accidental - what else are you supposed to do there (CoC) when your last opponent is in the inner region, just wait?

Did you ask him the protocol for rolling a five when your only opponents are in the inner region?

Hi Crimhead,

I have ask John in the following mail (that i have already send to him) about, if a player can use the DD to send the reaper to someone who is standing in the inner region.

But i did not receive a answer yet, and it's 2 weeks ago when i have send it to him..